You have GOT to be kidding me, RIM. I upgrade to a 16GB microSD card, and when I insert it into my Torch to format it, the 4GB onboard memory gets wiped too?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!!
    09-08-10 09:48 AM
    Odd, because there is a second, separate option to format the onboard memory. And this memory was formatted even though you only selected Media Card? Maybe the fact they mangled the spelling of the second option -- spelling it "Buit-in Media" -- should have been a tip off.

I'm glad when I got my new SD card for the Torch, I just proceeded as if I wouldn't need to format it -- and I didn't.
    Last edited by JasW; 09-08-10 at 10:25 AM.
    09-08-10 10:23 AM
    When I inserted it, it automatically formatted both memory locations. I didn't do a darn thing.
    09-08-10 10:27 AM
    it formatted both right when u inserted it? weird. I've been switching between two sd cards and nothing has happened.

I'll take a look in a bit and see what my phone does as I dont use one of my cards anyway.
    09-08-10 10:30 AM
    You have GOT to be kidding me, RIM. I upgrade to a 16GB microSD card, and when I insert it into my Torch to format it, the 4GB onboard memory gets wiped too?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!!!!!
    So what are the implications of it wiping your onboard memory? (What do you lose when it does this?)

Sorry to hear of your loss.
    09-08-10 10:35 AM
    When I inserted it, it automatically formatted both memory locations. I didn't do a darn thing.
    Hmm. It shouldn't automatically format anything. Sounds like there was a formatting problem with the card and the Torch somehow reacted by formatting both the card and the built-in memory. Was this a SanDisk or similar manufacturer's card, or was it a no-name such as you find on Ebay?
    09-08-10 10:38 AM
    So what are the implications of it wiping your onboard memory? (What do you lose when it does this?)

anything you had stored there - pictures, ringtones, media files, etc. I purposely moved my stuff I wanted to keep to that location cuz I knew when I inserted my new mSD card, it would get formatted. But I did not know both locations would do that.
    09-08-10 10:38 AM

If he'd been using the Torch without a card for a while, all pics, videos, and any music he had would have been there. But since the Torch comes with a 4GB card there should be no great loss (unless he said no when it first asked him whether to save pics or videos to the stock card).

anything you had stored there - pictures, ringtones, media files, etc. I purposely moved my stuff I wanted to keep to that location cuz I knew when I inserted my new mSD card, it would get formatted. But I did not know both locations would do that.
    Well, there we are. Might have been easier to just keep it on the stock card. Sorry, bro . . . .
    09-08-10 10:40 AM
    Hmm. It shouldn't automatically format anything. Sounds like there was a formatting problem with the card and the Torch somehow reacted by formatting both the card and the built-in memory. Was this a SanDisk or similar manufacturer's card, or was it a no-name such as you find on Ebay?
    SanDisk. So not a no name card.

I had been using the card that came with the phone, but had transferred everything I wanted to keep to the 4GB built in memory - ringtones, wallpapers, pictures, etc. via windows explorer.

The mSD card came straight out of the retail package, and into the phone, and then bam, the phone formatted both memory locations automatically.
    09-08-10 10:52 AM
    I guess I'm glad that I copied the contents of my 4GB card to my PC hard drive prior to swapping it for a 16GB card yesterday, rather than copying it to the internal memory. I'm lucky that I didn't even think of copying it to the internal memory. Otherwise, I probably would have done so.
    09-08-10 11:43 AM
    All of my music and videos were already on the PC and, with the exception of pictures taken with my old BB, I didn't copy anything from my old 16GB card -- I just stuck in a new, empty 32GB card into the Torch so I could sync the music from iTunes on my PC via DM 6. (When I originally synced the 16GB card way back when, only DM 4.6 was out, which used that awful Roxio media manager to sync. It took freakin' forever.)

In any event, if what I had on my old card weren't on my PC, I would have put it there first precisely to take advantage of syncing in DM 6.

I take it, Brigadier, that none of your stuff was ever on the PC? Surely the media files had to have originally come from the PC, though, no?
    09-08-10 01:07 PM
    Yes, most of it was on the PC and can be reloaded. But that is not the point.
    09-08-10 01:22 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD