Long story short -- my Torch went nuts today, all of a sudden not being able to make or receive calls. After some back and forth with AT&T tech support, we ascertained that it was only broke while connected to 3G; if locked on 2G/EDGE, the phone would work. TS said to go to the AT&T store and have them switch the SIM, which I did, and which seems to have solved the problem.

In the process, the guy who actually did the swap said this SIM can take advantage of AT&T's '3.5G' data speeds. Now he seemed to know what he was talking about, but anybody with half a brain can do that when I'm totally clueless about the subject matter, SIMs being one of those very subjects. So that being said, I'm wondering:

1 - Can anybody confirm that there is actually a possibility of faster wireless data speeds just by putting in a new SIM? And if so,

2 - Can anybody explain in simpleton's terms how that all works? I.e., what is the SIM's actual function in regards to data transmission?

TIA ...
    05-25-11 05:26 PM
    SIM cards just hold subscriber information and authenticates your phone on a carrier's network, it has absolutely nothing to do with data speeds
    05-25-11 05:44 PM
    SIM cards just hold subscriber information and authenticates your phone on a carrier's network, it has absolutely nothing to do with data speeds
    That's what I thought I knew about the SIM, but it's not something I've actually studied in any great depth, so I left open the possibility that there was more to it than I knew. This guy must have majored in Blowing Smoke. On the other hand, he's one of the few reps I've spoken with who actually knows about the upcoming BB phones.

Thanks for (de)confirming ...
    05-25-11 06:11 PM
    Hi there! From my point of few as a newbie, 3.5G sims can only be used with modems as a wireless broadband internet connection. I never knew if they can be used on mobile phones such as the Torch. It may, though, by using our mobile device only as an external modem. Correct me if I'm wrong. Hope this will at least give you a clue.
    05-25-11 06:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD