Does anyone else here not like the Torch? I've had mine for a couple of hours and I'm already thinking about returning it.

I don't like touch screens, so I was just planning on using the physical keyboard and the trackpad just like on the other BB's I've had. But I'm finding that the touch screen is convenient for a few things and then sometimes need to pull out the physical keyboard anyway. Arggh...

I'm also disappointed that some of the apps you get with AT&T require a fee (like Maps and Navigator) while they are included free with Sprint.
    05-27-11 07:02 PM
    A few hours? Takes most people I talk to about a week to get used to the keyboard.
    Its really not that big of a deal to slide out the keyboard.
    But you like what you like. You should get something else that suits you better.
    05-27-11 07:07 PM
    The design I really like is the Bold, which is what I had before my current Style. I may just wait until I can get another Bold.
    05-27-11 07:10 PM
    Definitely agree with a week being minimum adjustment period for the keyboard.

I hated my first Torch, and returned it four weeks. Missing a large & touch screen, I got a second, and I love it! It has zero of the problems my first one had, so I must have gotten a faulty model.

As for apps, download app world. There are too many apps to count in there.

Hours is seriously impatient, are you OCD? All new things feel strange, you have to give it time to meld into your daily routine.
    05-27-11 07:14 PM
    Hey, i had sprint before att and i will say sprint gives u alot att blocks everything and wants fees. so ur nav you can get blackberry maps free for ur torch at blackberry.com or my fav is google maps that is free as well. just google it and you can find it. i love my torch and i miss my style but i dont miss sprints spotty service.
    05-27-11 07:24 PM
    the torch and style are my two fav blackberrys but my love is my playbook for sure!!!!!!!!!!
    05-27-11 07:25 PM
    The new bold is worth waiting for. The utility afforded by the touch screen is a welcome addition, but having to slide out the keyboard is something you might stop hating in time, not something you learn to appreciate. After a few months with the torch I want a 9900 bad enough to use the wife's 2 year credit to get one. I'm certain the sadistic SOBs at RIM kept the redonkulous lock button, but otherwise it looks to be the perfect phone for me.
    05-27-11 08:20 PM
    Okay, okay, I've had a few hours to calm down... :-)

No, I'm not OCD either...just kicking myself that I got the Style and not the Bold when I went with Sprint. The flip design of the Style is my biggest problem with that phone, but it's such a pain that I decided to give the Torch a try. AT&T has the next closest price to Sprint that I could find, but they only have Torch and Curve (which is a step down from a Style). I'm just beginning to fear that the slide-out keyboard may be the Torch equivalent of the Style's flip which has driven me insane. I also don't like having to "lock" the touchscreen before putting the Torch into the holster. I wish Torch had the sleep magnet like other BB's.

I could wait for my Sprint upgrade but right now Sprint only has the Bold 9650.

Anyway, maybe I'll mess with the Torch some more. There are a few tweaks about it that I like--especially the calendar interface and the message options at the bottom of the screen. But I will NOT use a touchscreen keyboard. Call me old school, but that just drives me nuts.

I'll have to look for those free nav apps that were mentioned. I just can't believe that Sprint gives you a lot of stuff in their bundled apps but AT&T has higher monthly fees AND charges more for apps on top of that!
    05-27-11 09:31 PM
    Just wait until they buy tmo out.
    05-27-11 09:51 PM
    i like the torch's touch screen for navigation purposes only. instead of scrolling around with the trackpad i can just tap and be on my way...but the screen feels as if its in the way once i slide it up
    05-27-11 10:05 PM
    Few hours doesn't do justice, give it a try... It's just like any phones you need to give few days and play with it.

You did mention that you don't like touch screen; by knowing the Torch being touch I don't know why you purchased it ... Maybe that's why you are not liking the Torch?

Either way all if not most phones are going towards touch screen, so sooner or later you'll have to switch to a touch type phone
    05-27-11 10:34 PM
    It sucks plain and simple
    The torch is 80% complete IMO....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    jisingle likes this.
    05-27-11 10:52 PM
    I waited and waited for the torch. I love touch screens but other touch screen phones FAIL when it comes to texting, they cant keep up with me. I didnt expect the bb too either, BUT with the slide out keyboard i knew i was onto a winner. Icould use the touch screen for moving things, scrolling etc, but have the keyboard for emails and long text messages! However on the odd occasion i am even finding myself using the touch screen for texting lol!
    However what I am disappointed about tho is some of the other problems I have had. And i dont know if its the phone or the network.
    I often try to get onto the internet and it just says "Cant get network" or something like that, and i cant do anything online apparently, altho the signal is full and i get my emails? I also have to do many battery pulls, within the first week it had played up and required a battery pull, to which i found myself cussing it and telling it that "my old Curve was better than you and that was on an older system!" The phone doesnt respond, but I feel better for shouting at it!
    Sometimes seem to be really slow if I am texting or something and that little arrow in the corner is flashing and downloading an email or something from appworld. Boy is that frustrating!! :P
    Oh but i love having the bigger screen for browsing and watching movies!
    justineporter likes this.
    05-28-11 04:28 AM
    The bigger screen is definitely a great strength of the Torch.

And, yes, I know it sounds silly of me to have bought the Torch if I say I don't like touch screens. :-) I wanted a better BB than the Style and my thought was that with the physical keyboard and trackpad I can mostly ignore the touch screen if I prefer.

Okay, I slept on it and I'm going to give the Torch more time yet. I'm getting used to certain things already, but we'll see.

Is there any way to adjust the screen so that it doesn't rotate when you turn the phone 90 degrees?
    05-28-11 06:13 AM
    agree with jlspeed29. I'm not a happy camper.

I have continual hardware problems. (keys won't respond, screen won't respond, sound seems to hang the OS) I have to pull the battery to get it to pay attention to me. Then I have to wait for reboot.............

that's called ready for shipping? Not where I come from.

And as I hinted... this takes FOREVER to reboot but the store assures me this is fast compared to other bb. IMOH the OS is sluggish (did they ever hear of the 10 second rule - and that is 10 seconds to finish not just watch the wait cursor) And not at all happy with the camera.

I needed a phone first and wanted to be able to integrate email and some business so I could answer questions in a pinch. I'm so frustrated I haven't used the business side as much as I thought I would (who wants to fight with the hw when you are doing a favor for someone)

My daughter has an iPhone. When she first got it she was ALWAYS charging her battery and that's not for me. (She let's it run out now so it's not always on the charger.)

My son has an android based phone. His is doing OK.

I'll probably go android next because this
    05-28-11 09:48 AM
    i think i would go with an android phone next as well. i love the torch but android has a lot more and better apps.

as for att, i do not even bother going to the app store, i use the blackberry app center instead.

and the touch screen, it isnt bad but it isnt great. the reason i picked the torch is for the qwerty and because i missed blackberry after having an lg vu for a year

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-28-11 10:28 AM
    Like the OP, I came from Sprint and BB Style to AT&T and the Torch. Like the OP, I got annoyed with having to flip open the Style all the time, though I will say it was a well-made device that never caused me problems.

Sprint does give you a lot more for the money, but AT&T gives me two big things Sprint couldn't: reliable service at my house and the ability to pick and choose which lines get data/text, so I no longer have to pay for things I have no need for.

I liked the Torch right away compared to the Style (and I liked the Style). So far it is my favorite phone (and I had an Epic, Hero, Tour, etc.). The combination of touchscreen convenience for certain things, plus a compact QWERTY, which I much prefer to landscape QWERTY keyboards, has made me a happy camper.
    05-28-11 11:06 AM
    Am I missing something or don't you people who complain about the Torch try things out and do research before you buy? A couple of hours? Give me a break!

You are moving from one form factor to another, so things will feel different. So give it some time. If you are having some issues with lag or how things work, then post the specific problem here and we can help.

We can't help with your fears that a slider will be like a flip phone to you. sounds like you are having buyers remorse. If so, wait a little bit, play with the phone more, and it should disappear. Or better yet, stay with the form factor you like since it sounds like you have issues with change, even if the change is for the better.
    05-28-11 11:11 AM
    If it helps, the are sleeper magnets in torch. If you don't like the torch holster, an 8800 holster fits, and is often cheaper
    05-28-11 11:54 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD