07-20-11 02:33 PM
28 12
tools
    I was just wondering if there was any possibility at all that this phone would come to Verizon.

I loved the screen size of my Storm2, but because of software issues and surepress I switched to the Bold 9650 and I fell in love with the keyboard (but I really really miss the big screen). So, for me the Torch2 would be the PERFECT device... big touch screen and a keyboard... BUT, I'm on Verizon and do not want to switch to AT&T...

I'll probably just have to make the decision to either get a Bold Touch or go with the Monaco (will probably go with the Monaco)... but is there any possibility that this will make it to VZW?

Thanks!
    04-01-11 07:57 PM
    Anything is possible but this has been discussed in numerous threads and there is zero evidence there will be a CDMA Torch. If you want a torch go to AT&T.
    04-01-11 09:34 PM
    I totally agree. GSM is the way to go especially if you use your phone outside the US. Verizon or Sprint are not likely to carry a slider RIM device anytime soon.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-02-11 04:32 AM
    I doubt it will go to Sprint. AT&T gets all the coolest phones.
    04-08-11 08:18 AM
    I believe that the storm3 or whatever they are going to call it is going to USCellular so it should be on the others as well.
    04-08-11 10:24 AM
    I hope RIM tried to be a tad different than apple and releases all its new berrys in both GSM and CDMA from the start. If history is a gauge, then i think the touch will be on VZ and torch at&t.

According to the GSM road map, believed to be from TMO, the torch will be considered.
    04-08-11 10:50 AM
    The odds are that all the devices except Torch 2 are going to be on both gsm and cdma at the same time give or take things like testing schedules or the carriers wanting to stagger the new releases.

The lack of any leaks at all about a cdma torch 2 do seem to indicate there won't be one of those, perhaps at&t have a window of exclusivity for the device and with it being 3 months or more later the cdma carriers wouldn't be interested in it.
    04-08-11 02:28 PM
    There's a good possibility the S3 would not hit Sprint as well (considering all previous storm devices never left VZ and AT&T has no real use for it with the Torch).

They should get the curve-style Storm at least though.
    04-08-11 07:29 PM
    I totally agree. GSM is the way to go especially if you use your phone outside the US. Verizon or Sprint are not likely to carry a slider RIM device anytime soon.

Yes - although all high-end CDMA BlackBerry's have a GSM quad-band radio for traveling outside the U.S.

RE: Torch 2. I think it's an AT&T exclusive, for the U.S. - Verizon and Sprint will mostly get the Bold Touch, Touch, and Curve(s).
    04-08-11 08:19 PM
    There's a good possibility the S3 would not hit Sprint as well (considering all previous storm devices never left VZ and AT&T has no real use for it with the Torch).
    The previous storms were an exlusive due to the size of orders verizon were putting in for devices, whereas nowadays they are mostly focused on their droid-rebranding of android and aren't going to be bothered about having exclusives and will be more eager to have a range of blackberries to offer without pushing them heavily.
    04-09-11 07:54 AM
    RE: Torch 2. I think it's an AT&T exclusive, for the U.S. - Verizon and Sprint will mostly get the Bold Touch, Touch, and Curve(s).
    Some leaks have indicated the possibility of it coming to t-mobile this time round so it may just be a window of exclusivity, but it seems unlikely that the cdma carriers would be interested enough to want a cdma version at least 3 months after at&t launched to make it worth producing one unlike with t-mobile where it would be much simpler to add that model.
    04-09-11 07:56 AM
    TMO is now part of AT&T and it would seem even less likely that a CDMA version is in the cards anytime soon. If a CDMA version were likely, there would have been a T1 version by now some 8 months after its GSM release.
    04-09-11 09:06 PM
    TMO is now part of AT&T and it would seem even less likely that a CDMA version is in the cards anytime soon. If a CDMA version were likely, there would have been a T1 version by now some 8 months after its GSM release.
    This is not true at all. A deal has been made, but it's not certain that the TMO-ATT deall would stand the governmental scrutiny. Won't happen for a while
    04-23-11 04:35 AM
    i didn't have time to read this whole thread but i remember reading on gsmarena or phonearena that there was a picture taken somewhere in headquarters of a "supposed" verizon torch. nothing was at all conclusive though
    04-30-11 11:59 PM
    Anything is possible but this has been discussed in numerous threads and there is zero evidence there will be a CDMA Torch. If you want a torch go to AT&T.
    The last thing I would do is go to AT&T as in my area they are the worst for coverage and I'm only 35 miles outside of Boston.
    05-19-11 12:49 AM
    Not everyone has GSM coverage either, around here we have two carriers that work, both being CDMA.
    05-19-11 12:47 PM
    Then, it would appear that the Torch would not be available for your area as it appears to be GSM bound.

Last edited by jcp007; 05-30-11 at 08:28 AM.
    05-20-11 07:31 PM
    What's so good about the torch? I was playing with my uncles and it doesn't give me the feel of a BB

05-27-11 09:03 PM
    ^the larger screen real estate makes it more like iphoneish.but unlike the iphone, the much loved touch screen/physical keyboard combo stands out.
    05-29-11 11:31 PM
    Compacted legendary BlackBerry keyboard, and iPhone-esque screen real-estate are what make the Torch stand out.
    06-01-11 08:43 AM
    Design or features aside, it is still very unlikely that there will be a CDMA version of the T2.

06-01-11 03:06 PM
    It would be awesome if Verizon did pick this up. I really want the larger touch screen, but I am still not ready to give up my keyboard. I can almost text and email without looking at the phone. I know that I will never accomplish this with a touch only device. I have tried droids and I end up deleting half of everything I type, even with the D2 and it's slider I still couldn't get it. My thumbs are just to fat.
    06-08-11 01:23 PM
    I hope RIM tried to be a tad different than apple and releases all its new berrys in both GSM and CDMA from the start. If history is a gauge, then i think the touch will be on VZ and torch at&t.

According to the GSM road map, believed to be from TMO, the torch will be considered.
    Bold Touch is widely expected to be a GSM/CDMA initial release. T2 will remain at&t only in the US.

TMO is technically not part of at&t yet. That deal is expected to close spring of 2012.

This is not true at all. A deal has been made, but it's not certain that the TMO-ATT deall would stand the governmental scrutiny. Won't happen for a while
    A deal has been made and this will almost certainly happen. There is very little that will stop it at this point. The government can impose some very stringent conditions but they will not be able to block the deal entirely on competition grounds because they can't make a successful case that it hurts competition. at&t knows this which is why they agreed to such stiff financial penalties if the deal doesn't go through.

PG
    06-08-11 02:54 PM

06-10-11 08:43 AM
    @JCP007 seems to me like you have personal gains from a GSM only torch 2. You have posted in every thread where people have asked about a CDMA torch, stating that h e l l will freeze before that happens. How can you be so dam sure that it won't release?
    07-19-11 11:39 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD