I've noticed in the last month or so (possibly before) that every now and then when connected to WiFi my Torch won't connect to anything online. It'll be connected and full signal strength and I'll try to load a page and it will say "requesting" at the bottom for a while then a box appears saying there has been a communication error - I can solve it by turning off the Wi-Fi then turning it back on again (on the phone itself), after that it'll work for a while before it stops again and I have to repeat the 'fix'. I don't think it's the Wi-Fi setup as it's happened on 2 different networks that I've noticed, my partner has a Torch with no similar problem and all laptops connect fine. It's just annoying that I have to turn it off and on again and aren't able to just pick up and surf right away all the time. I'm running 6.0.0.600.

Has anyone experienced anything similar? Or know a permanent 'fix'?
    09-17-11 05:26 AM
    Well what i have tried and it worked successfully for me I changed the encryption on my WI-Fi to WEP 128Bit and it works like a charm. What you will need to do is go to your router's home page and there would be an option to change it.
    09-17-11 05:31 AM
    I also had difficulties with WiFi. Sometimes worked well, the times took and sometimes not connected. Happened with the Torch 9800 and mainly with the Playbook. This happened in different WiFi networks, but to varying degrees. In some the problem was much smaller and less frequent. This got me thinking that can relate the quality standard, and updating the equipment router. Any way I also changed the network security at home to WEP ( left Wpa/Wpa2) (only first key Wep was accepted for playbook as default) and the problem apparently solved. Still occurs with frenquencia really very small, but I believe really be related with use local weak /low power signal.

Try change security and do the test in different positions or even networks of different equipment.
    09-17-11 07:27 AM
    Thanks guys, I'll change it to WEP and see how it goes.
    09-17-11 11:06 AM
    I've had two Torches and both have done this. With WPA encryption, the connection would actually disconnect and fail to reconnect until I reset either the router or the Torch. I tried turning off encryption altogether and it would reconnect just fine but have periods with no data being transferred. Just tried WEP and it seems to have made no difference in behaviour.

What router are you using? The problems happen to me on a Linksys WRT54GX. It works fine with a WRT54GS with WPA2 encryption.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-17-11 11:12 AM
    This is a Netgear 'hub' supplied by and branded Virgin. It's been behaving today (I haven't changed the encryption yet), my phone hasn't disconnected at all... yet!
    09-18-11 03:32 PM
    Mine has been working a lot better the last few days since I lowered the beacon interval in my router settings. I went to 1 at first, which solved the network drop issue but overheated the router which caused random resets. I'm now at an interval of 50, which the router can handle but the Torch still drops the WiFi connection every 20 minutes or so - but it reconnects in a few seconds and the "no data" issue seems to be gone.

I also wrote myself an app that resets the WiFi connection on the BlackBerry on the now rare occasion that I send a BBM message while the WiFi is acting up - it's set to my convenience key and it will quickly make BBM use the mobile network connection. Otherwise, I can get messages that never send.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-26-11 06:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD