(this is an xpost from the 9800 forum, here)

Hi all,

I recently got a 9800 and noticed the speakerphone and phone volume were low, but after a full day of searching on the net found mixed reports, and many people reporting the sound was "just fine". We have a half-dozen other 9800s at my company, and one 9810 that I was able to test with, and I have definitive proof that there is an issue with these phones, and would like you all to help by testing your phones to see if you have the same issue.

Here are the steps you follow to determine if your phone is defective:

1) Go to "Options"
    2) From "Options", go to "Device"
    3) From "Device", go to "Device and Status Information"
    4) (with the keyboard open) press the following keys: "t" "e" "s" "t"
    5) Press "OK"
    6) Press the Menu button and choose "Start"
    7) Select "No"
    8) Put a check-mark next to "Handset Audio"
    9) Press the Menu button and choose "Run"

Now you're at the "Handset Speaker Test", hold the phone up to your ear and:

10) Press the Red or Green button, and you should hear a tone. Repeat this five times, and you should hear five different tones, each increasing in pitch but at the same volume.
    11) Press the middle (scroll) button and select "Next" (note that pressing Menu just plays the tone.)
    12) Click "Yes", then "Yes" or "No" to indicate if the test passed (type in an explanation if the test did not pass)

Now you're at the "Handsfree Speaker Test", place the phone on a table top and:

13) Press the Red or Green button, and you should hear a tone. Repeat this five times, and you should hear five different tones, each increasing in pitch but at the same volume.
    14) Press the middle (scroll) button and select "Next" (note that pressing Menu just plays the tone.)
    15) Click "Yes", then "Yes" or "No" to indicate if the test passed (type in an explanation if the test did not pass)

You can either perform the next test or Skip it, the two above are the important ones.

On all four 9800s and one 9810 I've tested, the first two tones of the "Handsfree Speaker Test" are very muffled and low volume, and I believe I also had the same result on the "Handset Speaker Test" on one device but it has since improved, so I'm not sure if that suggests there isn't a physical defect but some connection/other issue.

Can anyone with a 9800 or 9810 please perform these tests - especially the "Handsfree Speaker Test" - and post your results? Are all the 9800s and 9810s like this due to the speaker design, or are there some "bad eggs"?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Andorion; 09-29-11 at 04:29 PM.
    09-29-11 03:55 PM
    I get the same results as the previous poster on my 9800
    09-29-11 04:24 PM
    So do I, but it proves nothing, except perhaps something is wrong with the sound files. If you really want to test it, play the 250 Hz and 500 Hz tones linked below on both the handset and then speakerphone. They're not "muffled" on the speakerphone. Which is not "broken."

http://home.tir.com/~ms/examples/f250.wav

http://home.tir.com/~ms/examples/f500.wav

Or for that matter, try the 125 Hz file:

http://home.tir.com/~ms/examples/f125.wav
    Last edited by JasW; 09-29-11 at 05:03 PM.
    09-29-11 04:59 PM
    So do I, but it proves nothing, except perhaps something is wrong with the sound files. If you really want to test it, play the 250 Hz and 500 Hz tones linked below on both the handset and then speakerphone. They're not "muffled" on the speakerphone. Which is not "broken."

http://home.tir.com/~ms/examples/f250.wav

http://home.tir.com/~ms/examples/f500.wav

Or for that matter, try the 125 Hz file:

http://home.tir.com/~ms/examples/f125.wav
    Thank you for posting these, this actually helps prove the issue is with the speaker/hardware and not with the sound file, as on my phone (9800) the 125 and 250 are barely audible on my phone, the 500 is clearly audible.

When I get a chance I'll record the audio coming out of my phone and post it, later today.
    09-29-11 05:11 PM
    On a speaker such as the one on the 9810 -- or any phone for that matter, even the vaunted speakers on the 9000 -- lower frequencies such as 120Hz and 250Hz will always seem barely audible.
    09-29-11 05:21 PM
    I can hear all 3 tones just fine on my 98000 and my 9810. Speakerphone and handset speaker working fine for me.
    09-29-11 05:30 PM
    I don't think this true at all, 125hz or 256hz are not low at all. Can someone with a 9700 or other Bold please try playing these on speakerphone to see how they sound, especially compared to "handset" mode?

When the sound starts playing in the player, you can pause it, go to the menu, and "Activate Handset" or "Activate Speakerphone". On my 9800 all 3 sound perfect via the handset, but in speakerphone mode only the 500 is clear, the 256 is very weak and fuzzy and 125 is inaudible. I would bet money that on a Bold's speakerphone all 3 sound fine.

On a speaker such as the one on the 9810 -- or any phone for that matter, even the vaunted speakers on the 9000 -- lower frequencies such as 120Hz and 250Hz will always seem barely audible.
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-11 06:34 PM
    9810 wearing an Endo case. worked perfectly, sounded great. 2 naked 9800's a little bit muffled on lowest speaker tone, still heard without difficulty. All 3 pass to my old and tired ears. (I just Pasted my reply from the 9800 forum.)
    09-29-11 07:50 PM
    I performed the tests but didn't really notice any problems.

That said, I returned my first 9800 because it had a metallic twangy sound emit from the headset every time I spoke into the receiver while on a call. Unfortunately, I found the same problem with the second device. I kept the second device because the store I was at didn't have anymore and I wasn't content with waiting for another to come in (release day).

I have also always had extremely low headset volume on the device which I have had several others confirm. This problem has been my biggest bane with the phone since getting it, aside from the repetitive hour glassing!
    09-30-11 08:00 PM
    Bottom line for me: the only time I use the speakerphone is as a speakerphone. In that case, the frequency response belo 1000 Hz is completely irrelevant. If I listen to music, it's either via BT streaming to headphones, speakers, or my home stereo, or directly out of the headphone jack. So even if the speaker craps out below 650 Hz, it makes no freakin' nevermind. If you rely on a crummy smartphone speaker to listen to music, you deserve what you get.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-11 12:30 AM
    I tested as suggested and only get sound from speaker phone ... not from handset phone. Any suggested fixes ?
    01-25-13 11:52 PM
    I tested all three and found that the 125 was low, but still audible and the other two were noticibly louder. However, what do you expect from a phone's speakerphones? I have no problems hearing conversations from either the handset or speaker mode and I wear hearing aids (no, I do not have any setting boosted for hearing impairment, just normal setting).
    01-26-13 12:16 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD