Now this is my first post (literally) and I'm a huge fan of Crackberry. Another odd thing is that I personally have and very happy with my 9700. But this concerns me on a personal level because I do work at a retail store that sells Blackberrys.

Anyway, I was going through my Google Reader and ran into this article by Robb Dunewood. I thought this would be an interesting article for the 9800 users and abusers. The things mentioned seem similar to what was talked about in the last Crackberry Podcast (BlackBerry Torch / Blackberry 6 Special and in Episode 057).

"10 Reasons Why I Am Returning My BlackBerry Torch
    by ROBB DUNEWOOD on SEPTEMBER 14, 2010

I�ve been a die hard BlackBerry user for about the last 7 years or so. I�ve been writing about BlackBerry devices almost daily right here on RIMarkable for about 6 of those seven years. In all of that time I�ve owned well over a dozen different BlackBerry devices, and, I�ve never returned one simply because I didn�t like it.

I guess there is a first time for everything� Shortly after I finish writing this post I am returning my BlackBerry Torch 9800.

10 Reasons Why I am Returning my BlackBerry Torch

10 The BlackBerry Torch is underpowered � The Torch only has a 624 MHz processor, and, when compared to the 1GHz Snapdragons and Hummingbirds found in the latest Android devices as well as the Apple A4 found in the iPhone 4, the BlackBerry Torch is lacking.

2) Lack of third party application support � The BlackBerry Torch is RIM�s new flagship device and the first device to run BlackBerry 6, RIM�s new BlackBerry operating system. The Torch has been out for almost a month and we still really don�t have any new BlackBerry applications showcasing what BlackBerry 6 can do.

3) WebKit BlackBerry Browser not on par with iPhone or Android � A little over a year ago RIM stated that the new Webkit BlackBerry Browser would on par with the iPhone by this summer. To make a long story short� It isn�t. It is light years beyond the old BlackBerry Browser and you can effectively browse just about any website. It just isn�t as smooth as Android, the iPhone, or even webOS, for that matter.

4) The screen on the Torch is too small � I am not sure if the resolution is just to low or if the screen is actually just too small, but, when compared to the screen on my Droid Incredible� Well, it just doesn�t compare.

5) AT&T � I here that a lot of people swear by AT&T. I, however, clearly am not one of them, nor can I think of anyone that lives near me who does. I�ve dropped more calls using my BlackBerry Torch on AT&T over the last 28 days than I have on Verizon in the last year or two.

6) No Wi-Fi Tethering � Having the ability to use your device as a Wi-Fi hotspot today is kind of like having Bluetooth 4 or 5 years ago. Smartphones should have this ability.

7) The BlackBerry Torch is too utilitarian � After the newness wore off, I used the BlackBerry Torch for nothing more than email, BBM, and Twitter.

8) The Torch didn�t allow me to drop down to one device � Until this year, I�ve carried only one smartphone, a BlackBerry, for the past 5 years. Earlier this year a tested a Palm Pre which didn�t offer enough beyond what my BlackBerry could do to warrant carrying multiple devices. I, however, tried out the Droid Incredible shortly after the Pre, and, I know carrier two devices. The Torch simply isn�t a good enough device to get me back down to just one device.

9) Wasn�t that annoyed when I left my BlackBerry Torch at home � I went on a business trip and left my Torch in my car parked at the airport. Other than not having BBM, I really didn�t miss it that much.

10) The BlackBerry Torch, overall, is just underwhelming � It has been a long time since RIM has produced a BlackBerry that made me just feel like it was a must have device. I thought that the BlackBerry Torch was going to be that device which is the only reason I was even willing to give AT&T a shot. At the end of the day, the BlackBerry Torch isn�t a bad device, however, there is nothing about the device that will keep potential BlackBerry defectors from defecting nor will it entice new consumers that didn�t already want a BlackBerry�"

Original Post: 10 Reasons Why I Am Returning My BlackBerry Torch
    09-15-10 09:15 PM
    1) iPhone 4 is underclocked to at least 800MHz, and is all words.

2) true, but time will tell.

3) it's pretty on par for me, and I prefer the way my Torch does taps VS. the way my iPhone 4 did them.

4) it's bigger than the Palm Pre.

5) why did he buy a Torch if he hates AT&T?

6) meh, it's all personal preference really.

7) and what's wrong with that? sounds good to me! but I use mine for CALLS (which sound much better/louder than my iPhone 4 did), browser, Facebook, Weather Channel, etc.

8) the iPhone 4 is the only device worthy of being an "only" device because of the way it integrates media & business so effortlessly and "through the cloud" lately. I don't mind having a couple devices. again, personal preference.

9) what kind of complaint is this? sounds like some useless bull**** to me.

10) again, PERSONAL PREFERENCE. I find the Torch to be quite satisfying. I'm on it all day, everyday with texting and BBM and Facebook/Twitter and email and it lasts me 3 days usually with moderate usage. Everyone I've shown it to has taken quite a liking to it, and less people have it than have iPhone 4s, THANK GOD!
    09-15-10 09:30 PM
    Let's have a sub-forum for bashing so the rest of us can enjoy our toys.

* edit-I realize you're not personally slamming the 9800, I'm just tired of all the negative for no reason in particular, other than spreading negativity.
    taniabijou likes this.
    09-15-10 09:31 PM
    and? We have already seen this, so really what is the point? That is just one persons view not a whole.
    09-15-10 09:32 PM
    My opinion to his article

1) Yes, the torch is underpowered compared to the rest of the competition, but people fail to realize, you don't buy an Intel Core i7 computer, and run DOS on it. Software works with hardware. The software runs smoothly on the Torch (from what I've read), so the hardware is perfectly fine for OS 6.0.

2) Apps take time. App World is fairly new. Look at Palm OS, weak App library for a 2 year old device. OS 6.0 is on ONE device that is on ONE network. Not much users are going to develop for it. Just wait til a Canadian release.

3) I have not used the webkit browser, so I can't say it here, but from the reviews, it doesn't seem like the webkit browser is terrible.

4) This is personal. I saw an HTC Evo and Samsung Galaxy, the screen are huge. Great for HD videos, but I don't do that. I bought a big TV for that stuff. Torch screen is a good size for me.

5) This is personal again. Everyone hates a carrier. Everyone loves a carry. I dislike Bell and would rather be with Rogers and I know people who are vise versa.

6) I agree here. Wi-Fi tethering is a useful feature.

7) In the end, that's what a blackberry is. Not a toy.

8) I really don't think any device could. I will always use my iPod as my music player, and my blackberry as my cell phone, texting, etc.

9) Personal. Some people get attached. I went crazy when I went to Jamaica for a week and didn't have my blackberry. I have an 8330. You decide.
    09-15-10 09:36 PM
    Nothing new or inspiring the 10 reasons..significant reasons to some and non issues to some..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-15-10 09:43 PM
    He is right on..I am a b berry die hard and this is the first new one i could care less owning...9780 or iphone4 for me soon...
    09-15-10 09:45 PM
    I think if you come here to communicate your own negativity on a Blackberry it is your honorable views but you don't call yourself a die hard BB fan..

09-15-10 10:09 PM
    Most of these "reasons", he should have already known BEFORE purchasing the phone. Don't people do that for any product? Especially electronics?

And this topic was started by a person who does not own the device in question, posting the views of a third person. Hmmm....wonder if there is a clue in his / her first name there...
    Last edited by swapnilgyani; 09-15-10 at 11:08 PM.
    09-15-10 10:20 PM
    I think if you come here to communicate your own negativity on a Blackberry it is your honorable views but you don't call yourself a die hard BB fan..

It is quite possible to be a die hard RIM fan and be disappointed in what they chose to make and release

09-15-10 10:32 PM
    Hope ur happy with whatever device you choose. We appreciate the post and look forward to you not posting here anymore
    09-15-10 11:57 PM
    haha! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to cause a ruckus. I simply wanted some info for my work so I can have some good rebuttals towards indecisive customers.

Unfortunately, my "coach" didn't give me much training on the BlackBerry 9800 and the list that I posted did seem to be the common debates at the store. Having a BlackBerry myself, I wanted to take the initiative to be the store's BB expert. Especially if a customer that's debating on the 9800 finds out that I have a BlackBerry, I'd definitely would like to put up a good fight. I've got pride, you know?

I appreciate the input and the help towards my research in becoming a more informative BlackBerry user. I shall refrain from posting anything here til I get myself a Torch. Thanks everyone for the info!
    09-16-10 12:13 AM
    Hmmm....wonder if there is a clue in his / her first name there...
    Oops! I just read this quote. I didn't even think about that. The term "EVO" coinsides with the Mitsubishi Lancer EVOlution. Now thinking of a different user name. haha
    09-16-10 12:20 AM
    10 Reasons Why I Am Returning My BlackBerry Torch
    by ROBB DUNEWOOD on SEPTEMBER 14, 2010
    So??

09-16-10 12:20 AM
    I'm on it all day, everyday with texting and BBM and Facebook/Twitter and email and it lasts me 3 days usually with moderate usage.
    I'm really jealous - you must have a thermal nuclear powered Torch or something because mine barely makes it through a day...

09-16-10 12:37 AM
    Did you even update the OS yet? from what I'm hearing the leak .225 is pretty good..
    09-16-10 12:53 AM

To perceive problems where they exist is not negativity, it's realism. Ugh these BB fan boys are really starting to make me consider leaving this forum, any thread with even the slightest criticism has people jumping in defence of their beloved Torch, I love BlackBerry but some people just need to admit that RIM needs to step things up.
    09-16-10 02:43 AM
    If fanboys drive you away you won't be visiting any forums for any platform, ever...

09-16-10 02:53 AM
    If fanboys drive you away you won't be visiting any forums for any platform, ever...

True. I've had the iphone 4, htc desire, etc etc. And I frequent all their forums. one thing you'll find is that people would take a bullet for their 200 USD phone lol. The iphone 4 people are "yeah, but it works...." lol, I've had the iphone 4 crash more times than I can ever imagine. the htc desire is a nice device, but the screen was too narrow for me. Blackberry just works for me.

Regardless, what I'm trying to say is that I agree. You go to forums to read, and especially on these mobile phone sites, you'll always find people who are "fanbois" and will defend their lovelies til the end. lol. All phones are good, and all have pros and cons! Just the same with Blackberry. Blackberry works FOR ME. I have a friend who doesn't IM a lot, who doesn't write a lot of emails, and he just likes having his music, and pictures sync up to his phone without any effort: iphone 4. I have another friend that's a tech geek that carries around a laptop EVERYWHERE, and 3 spare batteries for his android device, that works for him! For me? Blackberry . yes, they have pros and cons, but oh well.
    09-16-10 03:37 AM
    True. I've had the iphone 4, htc desire, etc etc. And I frequent all their forums. one thing you'll find is that people would take a bullet for their 200 USD phone lol. The iphone 4 people are "yeah, but it works...." lol, I've had the iphone 4 crash more times than I can ever imagine. the htc desire is a nice device, but the screen was too narrow for me. Blackberry just works for me.

Regardless, what I'm trying to say is that I agree. You go to forums to read, and especially on these mobile phone sites, you'll always find people who are "fanbois" and will defend their lovelies til the end. lol. All phones are good, and all have pros and cons! Just the same with Blackberry. Blackberry works FOR ME. I have a friend who doesn't IM a lot, who doesn't write a lot of emails, and he just likes having his music, and pictures sync up to his phone without any effort: iphone 4. I have another friend that's a tech geek that carries around a laptop EVERYWHERE, and 3 spare batteries for his android device, that works for him! For me? Blackberry . yes, they have pros and cons, but oh well.
    +1

09-16-10 03:41 AM
    over half those reasons are highly suspect or subjective, but honestly I don't really care about most of them or who likes what phone as long as it does what I want/need it to do.. no phone is perfect, not even my precious BB (it does happen to be the most well-rounded though)...

However, #6 in particular really gets under my skin.. wi-fi tethering is the most overrated "new and cool" feature on a smartphone today.. personally I would never ever want that feature or think of one time it ever would have been useful to me so not having it is far from "ridiculous"...

I don't want it slowing down my phone or my own connection.. I don't want it draining my battery.. plus, on top of all that- why someone else would want to browse the web on their laptop at 3G or possibly even EDGE speeds, I have no idea... they might as well just use their own phone to go on the web if you just need to get something done real fast cuz everyone's phone can go on the web nowadays..

and besides what are people gonna do if your phone can wi-fi tether, go up to everyone with a laptop and ask if they need a really slow wi-fi hotspot?? "ummm, no thanks"... go to starbucks and hang out just waiting to lend a helping hand?? .... I can see it now; "hey, sir, I know I said I would be your hotspot like 4 hours ago, but I kinda hafta, leave...." I'm kidding of course, but you get my point.. doesn't have a very practical application...

arghh! sorry, didn't mean to go off, lol.. please know it's not aimed at you, I just hear all this wi-fi hotspot talk and it's getting so old already for something as new as it is... really seems like one of those features that is there just to say we can do it, and end up using it a few times in the life of the phone when ur hanging out with ur friends and that's it...

so for that to be listed as even 1/10th of the reason it's being returned is in fact "ridiculous"...

just say No to the wi-fi tethering craze! lol
    Last edited by NinjaB; 09-16-10 at 06:08 AM.
    09-16-10 05:51 AM
    Did you even update the OS yet? from what I'm hearing the leak .225 is pretty good..
    I don't think he could do that if he works at a retail/carrier store. Aren't they not allowed to promote unofficial software?
    09-16-10 05:59 AM
    TorchTards, get a grip.

This device is a fail.

09-16-10 06:45 AM
    My opinion to his article

1) Yes, the torch is underpowered compared to the rest of the competition, but people fail to realize, you don't buy an Intel Core i7 computer, and run DOS on it. Software works with hardware. The software runs smoothly on the Torch (from what I've read), so the hardware is perfectly fine for OS 6.0.

2) Apps take time. App World is fairly new. Look at Palm OS, weak App library for a 2 year old device. OS 6.0 is on ONE device that is on ONE network. Not much users are going to develop for it. Just wait til a Canadian release.

3) I have not used the webkit browser, so I can't say it here, but from the reviews, it doesn't seem like the webkit browser is terrible.

4) This is personal. I saw an HTC Evo and Samsung Galaxy, the screen are huge. Great for HD videos, but I don't do that. I bought a big TV for that stuff. Torch screen is a good size for me.

5) This is personal again. Everyone hates a carrier. Everyone loves a carry. I dislike Bell and would rather be with Rogers and I know people who are vise versa.

6) I agree here. Wi-Fi tethering is a useful feature.

7) In the end, that's what a blackberry is. Not a toy.

8) I really don't think any device could. I will always use my iPod as my music player, and my blackberry as my cell phone, texting, etc.

9) Personal. Some people get attached. I went crazy when I went to Jamaica for a week and didn't have my blackberry. I have an 8330. You decide.
    I like points 4 and 7. People now a days have forgotten what a cell phone is.

1) Why would I buy a phone to watch HD movies? My neck is going to hurt, my eye's are going to strain, eventually my fingers are going to cramp and my wrist will starting hurting from holding the damn thing.

How many people can you watch the movie with? No more then 2 because the screen is so damn small and they won't be able to hear it because of the small speaker it has. That is why I bought my sick LED TV for so can seat/lay down on my couch and enjoy a HD movies with more then 2 people. Also everyone will be able to experience the move with my great sound system that you can feel when there is back to back action with explosions...etc.

2) If you want a toy go buy a brand new laptop/desktop or gaming console. I have tons of cool programs/apps on my puter and for games I will just go buy a cool PS3 or something.

A cell phone's main function is to have voice communication/texting with the world when you are not home.
    As for web browsing or emails I have a my puter for that but it is a nice option that I have grown to love.
    Last edited by BlueTurboShark; 09-16-10 at 09:09 AM.
    09-16-10 08:03 AM
    is it me or is the author in the OP full of spelling mistakes.

just wondered if it was typed on his incredible. LOL
    09-16-10 08:03 AM
84 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD