I still can't find a single thread about how messed up the colors are on the Torch.

It's the same color banding issues the Storm had. Why does the Torch have the issue; and why hasn't it been fixed?

It's so bad, I hate looking at pictures. All the pictures on my Torch have such poor color quality, that the original Razr has better picture quality. I'm am not making that up. I compared the same picture on a Razr and the Torch, and the Razr was a little better.

It is absolutely ridiculous that the picture quality is so bad. The Bold 9700 doesn't have this problem. The display on the 9700 is breathtaking. The display on the Torch is hideous.

Why the difference?
    10-06-10 12:59 PM
    Is my BlackBerry the only Torch to have this problem? Is that why everyone continues to ignore my posts about color banding, or is now a issue RIM will never fix so people ignore it?
    10-06-10 01:40 PM
    dude... you waited 40 minutes and then assumed we are ignoring you...

do you know these things work?
    you make a post, and when someone has an answer or a comment they enter it. it could take DAYS for proper replies or answers from someone who can help you with your matter.
    10-06-10 01:43 PM
    Yea..I don't know what your talking about. Granted I'm no photographer so maybe I have this "color banding" like you say but have no idea whhat I'm supposed to be looking for..all my pics look fine. I come from a 9530 and I never noticed anything wrong with its pics either. So I'm either missing something or don't have any issues,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-06-10 01:52 PM
    I'm having some colour banding issues. The backgrounds I liked from digitalblasphemy, for example, look hideous. I'm thinking of downgrading to 214, as I'm also having battery issues.
    10-06-10 01:55 PM
    All mine look fine.

Be sure you are using the best settings for the situation. Although "auto" is good for almost all situations.

At least I think so. But its probably because my expectations are lowered since it is a camera on a phone afterall.

10-06-10 01:58 PM
    Yea..I don't know what your talking about. Granted I'm no photographer so maybe I have this "color banding" like you say but have no idea whhat I'm supposed to be looking for..all my pics look fine. I come from a 9530 and I never noticed anything wrong with its pics either. So I'm either missing something or don't have any issues.
    ^What he said.

I have no clue what color banding is nor do I see anything that bothers me when looking at pictures on my Torch...
    10-06-10 01:59 PM
    Color banding? Haven't seen it and the Torch takes great pics.

The only complaint I could see is if people are used to devices that have a blue tint to the pictures, whereas the Torch has yellow

10-06-10 02:01 PM
    Also auto + single shot focus (hold camera button halfway down) works better than continual focus, because you know when the device has focused or not before taking the shot

10-06-10 02:02 PM
    It's not just camera photos. It's everything on the screen. Looking at the SureType keys right now, I can see about five distinct "bands" of colour. Ideally, I should struggle to notice any bands at all.

10-06-10 02:16 PM
    All mine look fine.

Be sure you are using the best settings for the situation. Although "auto" is good for almost all situations.

At least I think so. But its probably because my expectations are lowered since it is a camera on a phone afterall.

It's not just pictures I take with my phone. It's pictures I download from my computer that I take with a Canon XTi. Also, every picture on websites look horrendous.
    10-06-10 02:45 PM
    I don't see any color banding on my Torch. All pics I look at (wallpapers, websites, camera) look fine. Perhaps try adjusting the brightness of your screen and see if things improve.
    10-06-10 03:34 PM
    It's not just pictures I take with my phone. It's pictures I download from my computer that I take with a Canon XTi. Also, every picture on websites look horrendous.
    Ever consider getting your eyes checked?
    if your seeing it everywhere and not just on your phone.
    10-06-10 04:01 PM
    Ever consider getting your eyes checked?
    if your seeing it everywhere and not just on your phone.
    Hey smart mouth, he never said it's "everywhere". If you're going to post sarcastic comments, at least learn to read properly.

10-06-10 05:38 PM
    It's not just camera photos. It's everything on the screen. Looking at the SureType keys right now, I can see about five distinct "bands" of colour. Ideally, I should struggle to notice any bands at all.

Wait... you're talking about something entirely different than what this thread was originally about as far as I can tell...

The color gradients on the keyboard are from the image compression on the images used for the keys. It has NOTHING to do with the device whatsoever...
    10-06-10 05:44 PM
    Wait... you're talking about something entirely different than what this thread was originally about as far as I can tell...

The color gradients on the keyboard are from the image compression on the images used for the keys. It has NOTHING to do with the device whatsoever...
    I'm using the keys as an example. I already mentioned that wallpaper images look hideous.

10-06-10 05:59 PM
    Maybe its a hardware issue then.

I have a few pics on my phone that was taken with my 10mpx that are rendered pretty damn good on my phone's screen.

And in general, I don't get anything close to the display you are describing.

Try getting a new one and see, you really got nothing to lose since you are within your 1 year warranty period.

10-06-10 11:22 PM

the pic on the left has visible color banding.

I haven't noticed it much on my Torch, at least not enough to comment or care.
    10-07-10 12:08 AM
    I think the pictures on the Torch look fantastic!
    10-07-10 01:53 AM
    At first I wasn't sure what he was talking about but if it's radiant then it's not a problem with the phone but it's how the phone compresses every image for faster viewing purposes.

When I had the tour with OS 4.7 and early OS 5, the pictures weren't compress and looked sharp and clear. Until recent OS upgrades they compressed the pictures so that the slideshow and thumbnail views could switch faster and better memory management. I was very annoyed at this and didn't want to downgrade my OS so I found a solution that helps reduce the compression but not 100%. Go to option, memory card and disable compression. If I wanted to see the clearest preview of the picture, I would have to change to full view mode to fit screen. Unfortunately, there is no option I found in OS 6 to do this yet.
    Last edited by thymaster; 10-07-10 at 03:03 AM.
    10-07-10 02:58 AM
    Very helpful post, thymaster. Thanks. I found the compression option in the storage screen and unchecked it.

10-07-10 04:39 AM
    I notice the colours being washed too - e.g. when viewing pictures in the gallery, seeing pictures over BB Messenger and etc.

Very odd, pictures don't appear vibrant - and my brightness is on high - when I put it them on my PC you instantly notice the difference - my monitor has been hardware calibrated FYI.
    10-07-10 05:26 AM
    Looking at the example photos LadyVW posted, the two desert photos look almost identical side by side in terms of the colour banding. On my computer, the photo on the right has a lot smoother colouring.
    On the 24-bit gradiant scale example, I can see around 16 distinct shades of red.
    Now, if this is what everyone sees, then I will have to just live with it, as long as i know it's not just me. Performance is more important anyways.

Last edited by Masahiro; 10-07-10 at 06:16 AM.
    10-07-10 06:11 AM
    Hey smart mouth, he never said it's "everywhere". If you're going to post sarcastic comments, at least learn to read properly.

Umm if u read his post ...... its on his phone, the sure type keys, on his desktop monitor with pictures taken with another camera as well as images on websites, .... thats pretty much everywhere and not just on his device to me... and i wasnt being a smart mouth and maybe he should actually get his eyes checked. Maybe you should actually READ posts before spouting off at people who are being serious.

Edit:

i do see color bands on the photo on the left that ladyVW posted but nothing on the one on the right. I actually have to concentrate on the photo to actually see the color bands and i have 20/20 vision. Just had my checked yesterday
    Last edited by homer1475; 10-07-10 at 06:56 AM.
    10-07-10 06:48 AM

What he's talking about is the same thing. On any picture viewed on the Torch, regardless of where I got it from, there is "color banding".

I know it isn't the actual device that is the problem. The Storm had a wonderful screen, then about 5 updates into it the color banding problem started.

I think it's unique to RIM's touchscreen devices, for some reason. Anybody have any ideas why the touchscreen BB's have this problem, but the classic BB's don't?

The Bold 9700 has a perfect screen. The Torch does not.
    10-07-10 08:34 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD