There used to be so many free themes on crackberry. now everyone wants to charge (and not even like .99)! CB needs to create a separate thread for premium and free. I don't want to even look at the premium themes.

COME ON CRACKBERRY NATION!
    11-07-10 10:25 AM
    What iis your time worth?
    I'd wager more than 99 cents..
    I would imagine even the most basic themes take a great deal of time to create. Personally I feel it is a bargin to pay that pittance for me to maximize the enjoyment I get from having them available.
    But having said that it is a bit of a gamble so I wait for reviews before I jump in.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-10 10:40 AM
    Word

11-07-10 10:41 AM
    I understand that it takes time to make, but ever heard of opensource? It's this novel idea where everyone does a little work where they have talents and reap the benefits through a whole customization experience. That being said i don't expect every theme to be free, I just want them to separate the threads into free and 'premium.'
    11-07-10 10:50 AM
    The vast majority of the themes are labeled "free" or "premium" right on the main 9800 theme forum page. So you know if it's free before you even click on it. It's not really a big deal.

I appreciate the time and effort that the theme builders put into their themes and don't mind paying for the ones that are really well done.

If people don't want to pay for themes then I'd suggest they download Theme Builder and start learning...
    11-07-10 11:01 AM
    "If people don't want to pay for themes then I'd suggest they download Theme Builder and start learning..."

I have, with my past 2 phones (Curve and Storm) I built themes and gave them out freely because I built them for personal use, not because they "sucked."

"The vast majority of the themes are labeled "free" or "premium" right on the main 9800 theme forum page. So you know if it's free before you even click on it. It's not really a big deal."

I disagree, I think having to sift through 2:1 (give or take) premium vs free themes is a headache when I'm just looking for free. What's the big deal with separating them? there are definitely more people browsing for themes than posting themes. The only people that would really complain they aren't together is those making premium themes because they can't lure people in. if you are forced to look at them you are more likely to buy them. to where if they were separate, the consumer isn't tempted to buy something if they are only looking for the free ones.

"What iis your time worth?
    I'd wager more than 99 cents.."

This is a ******** argument. I would imagine they are selling more than 1 copy of a theme. because if they think their time is worth more than 99 cents for a few hours, they probably think their time is worth more than 3.99 for a few hours as well. And while i would never pay 3.99 for a theme, if i thought it was good I may be willing to pay $1 or $2. So they've driven away potential customers that don't think a theme is worth $4 a pop. but i don't want to get into economics here.
    Last edited by dfairlite; 11-07-10 at 11:34 AM.
    11-07-10 11:15 AM
    Premium themes help keep the lights on at CrackBerry, so I support them. All purchase links are routed to the CrackBerry store, where they get a good percentage cut of each sale. It's a small price to pay for such an excellent BlackBerry resource.
    11-07-10 11:43 AM
    I gladly donate or purchase numerous premium themes...the theme builders do an excellent job, always reply to, then fix, any bugs or glitches with updates. The work that some of them put in to put out such amazing themes is well worth a dollar to make my phone more functional, easier to navigate and just flat out beautiful.

11-07-10 12:09 PM
    "What is your time worth?
    This is a ******** argument. I would imagine they are selling more than 1 copy of a theme. because if they think their time is worth more than 99 cents for a few hours, they probably think their time is worth more than 3.99 for a few hours as well. And while i would never pay 3.99 for a theme, if i thought it was good I may be willing to pay $1 or $2. So they've driven away potential customers that don't think a theme is worth $4 a pop. but i don't want to get into economics here.

A few hours??? That's where your problem is. A GOOD theme takes much, much, more than a few hours! (Maybe the ones you made took only a few hours!) A good Torch theme (and there are only a few of them) takes many hours of coding and testing and recoding and more testing, etc. I worked with BBT on his Metro and Slate theme for the Torch and can assure you that these themes would not be so good if they only took a few hours. In fact, Metro took over a week to get it glitch-free, especially using the current ThemeBuilder. So $3.99 does not seem like a lot to me considering that Mobihand takes a good portion of the proceeds!
    And it is obvious that people don't mind paying for good themes, as BBT and ECruz' themes are some of the best sellers.

But I do agree with one thing you said: There are some developers charging way too much for poorly made themes!
    Last edited by tellsells; 11-07-10 at 12:39 PM.
    11-07-10 12:17 PM
    Dfairlite, you don't like CB, or how its run... Move on.

And keep making your own themes if you don't want to pay, or like the free ones that are available.

There are other communities that have themes, why don't you delete your account here and head to one of those.

11-07-10 12:22 PM
    I think we got off track here. The point wasn't that all themes should be free. It was that Free and premium themes should be in a seperate sub-forum. If people are paying for themes that's great, enjoy doing so, but to make the crackberry site easier to get what you want they should have their own seperate sub forums.

Also, I am sure some of you would like a sub forum of the free apps vs paid right?

How is this an unreasonable request?

doubledecker likes this.
    11-07-10 02:55 PM

A few hours??? That's where your problem is. A GOOD theme takes much, much, more than a few hours! (Maybe the ones you made took only a few hours!) A good Torch theme (and there are only a few of them) takes many hours of coding and testing and recoding and more testing, etc. I worked with BBT on his Metro and Slate theme for the Torch and can assure you that these themes would not be so good if they only took a few hours. In fact, Metro took over a week to get it glitch-free, especially using the current ThemeBuilder. So $3.99 does not seem like a lot to me considering that Mobihand takes a good portion of the proceeds!
    And it is obvious that people don't mind paying for good themes, as BBT and ECruz' themes are some of the best sellers.

But I do agree with one thing you said: There are some developers charging way too much for poorly made themes!
    OFF ORIGINAL TOPIC:
    Anyone know how many copies of good themes they sell? Just curious. Software is one of those things that pisses me off, your selling 1's and 0's that you can make infinite copies of. Damn microsoft wants $300 for windows, sure it took a lot of developer time, but once its done you print it on a disk that costs a nickel! Anyway I'll stop ranting. (And no I'm not comparing themes to microsoft, this was an off topic post)

11-07-10 03:04 PM
    Dfairlite, you don't like CB, or how its run... Move on.

And keep making your own themes if you don't want to pay, or like the free ones that are available.

There are other communities that have themes, why don't you delete your account here and head to one of those.

Wow, really? I hate CB because I want them to break themes into sub-forums? I didn't know constructive critisism meant you hated those you critisize. I guess if CB was filled with people like you I would hate it and move on, but its not! Its filled with kind people helping eachother out and trying to make the experience better. I love CB!

11-07-10 03:08 PM
    So because your lazy and don't want to wade through threads, you want someone to change something that's been done this way for at least the 2 years I've been here. Probably not going to happen.
    11-07-10 03:18 PM
    Yes, because I want something done more efficiently I must be lazy. Tell that to GM (or any efficient business for that matter)

11-07-10 03:28 PM
    The themes are too expensive.
    11-07-10 03:45 PM
    Most themes are overpriced. Agreed. 6 or 7 dollars for an app that is not that complicated with lines of code or development. But if you are complaining about .99 cents? You really are barking up the wrong tree.

But the forum dwellers are way to set in their ways. Don't dare say anything to disrupt their order. Next thing you know you will 10 dwellers lining up to verbally pounce on your head.
    11-07-10 04:18 PM
    My friend, this IS real opensource, this is a place where millions of bb users from around the world log in to download, buy, share and sell themes! Your requirement is valid, however it is insignificant keeping in mind all the categories of people that log on here. Its more convenient to have it all in one place, infact ure well informed of every theme available, whether free or paid.

That being said i don't expect every theme to be free"
    About sharing for free, I totally agree with you, infact that's what I'm doing here. Because I don't do this for any sort of income, its just a passion. If anything created, doesn't benefit more than an individual, it is not worth creating. Its great that you don't expect all the themes to be free and its untrue that only the ones that suck are (I would say ) but I have to admit its kind of pathetic that you think the paid themes are overpriced.

Tell 'SELLS' man, did u just use this thread as a marketing tool (Brilliant )

On a serious note, it takes loads of skill, effort, time and patience to make a good theme, also to explain, advertise and sell it. And I think these guys (above, vince, d mac, adorno, taking names cos I think they do a marvellous job) have priced their themes very reasonably. Infact, its the least they could expect out of what they create .Evidently there are people who appreciate this fact, and don't mind paying a decent amount to buy one, as long as it provides them with the kind of functionality and look they enjoy.

So to sum it up, its unlikely that ul see free and paid themes separtely and its frankly quite cheap to think that the themes are expensive or unreasonably priced. [There are some exceptions I agree, like the OS6 themes, that have just been coloured and put on sale, Id ignore those]
    11-07-10 04:24 PM
    ^^finally a real person. In a sense you are right that they aren't overpriced. Some of them may well be worth 4 bucks to someone. But you have to just wing it and hope you picked a good one, you may have just paid $4 for a shi tty horribly coded theme. And that turns people sour. So if you go through 3-4 to finally get a good one now you really paid 12-16 dollars for a theme. That's why I don't even look at premium themes (if they're labeled) if I download a free theme and it bows, I'm only out a couple minutes.

Anyway, maybe they could have an option the thread maker has to select paid or free so you can sort by paid/free if desired. Jmo

11-07-10 04:36 PM
    ^^finally a real person. In a sense you are right that they aren't overpriced. Some of them may well be worth 4 bucks to someone. But you have to just wing it and hope you picked a good one, you may have just paid $4 for a shi tty horribly coded theme. And that turns people sour. So if you go through 3-4 to finally get a good one now you really paid 12-16 dollars for a theme. That's why I don't even look at premium themes (if they're labeled) if I download a free theme and it bows, I'm only out a couple minutes.

Anyway, maybe they could have an option the thread maker has to select paid or free so you can sort by paid/free if desired. Jmo

So you answered your own question.
    Don't buy a theme until you read comments right here in the forums. There are a few good free ones and a few good premium ones. So keep the forum the way it is and just read, learn, and then make decisions based on the comments. You never know, you might find a premium theme that is worth the money.

11-07-10 04:52 PM

Tell 'SELLS' man, did u just use this thread as a marketing tool (Brilliant )
    FYI, I am just a tester. I have no monetary gain from any theme!

11-07-10 04:55 PM
    No, I still think it would be better to have separate forums or a way to show free first. You can't trust the reviews on themes. What 'works' for one CB addict doesn't for another.

11-07-10 04:55 PM
    '*****...shills...pffft..

I smell copper...
    11-07-10 05:01 PM
    FYI, I am just a tester. I have no monetary gain from any theme!

Twas only a joke, but nways good to know ure an evangalist

11-07-10 05:09 PM
    Twas only a joke, but nways good to know ure an evangalist

I did leave out in my previous post that the free themes that you post and also the free ones from DMac are excellent ones.

11-07-10 05:24 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD