This is my first new theme in almost 8 months so I'd love to get any feedback (positive and negative)! It's called Vintage.

The entire home screen wallpaper is filled with graphic elements that act as shortcuts to some of the most used standard apps on your BB, along with an additional customizable dock that holds 4 additional apps of your choosing. The clock is on a sliding tray, that when deployed also shows the date and network information.

Its available - HERE and is on sale for $1.99 through the weekend.

If you don't buy it any input on the look/feel of it would also be appreciated! It was inspired by a sweet poster i saw that had a really fun "retro" graphic feel that i tried to capture in this.

05-20-11 08:13 AM
    Landscape support?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-20-11 09:23 AM
    Not the home screen yet, I'm going to hopefully update that over the weekend. I usually get some bug reports on things I missed, and the reports can get confusing on the Torch with dual home screens, so I wanted to wait through the weekend and make sure its good to go as is before I update it.
    05-20-11 09:35 AM
    Sweet I'm getting it. Landscape support would be sweet

05-20-11 09:51 AM
    Sweet I'm getting it. Landscape support would be awesome

05-20-11 09:52 AM
    Oh my gosh, this theme is impressive! I bought it this morning, it...is...awesome!

There have been 1-2 other themes that have this layout (ie: full homescreen with graphics for links) but none of them had space for custom icons! (Or trackpad support)

The colors, the graphics, all lovely...and this is coming from an obsessive person who will nix a great theme because one or two icons don't appeal to me and it bothers me to the point that I change the theme...not this. Like every bit about it! Your best work to date, m'dear!
    05-20-11 11:22 AM
    Thanks! Im happy you like it!
    05-20-11 12:59 PM
    Wrote you a review on the AppVerse:

Wow. The day has finally come. I've been using Blackberries for six years - and I've never had the perfect theme. Generally, it's just a tired old parade of rehashed special-icon/cool-background themes and iPhone lookalikes. Innovation is all too sparse at times.

This theme is, in my eyes, flawless. On my Torch 9800, the on-screen animation for the information dock is incredibly smooth - no jerky motions here. Each of the icons animates flawlessly, with a tasteful highlight when pressed, and the theme is more responsive than I could ask for - each icon opens the target menu instantly. The icons are also cleanly cut, so you don't end up opening something unintended; I have pretty big fingers, and, so far, no mixups!

Functionally, this theme also blows me away. The connections manager is right on my homescreen - something that's a must for me, because I'm always switching Bluetooth or wi-fi on/off as I move around. Universal search is enabled from the homescreen. Profiles, time/alarm clock... actually, I don't think I've felt the need to open the app menu yet, because everything I need is on the homescreen.

And, finally, the theme looks beautiful. Everything is crisp and clear, with no jagged edges or tearing. Normally, I enjoy changing up my wallpapers, but I don't even think I want to now that I have this theme.

All in all, this is worth ten dollars - for anything under five it's a steal! Get it! Now!
    I apologize for gushing a bit, but this theme really is fantastic. I can't even begin to ask how you made it so polished on the first release. I do have one tiny gripe (really, only one); when you hold the BB button to see the list of running apps, the icons there look a bit jagged on the edges. I assume they're the same icons as those on the app menu, so if it's a pain to change them, no big deal.

Otherwise, great job! I love it!

EDIT: For some reason, AppVerse added a bunch of numbers to the front of my review. But it's there. :P
    Last edited by CuddlyCombine; 05-20-11 at 01:15 PM.
    05-20-11 01:07 PM
    Whoa! thanks for such a kind review!!! Totally blew me away, I'm happy people are enjoying the theme! And to answer your question about how its so polished for a first release is I've been working on it off and on for about 8-9 months I took a break from developing my own themes to work on some licensed work and get into a little game dev, so I've learned a whole lot and slowing kept this theme going forward. Hopefully my next release won't take nearly as long lol
    05-20-11 02:36 PM
    Whoa! thanks for such a kind review!!! Totally blew me away, I'm happy people are enjoying the theme! And to answer your question about how its so polished for a first release is I've been working on it off and on for about 8-9 months I took a break from developing my own themes to work on some licensed work and get into a little game dev, so I've learned a whole lot and slowing kept this theme going forward. Hopefully my next release won't take nearly as long lol
    I hope not, I can see you putting out even better themes (though I have no idea how, haha).

And I apologize if I appear overly excited; it's just that I've never really found a theme that goes beyond the icon/wallpaper approach. Maybe it changes a colour here or there, but it still sticks to boring ol' vanilla-based stuff. Yours has all the functionality and aesthetic design that I'll ever need!

Took a snapshot showing my custom icons: I'm impressed with how well they scale.

EDIT:

Whipped up a rough color scheme of my own to work with a wallpaper; unfortunately, it doesn't mesh with the BBM icon as well as I'd hoped. Feature request: make the BBM icon a transparent PNG around the edges?

EDITEDIT: Or actually, to make it more accommodating to users, you could make the icon spots transparent except for when pressed; the rest of the time, the background can just remain a static representation of the icon. The only thing they couldn't change would be the signal bars and the wi-fi indicator. That's just a suggestion, of course - you have no obligation to do that

Last edited by CuddlyCombine; 05-20-11 at 04:38 PM.
    05-20-11 03:57 PM
    It's surprisingly wallpaper friendly:

It may not have homescreen landscape support (yet!) but if you are on the homescreen, turning it sideways will give you your app screen:

Last edited by bbstoof; 05-20-11 at 06:21 PM.
    05-20-11 06:19 PM
    Hey Guys, this is the exact type of feedback and ideas I need! Thanks so much!
    Cuddlesy likes this.
    05-20-11 06:43 PM
    It should be noted that this theme does have trackpad support on the homescreen! I just figured that out, and it's sweet - even more functionality! Damn, this is a goldmine of good design.

BBStoof: if you want, I can send you a .psd file (assuming you have Photoshop) with all the alpha selections for modifying this file. It lets you keep the signal bar/app row backgrounds, and you can also play with adding an outline to the lettering (as I did in my screenshot).

And no problem Tony, happy to help!
    Last edited by CuddlyCombine; 05-20-11 at 07:42 PM.
    05-20-11 07:32 PM
    WOW....awesome, very original...fast, no lag what so ever...
    Last edited by octal105; 05-20-11 at 10:33 PM.
    05-20-11 09:39 PM
    nice work CuddlyCombine! And i just spotted a bug it appears to cutoff the profiles icon. Im aiming to have updates available mid-late week
    05-21-11 11:22 AM
    nice work CuddlyCombine! And i just spotted a bug it appears to cutoff the profiles icon. Im aiming to have updates available mid-late week
    Yeah, the loud profile does seem to get cut off a bit. Cheers though, can't wait for updates!

EDIT: Custom color schemes work nicely with this bad boy!

Here's a PSD for experimenting if anybody is inclined (requires Photoshop CS2 or later):
    Alphas for Vintage Theme (4MB)
    Last edited by CuddlyCombine; 05-21-11 at 07:32 PM.
    05-21-11 04:42 PM
    Ok, I saw this theme and thought, meh it looks alright. But after reading the feedback I HAVE to have this theme!
    Great work, and thanks!

Last edited by dfairlite; 05-22-11 at 03:59 AM.
    05-22-11 03:22 AM
    One thing I'm noticing on my homescreen is when the alarm is enabled the indicator by the clock is cutoff by the button that slides the dock out. Also, if you could make a custom twitter4bb icon that would be sweet!

05-22-11 03:52 AM
    This theme just looks awesome!
    Wish I had the money to buy it, but alas my mortgage has longer lasting value
    Looks great though, good job on making it very unique and clean.

05-22-11 06:54 AM
    This theme just looks awesome!
    Wish I had the money to buy it, but alas my mortgage has longer lasting value
    Looks great though, good job on making it very unique and clean.

PM me your paypal and I'll gift you a copy of the theme.
    Manoman likes this.
    05-22-11 03:07 PM
    PM me your paypal and I'll gift you a copy of the theme.

Well isn't that just insanely awesome of you (seriously)
    Unfortunately for me though, I don't have a PayPal account, crazy isn't it?

Last edited by Manoman; 05-22-11 at 07:07 PM.
    05-22-11 07:01 PM
    Well isn't that just insanely awesome of you (seriously)
    Unfortunately for me though, I don't have a PayPal account, crazy isn't it?

Well, that is pretty crazy in this day and age! If only the AppVerse allowed for gifting.
    05-22-11 07:09 PM
    Haha!
    I agree completely!

05-22-11 07:47 PM
    Well, that is pretty crazy in this day and age! If only the AppVerse allowed for gifting.
    You could just DM him a promo code that discounted down to zero...

05-27-11 02:57 AM
    You could just DM him a promo code that discounted down to zero...

I'm not the theme creator - can I do that?
    05-27-11 04:47 AM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD