I know nothing about Droids, so I can't comment on them. My wife got a new iPhone 4. I like the iPhone - without any apps yet installed navigating is really easy and intuitive. Almost everything is available from one screen.

But with very light usage her battery went from full charge at start of day to 14% by 10p.m. This is bad - she didn't yet have email configured and only made a few calls and texts. Bluetooth is off, but WiFi on. A lot of people are having drainage issues since the update to OS 4.1. In 20 minutes I watched the meter drop from 21% to 14%. It was like watching a countdown timer. Not really an all-in-one device when you have to carry a charger around with you.

At 10 p.m. I still had 60% of battery life after ~ 3hrs of usage. I'll keep my Torch.
    Last edited by Altarocks; 09-17-10 at 10:02 AM.
    09-17-10 09:38 AM
    You can't leave overclocking and underclocking at will to users... If developers design apps or games to run at a certain performance level and then users start reporting bugs that it doesn't run properly, except the problem is every single person is running at a different cpu speed....

Not to mention now you have to test all native software at every single possible speed cap. Basically you're driving development costs up for everyone

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-10 09:38 AM
    1 - If you don't agree with this, you're blinded. Go use a Samsung Galaxy S.. it's FAST. The iPhone4 is FAST. The Torch is LAGGY. If you don't see this, you're what the rest of the world calls a fanboi.

Really? They are all "fast". The Torch is not as "fast". because its not as "fast" as the others doesn't deem it "laggy".

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Interesting that you would say that the Torch "lags".....as compared to what? I have owned the droid incredible, iphone 3gs, and have played with others which claim to be fast. What is true, IMO (in my opinioin, for those who need clarification) when I upgraded to the .214 update the applications opened just as fast as those on the devices with higher speed processors. The only area which I would say lags is the browser, but even it is a huge improvement over what we used to have. The Torch is FAST and it just seems that some folks just prefer the media phones over a business/pleasure phone.

One other comment: The phones mentioned here NEED the extra processing speed for the 3D graphics, video, and other media functions. These phones were again made for media and PRIMARILY for those who prefer gaming etc. Any BB is made for business and productivity as well as pleasure and does not REQUIRE the extra "processor power" not speed, in order to function well and be just as FAST.
    09-17-10 11:39 AM
    One thing on the tethering, while WiFi mobile hotspot would be nice, there is the Bluetooth and USB option. Personally, if I'm on vacation or otherwise need an internet connection for my laptop, I know I can do it through Bluetooth. Then, there's no need to share with the five closest strangers.
    09-17-10 12:23 PM
    One thing on the tethering, while WiFi mobile hotspot would be nice, there is the Bluetooth and USB option. Personally, if I'm on vacation or otherwise need an internet connection for my laptop, I know I can do it through Bluetooth. Then, there's no need to share with the five closest strangers.
    True.

Although with the mobile hotspot option, you have the option of setting up a WEP key.
    09-17-10 01:30 PM
    All I can think of is LOL.

Phones are preference as everyone said. Pick what works for you. IMO the Torch is a solid device with the most recent leaked OS .225. Why would I need a 1 GHZ processor and super high resolution on my phone? So I can show off my stat sheet? High rez is a cool little perk, but when I look at my 9800 screen it looks good. And the system is snappy and runs pretty smooth. On major FULL websites with massive pictures I get a little bit of lag, but that's really it.

So...............If my system runs good, why would I want another 300-400 mhz? so my battery dies faster...? The device is right sized. The Torch will keep me content until the Torch 2 comes out.
    +1.

2nd day with the Torch, coming from a Bold 9000, which if it weren't for a display that I find too small and a browser that's straight out of the paleolithic period, I'd be content to hang onto until it wheezes its last breath. But I like new toys, and I like to do the occasional mobile browsing, and the 9000 just wasn't cutting it any more.

I am NOT a videophile ... I do not now nor ever have needed HD video on my phone. For everything I've done and everything I plan to do, VGA on that small a screen just works. I've seen the Samsung Epic 4G, which technologically is the cat's azz for Android phones. But it's not available on AT&T, where I have a family plan and two other phones in mid-contract. And if it were available, well, I'd still have to think long and hard about abandoning a platform I've come to be so comfortable with. I've also seen the iPhone, up close and personal. Let me assure you, it is not without its bugs and quirks, particularly after just about any OS upgrade. And besides that, I can't live without a physical keyboard.

My last two phones have both been BB's -- the 9000 and a Curve before that. I had basically zero issues with either of them, with my only complaints being, as mentioned, the browser and screen size. So when the Torch was introduced, I figured it would be just what the doctor ordered. As Jghost23 says, it's simply a solid device. It takes the best of what BB previously offered and adds to it a few more goodies. If you absolutely have to have HD video on a 4" screen, well, BB probably isn't for you. While it would of course be a nice-to-have, I would think that most previous BB users probably don't need that.

As for browser performance, it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything else BB has offered, though obviously not quite up to the capabilities of the heavy-duty competition. But again, that's not what I use my phone for. Any media-intensive web site is going to bog down on just about any mobile device simply due to the limited bandwidth available on mobile networks. We're all bound by the same wireless limitations; no amount of processing horsepower can fix that.

It's only been one day so far with the Torch, but I think I'm going to be happy with it ... it's perfectly adequate for what I do with a phone. Whether I become as attached to it as I did with my Bold remains to be seen.
    09-17-10 03:47 PM
    @18to12fitty....I like your post!
    09-17-10 04:27 PM
    10 reasons why i won't read another thread with 10 reasons on it...
    it's the same fruit!
    09-17-10 06:20 PM
    I'll just parrot what others have said: the Torch does what it needs to do with aplomb. It may not win on a spec sheet, but when combining security, messaging, phone, browsing, and media, it's just the right combination for me and many others.

One thing I haven't seen pointed out wrt the iPhone 3GS comparison. I had one for about 3 months. Awesome browsing and apps device. Horrible for messaging and emailing. Had to jump through WAY too many hoops to create a message, add recipients, attach files, etc. And with texting, you couldn't even do a "resend"...had to forward it or create a new message. Finally, could not create "Groups" of recipients, which blew me away. There are 3rd party apps for that, though. Still...HATED, HATED, HATED messaging on that thing...unbelievably cumbersome when compared to a BB.

Everything else was pretty cool though, except typing on a touch screen.
    09-17-10 07:52 PM
84 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD