Seriously, I can't even watch 30 seconds, without it buffering, and then it says "media is in an unsupported format" and the video stops playing...are you kidding me???? And yes, I am on wifi. Is anyone else experiencing this crappy youtube and anyone know any solutions?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-07-11 07:12 AM
    Umm, no. I occasionally get a buffering notice, but that's probably more a result of server traffic than anything specific to the Torch. I see pretty similar YouTube performance from my Torch as I see on my wife's iPhone 4.
    04-07-11 07:16 AM
    You may need to upgrade your OS. If you are running on an old OS, it could be the cause of why youtube videos don't play very well. I know on my Torch they play excellent, except for the ones that aren't supported in the mobile version, which I haven't came across one of those for quite awhile. Occasionally I will get a video that seems like it won't play, and continues to buffer until I pause it and let it buffer for a couple secs, I play it and it plays smoothly.
    04-07-11 07:24 AM
    Media in an unsupported format shouldn't be the Torchs problem. Its sorta self explainatory. The media is in a format that the bb can't render. But I thought youtube only supported 2 format mp4 and 3gp. And BB supports both. Every 30 seconds on wifi sounds alittle harsh.

Last edited by 13echo4; 04-07-11 at 07:49 AM.
    04-07-11 07:26 AM
    Youtube sucks on ALL Blackberry's, not just the Torch.
    Dude that's not even close to true. I'll put my torch next to whatever you want to brang.

04-07-11 07:30 AM
    I have no problems at the wifi at home. But at work the wifi connection is far to slow for streaming. Try to use GIST to measure the connection speed. It must be above 400kbps to be ok.

04-07-11 07:37 AM
    3g is great but not that great as it can be unreliable at times. Ever tried watching a youtube video via your super fast wifi connection - light and day huh? No doubt, there's room for improvement in the software.
    04-07-11 07:38 AM
    I have this problem too, I can't even watch them. It will buffer for about 30 seconds. Play two seconds of the video, then buffer again. I don't understand why you can't just pause it and let it load.

04-07-11 07:39 AM
    Don't do that. It will only lead to disappointment and heartache.
    Yea for you..... I've already tested other platforms. I already know what to expect. Its you thatbwill a reality check.
    If your running an unencrypted network then your running a B or G connection. That's a lot slower than the N connection. On top of this what kind of connectionnspeeds do you get from your isp. Your BB isn't going to magicly going to pull the data faster than its getting to you. This is a very test I preform daily to test x brands browser against the 6.0 browser. On a N connection everthing is just snappy. Why your getting buffering can be a lot of reasons untell yall list your setup and things like that we can't really tell you why.
    Last edited by 13echo4; 04-07-11 at 08:00 AM.
    04-07-11 07:51 AM
    You don't understand, it like this for EVERY single youtube video I watch, and I'm literally 5 feet away from my $200 router every time. How can every video be "an unsupported format"? And I am on the latest OS, you know bb's are bad when a 20 second video can't load

04-07-11 07:56 AM
    You don't understand, it like this for EVERY single youtube video I watch, and I'm literally 5 feet away from my $200 router every time. How can every video be "an unsupported format"? And I am on the latest OS, you know bb's are bad when a 20 second video can't load

You don't understand. I'm 40 feet from my $45 linkskyp E1000 router and I can watch youtube all I want. This is a connection problem not a torch problem.

04-07-11 08:12 AM

I understand. The video will play then buffer then unsupported. I had this problem with .246. Rarley could I get through a whole video on wifi or 3g Upgrading the OS to .526 seems to have fixed it for me.
    04-07-11 08:27 AM
    I'm going to agree with 13echo4. It's either something wrong with your router (have you rebooted it yet?) or something is wrong with the wifi setup in the Torch, perhaps do to a poor OS install or the user playing with settings.
    I have had every version of OS 6 installed and never had a problem with streaming 95% of YouTube videos, on Wifi, or 3G for that matter.
    04-07-11 08:51 AM
    How do u upgrade to .526?

04-07-11 08:52 AM
    04-07-11 09:01 AM
    Leaked? Isn't there viruses and stuff and won't your phone get messed up because its not official?

04-07-11 09:10 AM
    I'm on .246 and on att

04-07-11 09:11 AM
    Leaked? Isn't there viruses and stuff and won't your phone get messed up because its not official?

NO.

The OS .526 is a version of OS6 from RIM. 'Leaked' basically just means that none of the carriers have officialy released it yet (or they may never either). It's perfectly safe.
    If you are uncomfortable with installing it then go to the RIM Downloads site and get an official copy of .448 (newest) from a carrier such as Rogers or Orange.
    04-07-11 09:21 AM
    if you get the leak from crackberry that is couple day old, it will be safe, if there is a virus or something in it, you can be sure that crackberry team will remove it from here. So if the post is a couple day old, you are pretty sure it is safe because a lot of people did try it.
    04-07-11 09:27 AM
    if you get the leak from crackberry that is couple day old, it will be safe, if there is a virus or something in it, you can be sure that crackberry team will remove it from here. So if the post is a couple day old, you are pretty sure it is safe because a lot of people did try it.
    How do u download it?

04-07-11 09:48 AM
    ^ Go back to the link I gave you in post #17
    The first 3 post give you download locations and instructions to load it.
    04-07-11 09:58 AM
    I don't have any problems watching youtube on my 9780.
    It's very fast too even i don't use Wi-fi.

I don't have a Torch 9800, 555
    04-07-11 10:08 AM
    Yea for you..... I've already tested other platforms. I already know what to expect. Its you thatbwill a reality check.
    If your running an unencrypted network then your running a B or G connection. That's a lot slower than the N connection. On top of this what kind of connectionnspeeds do you get from your isp. Your BB isn't going to magicly going to pull the data faster than its getting to you. This is a very test I preform daily to test x brands browser against the 6.0 browser. On a N connection everthing is just snappy. Why your getting buffering can be a lot of reasons untell yall list your setup and things like that we can't really tell you why.
    Wireless g is faster than internet speeds so using wireless n does nothing for internet speeds. Wireless n however is much faster for local network speeds.
    04-07-11 10:53 AM
    Wireless g is faster than internet speeds so using wireless n does nothing for internet speeds. Wireless n however is much faster for local network speeds.
    Really? "N" transfer speedis 130-160 mbs w/ a max of 300 mbs@ 2.4 ghz-5ghz. "G" is 56-120 mbs @ 2.4ghz. If your useing a mixed router then your fastest speed is going to be on the fadtest on the slower protocal. So in my case 120 mbs is the best I'll ever see. The thing that helps with the "N" router is the mimo platform. The receiving and taxing hsveing its own channels makes a diffetence. Of course the 5ghz has a shorter range but walls don't interfer. I don't have trouble with 2.4ghz myself.
    My point in my post wad coming in here and say my torch doesn't work and you don't understand I'm 5 feet awsy from a $200 router doesn't mean anything and we can't help him. If they are running a "n" mixed router and have it set to use "g" protocal it can cause some issues. I had issues when I setup an unencrypted connection with my torch. Running with "N" settings works the best. Better yet at work we have "N" only routers any I get dang good seat of the pants speeds.

Last edited by 13echo4; 04-08-11 at 01:11 AM.
    04-07-11 12:24 PM
    My Torch is on .526. And I've used .337, .448, .450 as well. Both wifi and 3G I have zero issues with YouTube. Plays just fine. I have never seen 'unsupported format'.

Not sure what the issue is, but YouTube doesn't suck on the Torch. Unfortunately however it seems to suck on your Torch. As has been mentioned, upgrade the OS. .246 blows. Anything above that is an improvement and will help with all aspects of your Torch experience.

04-07-11 09:48 PM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD