over half those reasons are highly suspect or subjective, but honestly I don't really care about most of them or who likes what phone as long as it does what I want/need it to do.. no phone is perfect, not even my precious BB (it does happen to be the most well-rounded though)...

However, #6 in particular really gets under my skin.. wi-fi tethering is the most overrated "new and cool" feature on a smartphone today.. personally I would never ever want that feature or think of one time it ever would have been useful to me so not having it is far from "ridiculous"...

I don't want it slowing down my phone or my own connection.. I don't want it draining my battery.. plus, on top of all that- why someone else would want to browse the web on their laptop at 3G or possibly even EDGE speeds, I have no idea... they might as well just use their own phone to go on the web if you just need to get something done real fast cuz everyone's phone can go on the web nowadays..

and besides what are people gonna do if your phone can wi-fi tether, go up to everyone with a laptop and ask if they need a really slow wi-fi hotspot?? "ummm, no thanks"... go to starbucks and hang out just waiting to lend a helping hand?? .... I can see it now; "hey, sir, I know I said I would be your hotspot like 4 hours ago, but I kinda hafta, leave...." I'm kidding of course, but you get my point.. doesn't have a very practical application...

arghh! sorry, didn't mean to go off, lol.. please know it's not aimed at you, I just hear all this wi-fi hotspot talk and it's getting so old already for something as new as it is... really seems like one of those features that is there just to say we can do it, and end up using it a few times in the life of the phone when ur hanging out with ur friends and that's it...

so for that to be listed as even 1/10th of the reason it's being returned is in fact "ridiculous"...

just say No to the wi-fi tethering craze! lol
    i don't think you understand the point of tethering and why people use tethering.
    09-16-10 01:13 PM
    i don't think you understand the point of tethering and why people use tethering.
    Yeah he doesn't.
    09-16-10 01:17 PM
    As you can see from my signature below, I'm somewhat on the other side of the fence, though I do agree with you "Smartphones are the future of mobile computer." However, the operative word here is "MOBILE." I think some (if not many) tend to view their device as the be-all-end-all of computing, period. I understand that this may be more symptomatic of economics than anything else (for many on a limited budget, this may be the best way to go, rather than to also have computers at home as well as access to the internet).

We are obviously not "there" yet. Mobile computing is but an adjunct to computing in general, a way to provide quick remote access. Personally, I have little desire to use my device as a replacement for a computer. I don't care how fast it goes, how many cool apps it has or what tricks it can perform, when all of this is done on a comparatively small screen with a comparatively small keyboard (physical or virtual). My desktop monitor is 30" and I calibrate it for brightness, contrast, gamma/color, etc. every two weeks. I trust it's accuracy and I love how easy it is to view even the smallest of fonts and also keep multiple things on display. I even prefer it over having multiple monitors (just a personal preference). I like having CD/DVD drives and players. I like being able to attach 7 or 8 external drives (which I have and use on a daily basis) and flash drives. I like being able to run full blown programs like Photoshop or Office, etc. I don't want to sacrifice for the economy of scale in order to have some variation of the programs on a smartphone. The list goes on.

Bottom line for me is, I am not looking to make my phone a replacement computer but rather, I want it to augment my existing computer technology! Maybe I'm just an old fart, but this works for me

There is no such thing as overkill when people want one device to do everything. Smartphones are becoming that. They browse the web, stream media, download media, make calls, text, email, games....everything. Smartphones are the future of mobile computing.

I really don't understand how it's overkill when you are getting all these great features. You are getting more bang for your buck. It's cheaper than buying a netbook, iPod and a normal phone (maybe not as cheap, but it's all available in one device).
    09-16-10 01:30 PM
    It makes sense when the negative remark stems from a comparison to the iPhone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I know, but it is in general anyways. So many posts I have seen where no one says anything about the iPhone or compares it to any BB, and someone throws out "blah blah blah iPhone sucks" or makes a slick remark about it. It's just funny to read.
    09-16-10 03:21 PM
    As you can see from my signature below, I'm somewhat on the other side of the fence, though I do agree with you "Smartphones are the future of mobile computer." However, the operative word here is "MOBILE." I think some (if not many) tend to view their device as the be-all-end-all of computing, period. I understand that this may be more symptomatic of economics than anything else (for many on a limited budget, this may be the best way to go, rather than to also have computers at home as well as access to the internet).

We are obviously not "there" yet. Mobile computing is but an adjunct to computing in general, a way to provide quick remote access. Personally, I have little desire to use my device as a replacement for a computer. I don't care how fast it goes, how many cool apps it has or what tricks it can perform, when all of this is done on a comparatively small screen with a comparatively small keyboard (physical or virtual). My desktop monitor is 30" and I calibrate it for brightness, contrast, gamma/color, etc. every two weeks. I trust it's accuracy and I love how easy it is to view even the smallest of fonts and also keep multiple things on display. I even prefer it over having multiple monitors (just a personal preference). I like having CD/DVD drives and players. I like being able to attach 7 or 8 external drives (which I have and use on a daily basis) and flash drives. I like being able to run full blown programs like Photoshop or Office, etc. I don't want to sacrifice for the economy of scale in order to have some variation of the programs on a smartphone. The list goes on.

Bottom line for me is, I am not looking to make my phone a replacement computer but rather, I want it to augment my existing computer technology! Maybe I'm just an old fart, but this works for me
    I know what you are saying, but the more my device can do for the money, the better. It allows me to get more things done while I'm out, and entertain me if need be. As long as my smartphone can do that, I'm happy.
    09-16-10 03:33 PM
    I know what you are saying, but the more my device can do for the money, the better. It allows me to get more things done while I'm out, and entertain me if need be. As long as my smartphone can do that, I'm happy.
    Totally agree with you. However, to some people it's not necessarily how much MORE a phone can do for the money, but also what it offers in general. To many people, comparing the Torch to an iPhone for comparisons sake. If they both retail at $200 under contract, some people are going to see 4" screen vs 3.2" screen. 1GHz processor vs 624GHz processor. Thousands of Apps vs Not so many Apps. To some that's a no-brainer. Gimme the bigger and better hardware. To others though, they'll see it as Physical Keyboard vs Touchscreen, Great email vs good email, BBM vs some other form of IM, Familiar OS vs Not so Familiar. And to these people it's also a no-brainer.

It all boils down to what best suits your needs and wants.
    09-16-10 03:53 PM
    Totally agree with you. However, to some people it's not necessarily how much MORE a phone can do for the money, but also what it offers in general. To many people, comparing the Torch to an iPhone for comparisons sake. If they both retail at $200 under contract, some people are going to see 4" screen vs 3.2" screen. 1GHz processor vs 624GHz processor. Thousands of Apps vs Not so many Apps. To some that's a no-brainer. Gimme the bigger and better hardware. To others though, they'll see it as Physical Keyboard vs Touchscreen, Great email vs good email, BBM vs some other form of IM, Familiar OS vs Not so Familiar. And to these people it's also a no-brainer.

I'm fully down with that. To each his own and let things be!
    09-16-10 04:15 PM

I agree. Other platforms do offer excellent email now, and possibly better than BB (desktop quality html email, folder support out of the box and push) depending on what services you use. BBM is very selective as well since it is proprietary. It is all about what works best for you though.
    09-16-10 04:22 PM
    Dude you seriously got on a blackberry user site to bash the newest device by rim? are you trying to sway us or yourself, i hate coming to this site to hear from some whiny ***** about all that is wrong in the world to them, go back to your store and tell them you are not qualified t either offer advice or sell customers blackberry devices. damn
    09-16-10 05:04 PM
    I know, but it is in general anyways. So many posts I have seen where no one says anything about the iPhone or compares it to any BB, and someone throws out "blah blah blah iPhone sucks" or makes a slick remark about it. It's just funny to read.
    That's what BlackBerry trolls do. They either make it personal or introduce something irrelevant ("Android phones are toys!" "iPhone 4 can't make calls!") to divert attention from the BlackBerry's flaws.
    09-16-10 06:13 PM
    Dude you seriously got on a blackberry user site to bash the newest device by rim? are you trying to sway us or yourself, i hate coming to this site to hear from some whiny ***** about all that is wrong in the world to them, go back to your store and tell them you are not qualified t either offer advice or sell customers blackberry devices. damn
    calm down fanboy.
    09-16-10 06:15 PM
    #9 is the best! "Ten reasons I'm returning my torch: I left it in my car" ???? This guy's a complete 1d1ot.
    All I can think of is LOL.

Phones are preference as everyone said. Pick what works for you. IMO the Torch is a solid device with the most recent leaked OS .225. Why would I need a 1 GHZ processor and super high resolution on my phone? So I can show off my stat sheet? High rez is a cool little perk, but when I look at my 9800 screen it looks good. And the system is snappy and runs pretty smooth. On major FULL websites with massive pictures I get a little bit of lag, but that's really it.

So...............If my system runs good, why would I want another 300-400 mhz? so my battery dies faster...? The device is right sized. The Torch will keep me content until the Torch 2 comes out.
    09-16-10 08:41 PM
    So...............If my system runs good, why would I want another 300-400 mhz? so my battery dies faster...? The device is right sized. The Torch will keep me content until the Torch 2 comes out.
    +1

09-16-10 08:47 PM
    But...but...it's not teh 1giglehertz!

Tbh a high res screen would introduce even more app device segmentation, which frankly is not something BB needs right now...
    09-16-10 08:48 PM
    Now this is my first post (literally) and I'm a huge fan of Crackberry. Another odd thing is that I personally have and very happy with my 9700. But this concerns me on a personal level because I do work at a retail store that sells Blackberrys.

Anyway, I was going through my Google Reader and ran into this article by Robb Dunewood. I thought this would be an interesting article for the 9800 users and abusers. The things mentioned seem similar to what was talked about in the last Crackberry Podcast (BlackBerry Torch / Blackberry 6 Special and in Episode 057).

"10 Reasons Why I Am Returning My BlackBerry Torch
    by ROBB DUNEWOOD on SEPTEMBER 14, 2010

I�ve been a die hard BlackBerry user for about the last 7 years or so. I�ve been writing about BlackBerry devices almost daily right here on RIMarkable for about 6 of those seven years. In all of that time I�ve owned well over a dozen different BlackBerry devices, and, I�ve never returned one simply because I didn�t like it.

I guess there is a first time for everything� Shortly after I finish writing this post I am returning my BlackBerry Torch 9800.

10 Reasons Why I am Returning my BlackBerry Torch

1 The BlackBerry Torch is underpowered � The Torch only has a 624 MHz processor, and, when compared to the 1GHz Snapdragons and Hummingbirds found in the latest Android devices as well as the Apple A4 found in the iPhone 4, the BlackBerry Torch is lacking.

You are building backwards, you dont make roads designed to be taken at 35mph and drive 70 on them. The software works, it doesn't need 1gHz to work and BB has always been a minimalist company so to speak in that terms, business first. Most people do NOT need the top of the line computer or phone, why have all that extra power to write emails?

2) Lack of third party application support � The BlackBerry Torch is RIM�s new flagship device and the first device to run BlackBerry 6, RIM�s new BlackBerry operating system. The Torch has been out for almost a month and we still really don�t have any new BlackBerry applications showcasing what BlackBerry 6 can do.

Almost a month....again, give it a break.

3) WebKit BlackBerry Browser not on par with iPhone or Android � A little over a year ago RIM stated that the new Webkit BlackBerry Browser would on par with the iPhone by this summer. To make a long story short� It isn�t. It is light years beyond the old BlackBerry Browser and you can effectively browse just about any website. It just isn�t as smooth as Android, the iPhone, or even webOS, for that matter.

Nope, as an early adopter of new hardware, you are a beta tester

4) The screen on the Torch is too small � I am not sure if the resolution is just to low or if the screen is actually just too small, but, when compared to the screen on my Droid Incredible� Well, it just doesn�t compare.

What do you want your phone to do for you, no BB was really made for high res/HD video playback..... but for reading emails and the like, it works fine.

6) No Wi-Fi Tethering � Having the ability to use your device as a Wi-Fi hotspot today is kind of like having Bluetooth 4 or 5 years ago. Smartphones should have this ability.

7) The BlackBerry Torch is too utilitarian � After the newness wore off, I used the BlackBerry Torch for nothing more than email, BBM, and Twitter.

8) The Torch didn�t allow me to drop down to one device � Until this year, I�ve carried only one smartphone, a BlackBerry, for the past 5 years. Earlier this year a tested a Palm Pre which didn�t offer enough beyond what my BlackBerry could do to warrant carrying multiple devices. I, however, tried out the Droid Incredible shortly after the Pre, and, I know carrier two devices. The Torch simply isn�t a good enough device to get me back down to just one device.

9) Wasn�t that annoyed when I left my BlackBerry Torch at home � I went on a business trip and left my Torch in my car parked at the airport. Other than not having BBM, I really didn�t miss it that much.

10) The BlackBerry Torch, overall, is just underwhelming � It has been a long time since RIM has produced a BlackBerry that made me just feel like it was a must have device. I thought that the BlackBerry Torch was going to be that device which is the only reason I was even willing to give AT&T a shot. At the end of the day, the BlackBerry Torch isn�t a bad device, however, there is nothing about the device that will keep potential BlackBerry defectors from defecting nor will it entice new consumers that didn�t already want a BlackBerry�"

Original Post: 10 Reasons Why I Am Returning My BlackBerry Torch

The rest just comes down to this, what do you want your phone to do for you? What do you want to do with your phone? Anyone buying anything should ask themselves that. That way, you don't buy the wrong car or pay to much for the wrong set of shoes or whatever it is you are doing. BB has never boasted about the media entertainment side. Now solid battery life and and is what it does boast
    09-16-10 09:19 PM
    What most of you fail to realize (I assume because you're used to it by now), is that the Torch IS LAGGY. It's most noticable when browsing non-mobile websites or mutitasking. Am I saying that thje Torch needs a 1ghz Hummingbird? No. It would slaughter the already weak battery.

The fact is that the 624mhz processor that they've been using since 4.6 on the 9000 (think about that) simply can't keep up with OS6 the way that it should be able to. If you or I use the Torch for calls and messaging, it's perfectly fine.. but to completely, ignorantly ignore that the phone is underpowered for OS6, then I can't help you. You're the reason that people cringe when I tell people I'm a Crackberry addict, and I wish you would simply admit that it's not as powerful as it should be.

Posted from the Crackberry MOBILE forums because trying to browse the FULL, PRETTY forums is too laggy.

09-17-10 12:42 AM
    What most of you fail to realize (I assume because you're used to it by now), is that the Torch IS LAGGY. It's most noticable when browsing non-mobile websites or mutitasking. Am I saying that thje Torch needs a 1ghz Hummingbird? No. It would slaughter the already weak battery.

The fact is that the 624mhz processor that they've been using since 4.6 on the 9000 (think about that) simply can't keep up with OS6 the way that it should be able to. If you or I use the Torch for calls and messaging, it's perfectly fine.. but to completely, ignorantly ignore that the phone is underpowered for OS6, then I can't help you. You're the reason that people cringe when I tell people I'm a Crackberry addict, and I wish you would simply admit that it's not as powerful as it should be.

Posted from the Crackberry MOBILE forums because trying to browse the FULL, PRETTY forums is too laggy.

What you fail to realize is even though you may experience lag others don't. Mine don't lag. OS6 and the processor works fine together.
    09-17-10 06:17 AM
    What you fail to realize is even though you may experience lag others don't. Mine don't lag. OS6 and the processor works fine together.
    What you fail to realize is that you are probably in the minority.
    09-17-10 06:51 AM
    I've owned 3 Torches and played with probably a dozen. OS6 needs more power to work with. If others don't notice the lag, that's a problem with their perception of speed and lag, because it's a fact that the phone lags worse than any other premier phone on the market.
    This is not something you can blame on the server lag because of RIM's servers, it's a pure mhz issue that can't be avoided.. Yet can be forcefully ignored by some users, ie: you. <3

09-17-10 07:53 AM
    I stopped reading at his first reasoning. Had he said that it was missing an dedicated GPU then perhaps but I highly doubt anything on current mobiles out now would run anything that exceeds 1ghz. hey even the android phones suffer from slow down and they are using 1ghz phones.

ANDROID/iOS is not BB OS6!!!

Okay I've just skimmed quickly through the other reasons... ERGGH.. i really shouldn't have!
    09-17-10 08:38 AM
    RIM should end all the debate about processors and throw a 1.0+ ghz snapdragon in thier phones and give the user the ability to slow it down if they want. That would silence the "but it's not 1ghz" critics and silence the "I want long battery life" critics.

Makes sense to me if it is possible...
    09-17-10 09:06 AM
    i would like to add my "10 reasons why I love my Torch" just to prove that this tread is really about personnal opinions>

1: screen + keyboard + trackpad combo, so easy and intuitive to use. just love it.

2: push email, easy to stay organised(i'll add in this category everything relative to corporate users, calendar, email, contacts integration, blahblahblah)

3: BATTERY DO THE WHOLE DAY WITH NO PROBLEM WITH AN HEAVY USAGE. all is said lol.

4: BBM, cant live without it, this one is REALLY a personnal preference.

5: Customisation, I can do more thing than just change my wallpaper or reorganise icons, themes are still not there but it will come...

6: can sync my music the way I want(hello itunes)

7: easy way to access anything(keyboard shortcuts, universal seach, convenience key)

8: VERY customisable notifications, led, ringtones, vibrations. Like that if my berry is in an other room I can just take a look to see if my led is blinking.

9: REAL multitasking(compared to iphone, which only allow to keep an app opened, but dont run it in background, I have the habbit to open 3-4 web pages and let it load, during this time I answer a bbm or something else, you cant do that on the iphone).

10: I love the way apps are integrated to Blackberry, we always hear about App Store/Android Market vs App World and I agree with that, but find an app for iphone or android that allow something liek Quick Launch to be used from ANY app in the phone, or something like berryweather, to get weather directly on the home screen(i know that some Android Widgets do the same), or meterberry that allow the icon to change, to show whatever you need to know(cant do that on the i4 right)

your complain about signal receiption is not a problem with the Torch, but with ATT... dont attack the torch for that.

So, it's sad that the 9800 is not made for you, but evidently, you're an iphone/android user... leave bb and good luck!
    09-17-10 09:21 AM
    RIM should end all the debate about processors and throw a 1.0+ ghz snapdragon in thier phones and give the user the ability to slow it down if they want. That would silence the "but it's not 1ghz" critics and silence the "I want long battery life" critics.

Makes sense to me if it is possible...
    I'm not an electronic geek, but I dont thinnk it's possible to ''slow down'' a precessor, or speed it up when needed... correct me if i'm wrong...

it sounds to me like having a Corvette with a lot of horsepower but dont want to pay fuel to make it run... you cant just remove horsepowers to put less fuel in it lol
    09-17-10 09:24 AM
    I'm not an electronic geek, but I dont thinnk it's possible to ''slow down'' a precessor, or speed it up when needed... correct me if i'm wrong...

it sounds to me like having a Corvette with a lot of horsepower but dont want to pay fuel to make it run... you cant just remove horsepowers to put less fuel in it lol
    First paragraph:
    Yes you're wrong, see the concept of underclocking and overclocking. Something a lot of android users tinker with in order to optimize performance/manage battery life. Stonedictator was right in his post. Overclocking increases performance at the sacrifice of battery life, underclocking does the opposite.

Second paragraph:
    You're wrong there too, while yes you can't alter the horsepower in a Corvette, in other cars you can, see BMW M5.
    09-17-10 09:32 AM
    1 - If you don't agree with this, you're blinded. Go use a Samsung Galaxy S.. it's FAST. The iPhone4 is FAST. The Torch is LAGGY. If you don't see this, you're what the rest of the world calls a fanboi.
    Yes the Torch is laggy with the original OS, I dont have any speed issues since I updated to os 214/225. But that's right, I was disapointed with the first os's(141/161), which were very laggy when opening notifications bar or just an app.

I cant say that it's laggy now on os 225, and I also have an i4, and a 1ghz Nexus One so... and with all that I still prefer the Torch. AGAIN, IT'S ALL ABOUT YOU NEED, THE PHONE IS NOT A SCRAP BECAUSE IT DONT DO WHAT YOU EXPECT FROM, IT CAN ALSO DO WHAT SOMEONE ELSE EXPECT FROM.
    09-17-10 09:36 AM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD