I have wifi at home and can pick it up where ever possible.
    When I'm at work I do not have wifi and usually just have my data service set to ON. Since I spend more time in the areas without wifi than I do in areas with, I end up going thru my data plan mb before the month starts over and I get overage charges (since I obviously don't have the unlimited plan).

Here is my question:
    Is there a way to set up my phone so that it ONLY uses wifi. If I'm at the office (no wifi) then basically the data service is off. When I get home (wifi) it picks up my wifi and data service is on.

Is this possible?

Thanks
    07-06-11 07:26 PM
    To turn off data, go to Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options>Data Services>Change to "Off".
    07-06-11 07:29 PM
    To turn off data, go to Manage Connections>Mobile Network Options>Data Services>Change to "Off".
    +1

By defulat the device, and native apps, will prefer wifi over mobile data, when it is available... If you are going over your limit, and trying not to use data by browsing, streaming etc when not on wifi, chances are an app that uses BIS only (ie facebook) is updating too often, like every 15 mins or so (pointless)

Also, some third party apps must be configured manually (from the specific app's settings) to use wifi over mobile data

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    ridesno159 likes this.
    07-06-11 10:02 PM
    I know about this already, that's what I'm trying to avoid having to do.
    Instead of doing that, I wanted to know if there was a way to set it to automatically do this when there is no wifi.

thanks
    07-07-11 11:28 AM
    There are apps like SmartWiFi which (de)activate Wi-Fi based on cell tower, but AFAIK there's no app to (de)activate Data Services like you want. If you are content with quickly turning Data Services on/off, look into ShortcutMe. I used SM to toggle Bluetooth on/off on my 8220.
    balentinebj likes this.
    07-07-11 01:15 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD