There is this weird problem with my 9800 The wifi doesn't work without enabling cellular data and that obviously costs me
    Is there any setting corrupt ??
    Please help
    05-05-13 03:59 AM
    Hey there,

If you go to Mobile Networks and switch off Data Connection, it basically kills ALL data including WiFi.
    If you leave it on and you are connected to WiFi, the BB will opt for WiFi as the preferred connection, hence not using your cellular data.

Hope that answers the question.

Cheers
    05-05-13 04:40 AM
    Hey there,

If you go to Mobile Networks and switch off Data Connection, it basically kills ALL data including WiFi.
    If you leave it on and you are connected to WiFi, the BB will opt for WiFi as the preferred connection, hence not using your cellular data.

Hope that answers the question.

Cheers
    No buddy this isn't the case I also have a 9900 and almost always my data services are set to off on it but still my wifi works perfectly.

There is definitely some other issue
    05-05-13 05:32 AM
    No buddy this isn't the case I also have a 9900 and almost always my data services are set to off on it but still my wifi works perfectly.

There is definitely some other issue
    I agree. I just tried it on my 9800, and wifi still worked even with data turned off. It's the mobile data setting which is why wifi should still work (haven't tested long enough to see of emails still come through). Don't know why it wouldn't for you. Do you still get the 4-dot BB symbol next to the wifi symbol? Mine switched over from the 3G symbol even though it was still showing (and still capitalized).
    05-07-13 05:45 PM
    I am having the same problem and not resolved yet.
    05-09-13 06:32 AM
    i m facing problem with my BB torch 9800 where if i switch off my data plan i cannot avail the wifi service either but same is not the case with my other BB torch 9810 even after switching the data plan off i can work on wifi....kindly advice if i keep my data service on and surf on 9800 would i be charged by my service provider or would that hit my wifi network
    09-03-13 01:13 AM
    cant say anything for sure but here is a tip check your current balance on your sim and then start browsing with wifi turned on open Bing or any other site and then check back your balance left on your sim card this way you'll know what is workin the wifi or your data services
    09-08-13 02:10 PM
    BTwifi search is not working
    09-09-13 08:22 PM
    I spoke at length to my service provider about this issue. For some reason the older BB will NOT connect to Wifi if you do not have some sort of data plan. The phone needs to connect to BB servers to authenticate, and without registering for a data plan this can't happen. The newer phones no longer have this limitation, so it depends on what you have.

My service provider suggested 1) cheap data plan and then don't use it or 2) get a newer phone. I went with 3) don't bother with either.
    Jeff Duncan2 likes this.
    09-11-13 05:04 PM
    Thanks for the update. I was recently give an old 9800 by my inlaws she up graded. I dont have a data plan so I had it turned off and tried to connect to my wifi. I picked up the network but nothing would work.

Now I know why!
    Thank you
    09-12-13 04:55 PM
    I am totally disappointed, I am having the same problem, not sure how come Blackberry want it at some point to obligate people to pay to them a license to surf the internet by wifi. So my promise is that I will never buy from blackberry anymore!!!
    10-20-13 11:39 AM
    Battery pull!

Or reinstall OS!

I have Wifi access even without celular data...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    madx80h likes this.
    10-20-13 11:43 AM
    Since my last post in this thread, I've upgraded to the Z10. But even though the 9800 is totally off line, cellular-wise (no SIM and unregistered from the BIS), the wi-fi still works. It can still browse the Internet, and a lot of apps still work that can bypass BIS over wi-fi - like BeWeather, and even the BlackBerry News app.

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 12:56 PM
    There is this weird problem with my 9800 The wifi doesn't work without enabling cellular data and that obviously costs me
    Please help
    12-15-14 11:57 PM
    This is general question for devices made for some countries. I solved that problem by changing my OS to the 6.0.0.2949 assembly (apps v. 6.0.0.668)
    04-14-15 10:12 AM
    I had the same issue, but on a Samsung

I was able to resolve this by connecting to a VPN, I use Surf Easy, as it's free. There are many free VPN's out there.
    09-05-15 02:19 PM
    Please help
    I can get ny to do wifi with data plan but I can't seem to get a add internet email account under email accounts
    04-22-16 08:24 PM
    This is general question for devices made for some countries. I solved that problem by changing my OS to the 6.0.0.2949 assembly (apps v. 6.0.0.668)
    How do you change the OS?
    11-18-17 03:04 PM