Hi there, I've posted the same question in the 9810 subforum but figured I would get more replies here than over there. Considering that the 9810 and 9800 have the same form factor, the same questions apply.

A bit of history, I've had the 7520-> 8300-> 9000 -> 9550 (two months) -> 9700. Now as you can see, all I've known is the keyboard, and I'm much more efficient when I have a keyboard. I absolutely hated the storm 2, it didn't work the way I wanted and I hated the damn click. I had my heart set on buying the 9900 but with the camera fiasco, I'm back to square one with what phone I should buy. My phone is my primary camera so it needs to be good. So if torch community wouldn't mind, could you please answer a few questions.
    1. Compared to the size of the 9700, how is the 9810. I don't mean in terms of mm and weight, I mean how does it feel. Does it feel bulky and clunky?

2. How is the keyboard?

3. Do you have to constantly slide the keyboard open to reply to bbms and messages or will a screen pop up for touch typing? Also, does it get annoying/irritating to constantly keep sliding open the screen?

4. What are the biggest plus points when compared to the 9700 and what are the biggest drawbacks when compared to the 9700.

Thanks for the help guys!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-13-11 08:38 AM
    Hi there, I've posted the same question in the 9810 subforum but figured I would get more replies here than over there. Considering that the 9810 and 9800 have the same form factor, the same questions apply.

A bit of history, I've had the 7520-> 8300-> 9000 -> 9550 (two months) -> 9700. Now as you can see, all I've known is the keyboard, and I'm much more efficient when I have a keyboard. I absolutely hated the storm 2, it didn't work the way I wanted and I hated the damn click. I had my heart set on buying the 9900 but with the camera fiasco, I'm back to square one with what phone I should buy. My phone is my primary camera so it needs to be good. So if torch community wouldn't mind, could you please answer a few questions.
    1. Compared to the size of the 9700, how is the 9810. I don't mean in terms of mm and weight, I mean how does it feel. Does it feel bulky and clunky?

2. How is the keyboard?

3. Do you have to constantly slide the keyboard open to reply to bbms and messages or will a screen pop up for touch typing? Also, does it get annoying/irritating to constantly keep sliding open the screen?

4. What are the biggest plus points when compared to the 9700 and what are the biggest drawbacks when compared to the 9700.

Thanks for the help guys!

sounds to me like the 9780 is the phone for u it has the same form factor as 9700 and it has torch specs camera ,memory,os6,processor.....one of my coworkers was rockin the torch...he replaced it with the 9780 he found the torch a little top heavy when he used the keyboard he also gained an extra day of battery life from the 9780
    08-13-11 09:25 AM
    Since the new OS7 is out in the 9810 and the 9900, go for one of those. Plenty of posts about these features you are asking about on the News section with video.
    08-13-11 09:34 AM
    Ofcourse you will but tbh you should of waited for 9810 because its got more and better features
    08-13-11 09:39 AM
    The debate right now is whether to get the 9810 (bulkier but better camera) or the 9900 (thin, great keyboard, useless camera). Has anyone here upgraded from a 9700 to a 9800? What was your feeling of it? What do u miss from the 9700?

08-13-11 12:36 PM
    I did. One of the good things was going to a better camera, larger screen and OS6 support.

On the bad notes, the phone was considerably a bit more heavier than the 9700, the keyboard is a little smaller, and the battery isn't as good as a 9700.

On a personal note, I don't think the speaker on the 9800 isn't as good as the ones found on the 9700 (The 9000 had two - on either side of the handset), even when set to the loudest option. The amount of times I missed calls and messages while I'm out in crowded or noisey environments...
    Last edited by d3m0n_edge; 08-13-11 at 03:02 PM.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-13-11 02:59 PM
    As it's a personal preference I doubt we'll be able to tell if you'd be happy with one. But we can certainly answer your questions.

There is an onscreen keyboard that appears when you need it and you still have the slider closer. It's handy sometimes, but the on-screen keyboard, imo, is tiny and inefficient...although effective. And I have relatively small hands. It'd sort of be like typing on an HTC wildfire I guess...without swype and a nice keyboard.

As for the speaker, I'd have to agree. It is by far one of the quietest phones I've ever owned. I too, often miss calls because I cannot hear my phone from my bag. Although I do always hear my alarms...a bit odd I guess, considering the alarms (songs just like ringtones) go off during class when all the kids are coming in from lunch and are very noisy.

Oh, re the camera, I'd get online and look at reviews where they have information about the camera. I'm not overly impressed with the camera on mine and often have to adjust all the settings manually to get a decent shot. I tried to take a photo of a rather spectacular sunset around 2 weeks ago and it looks completely washed out. I wish I'd had my regular camera on hand rather than the Torch. But it's good for every day photos I guess, if you're stuck. Again, that's just my opinion.
    andy957 likes this.
    08-13-11 04:54 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD