Howdy
    I am going on vacation (holiday) at the end of July and wish to tether my phone to my laptop. I already know that I need to set up my wireless account for tethering. What apps, if any are required and are any of them freeware? I know of one paid app, but would rather go free if I can,because free is good! Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mark Minnich

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    06-30-11 08:46 PM
    What provider are you using? (Carrier)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-30-11 09:23 PM
    All you need is a USB data cable and RIM's Desktop Manager software. Both are usually included with a new phone. Tethering is in DM's Tools menu.
    06-30-11 09:47 PM
    All you need is a USB data cable and RIM's Desktop Manager software. Both are usually included with a new phone. Tethering is in DM's Tools menu.
    ...and it works brilliantly. Simple and fast
    07-01-11 02:34 AM
    USB and DM works just fine. Or buy http://software.crackberry.com/produ...for BlackBerry. My preference is the paid app and wireless connectivity but to each his/her own.
    07-01-11 07:48 AM
    I already know that I need to set up my wireless account for tethering.
    Uh, no you don't. Well, perhaps you want to, but you don't have to. I tether via a Bluetooth DUN connection, and without having to run DM for that matter.
    07-01-11 07:48 AM
    There are two main ways to tether.

1). use the BlackBerry Desktop Manager and a USB cable. This is free and works well. You will need to upgrade your dataplan so as to include a tehereing package if you go this route.

2). Use the paid for program Tether which also work extremely well. This program fools your carrier by outputting all its traffic via the same IP port as your phone's browser. The carrier (unless the look closely at your data) will believe that it is your phone that is using the dataplan and not your PC. If you are sensible with your usage, you will not need to tell your carrier about this. Tether can use either a USB cable or blurtooth to coneect between your phone and your PC.

If you are intending to make a lot of use of the tethering fuction and your carrier will allow a month by month tethering option, I would be honest about this and sign up for a tethering package.
    07-01-11 08:05 AM
    Actually, there are three main ways -- the third one is completely free all across the board. That is setting up the Torch on your PC (connected either by USB cable or Bluetooth) to act as a modem via a simulated dial up network connection.
    07-01-11 08:35 AM
    What provider are you using? (Carrier)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

AT&T

Mark Minnich

07-01-11 08:37 AM
    AT&T

Mark Minnich

It says its for the Bold, but it's the same deal for the Torch, so this thread will help (though there are some possible wrinkles that might require you to read all of it).

http://forums.crackberry.com/f83/bla...ervice-139863/
    07-01-11 09:14 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD