As much as I like the Torch, I want the 4G version,...with more RAM,...a little faster processor and more battery juice. So, I will continue to press on with my worthy 9700 until a 4G version is released. If by chance no 4G version of the 9800,...I suppose the EVO will be a worthy replacement.

Whatcha think?
    11-01-10 09:59 PM
    I think you will be waiting a while.

Maybe the second quarter of next year.

I wouldn't expect it any earlier...but I don't know.
    11-01-10 10:03 PM
    As much as I like the Torch, I want the 4G version,...with more RAM,...a little faster processor and more battery juice. So, I will continue to press on with my worthy 9700 until a 4G version is released. If by chance no 4G version of the 9800,...I suppose the EVO will be a worthy replacement.

Whatcha think?
    Im hugely disappointed with 4g on my wireless card, would never pay $10 extra per month for it on a phone, rip off. Lotta people falling for it because it says 4 instead of 3 but I honestly switch over to 3 on my wireless card for better speed depending on what city I am in.
    11-01-10 10:11 PM
    Could be a while considering no carriers have 4g yet (regardless of what they advertise). See this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f40/tru...2015-a-542173/
    11-01-10 10:12 PM
    You are going to be waiting a couple more years for that. I would imagine next year will bring a processor upgrade and a better screen.

Or at least it better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-01-10 10:22 PM
    4g is a scam at the moment its not available in many cities and on top of that we are barely hitting half of 3g's possible speeds so wuts the point in the waste...its a marketing tool as gordon said hes payin 10 bux extra for service that doesn't exist.
    11-01-10 10:38 PM
    Actually, that's half true. I have a tech guy at at&t that's been giving me some really cool info!

At&t is testing their "4g" network right now in 4 cities. Those are, l.a., New York, Detroit & Chicago. It predicted at&t will make an official announcement before February of next year & it will launch within 2 months of the announcement. With that being said it should start with those 4 cities & work its way out from there & there will be 5 phones at first launch of the new speed which right now it getting is running at 48 mbps download speed. What phones will be 4g isn't set in stone but he said Motorola, HTC & Nokia are all building phones forthe new at&t network. By this time next year they expect to have 20 4g phones. Also, theres another network fix in high traffic areas which i think is wicked cool. Theyre planning on placing wifi towers in high traffic areas like chicago & new york to help the 3g network. The micro cell for the home is a great idea & has helped a lot of people when theyre at home but obviously that doesnt help when you leave the house. So having huge free wifi towers that cover a large area will clear up some issues.

Back to the torch 4g, i doubt that will ever see the light of day. If it does come out id guess at least a year from today.

11-01-10 11:20 PM
    I think you will be waiting a while.

Maybe the second quarter of next year.

I wouldn't expect it any earlier...but I don't know.
    I'd expect it much later than that. Maybe third or fourth quarter at the absolute earliest for ANY Blackberry 4G phone. More than likely we'll probably hear rumors about them around those times and we'll get them in 2012.

That's just my guess.
    11-02-10 02:37 AM
    I'd expect it much later than that. Maybe third or fourth quarter at the absolute earliest for ANY Blackberry 4G phone. More than likely we'll probably hear rumors about them around those times and we'll get them in 2012.

That's just my guess.
    Yeah I was actually thinking more along the lines of any 4G phone from BlackBerry.

RIM has been pretty consistent with 1 year between next versions of phones.

Year between Storm and Storm 2
    Year between 9000 and 9700, and now another year brings 9780.

I figured best case was almost mid next year for BlackBerry 4G.
    11-02-10 03:13 AM
    Oh boy I can't wait for slightly better data speeds in very few locations, higher data fees and way lower battery life.

I love marketing!

11-02-10 03:15 AM
    It would be nice if the offered better 3G coverage. I am always going from 3G to EDGE and when I do get 3G I never have more than 4 bars with it usually sitting on 2-3. If a 4G phone comes out for AT&T I would probably pass and go back to Verizon as the had better coverage in my area.

What about LTE though? Isn't it supposed to be better than 4G and the next great thing? They may just skip doing a 4G upgrade and go LTE.

11-02-10 07:33 AM
    Would be nice if even regular coverage was better then worrying about 4g speeds. **** where i live I'm lucky to get 2g let alone coverage at all and AT&T has the best coverage in my area and even that's spotty at best.
    11-02-10 07:50 AM
    4g is a scam at the moment its not available in many cities and on top of that we are barely hitting half of 3g's possible speeds so wuts the point in the waste...its a marketing tool as gordon said hes payin 10 bux extra for service that doesn't exist.
    i completely agree with this.
    why pay $10 extra for a service that's not fully rolled out yet.
    we're not paying extra for the 3G.
    11-02-10 07:53 AM
    4g is great for a USB modem. That is, if you live in a metro area that has it. I love Sprint's device on my laptop, but I can't imagine it would be useful on a mobile device. Coverage just isn't there and you'd be searching forever.
    11-02-10 08:52 AM
    Kinda hard to get excited about a 4G phone when the service isn't even being tested in my area yet.

11-02-10 08:55 AM
    Kinda hard to get excited about a 4G phone when the service isn't even being tested in my area yet.

If its not being tested in your area now then most likely it never will test by you. reason being is, they only test in areas that are hard for them to get a good signal. That way when they place towers in new areas that are easier it wont be a struggle. People don't always understand everything that goes into placing a new tower. There's a lot of red tape & legal work that goes into it. You have to get zoning permits, the equipment, a location...so on & so on. I was walking into work last week & I saw at&t replacing a cell tower right outside my business. Those things are huge & there is a lot that they need to do.

11-02-10 09:56 AM
    Well, like many are doing today,...I'm currently installing OS6 on my 9700! Personally, my 9700 was optimized with a few apps that really fit my use of my BB. However, there are a lot of features I like about OS6,...and hopefully I continue to have a good experience with my BB. So, for now, OS6 will pacify me until a 4G 9800 is released.

Edit: FWIW, the bigger screen of the 9800 is a great selling point for me as it's wayyyyyy more screen real estate than the 9700!
    11-02-10 10:32 AM
    Very true. 4g is such a scam. Also, sometimes i will be in an area and only pick up EDGE and not 3g, and EDGE appears to be just as fast as 3G. just like you said, we havent tapped the full power of 3g, so no point in wasting your time going to 4g. Its like when HD tvs came out, and their price was out rageous (this was at least 5, 6, or 7 years ago. Look where we are now, it was only recently in the last 2 or 3 years that HD has no become standard brodcasting. if you bought an HD tv 7 years ago, you would have wasted your money because those 7 year old hd tvs are awful compared to the newer cheaper ones. So if you buy a 4g phone, chances are by the time 4g is actually useful, the phone will be severley outdated.
    11-02-10 10:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD