I have been using a Torch 9800 since shortly after it was released. I've been using Blackberries for over 5 years now, but I'm gradually losing faith in RIM. Every so often I visit Crackberry.com and check out the 9800 forum to see what's new, often hoping for a big software update.

Each time I'm saddened to see users clamoring over tiny little incremental updates: 6.0.0.XXXXXXXXX, now your dialing doesn't pause or you can swipe to another picture without having to scroll in a circle or something equally as miniscule.

This is an OS that has been out for what, nearly 2 years now? And it has yet to even reach 6.1? Is it too much to ask to even give small updates like editable home screens like the later OS's have or an updated touch keyboard auto-correct dictionary that's worth a damn? (Seriously iPhone and Android know how to do this, why can't RIM; I'm always correcting the phone, IF I even enable auto-correct or predictive).

Even OS 4 got up to what, 4.5? It's shameful how RIM leaves its users left behind.

What I've read about the new dev devices sounds promising: Android apps and internet options without BIS. These things alone could help put them on par with other smartphones, but the latter is something that should have been done several years ago.

I've gone from being a Blackberry loyalist to feeling so disappointed in them. It's like a relationship where you keep hoping the other person will give you more than what they have been, and you keep hanging on thinking of how good they used to be.

Frankly, when I get my next phone, chances are slim to none it will be Blackberry. I've gone from loving this company to feeling that if their market share keeps slipping and they fail, they may be just getting what they deserve. They've ignored consumer needs for too long and have been far to slow to change.

So, consider this a breakup, RIM. It's not me, it's you.
    05-17-12 07:47 PM
    It's never good to stay in an abusive relationship (perceived or real).

I hope you will enjoy your next phone.
    05-17-12 08:16 PM
    Run, run like the wind. Fast and far.
    anon(4021844) and dee. like this.
    05-17-12 08:21 PM
    I so feel the pain, but I understand where you're coming from. Just enjoy your next phone and who knows you may be back when BB10 is launched!
    05-17-12 11:25 PM
    We were going to get 6.1 almost a year ago. But then RIM decided to move it all to new hardware, bump it to 7.0, and we got dumped like a bad date.

As much as I would like to get some of the new ui features that we were supposed to get, I've resigned myself to the fact that we are done for.

I really believe that RIM has only one programmer left working on any OS 6 builds now in some deep dark corner of the company. I haven't seen any builds even tested in the wild beyond the last official build available - .723, now several months old. Although it is a good build. AT&T is still at .600 which is almost a year old now - and not a particularly good build either.

The only good thing is that my contract is up in December. I should know by then how the BB10 devices are doing, and if it's worth upgrading to.
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    05-17-12 11:51 PM
    I really believe that RIM has only one programmer left working on any OS 6 builds now in some deep dark corner of the company.

Some dark corner

I think hes in a basement across the street.

Totally agree with the first post. OS6 users are left in the dust...and to dust we shall return.
    05-18-12 12:10 PM
    RIM recently stated that they have a team of a few hundred in Raleigh, NC who will continue to develop the BB 7 OS.
    05-18-12 12:47 PM
    Im sorry you feel that way, but it is an older device with an older OS. You can't expect them to support things that are years old from a business perspective. It just sounds like you need an upgrade.. To BB10.

Believe me, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Surely the newest Android or Apple devices will out feature your phone. What do you expect?

Android devices from 2 years ago will mostly not be able to run the newest, full featred 4.0 software.

Apple pretty much wants you to upgrade your device year after year if you want to run the latest os anywhere as smoothly as it is on your torch.

I feel your pain, but thats why carriers offer you upgrades. 2 year old devices will never live up to the newest devices of today.
    05-18-12 01:17 PM
    But the 9800 was not even a year old when RIM basically dumped it outright. Even right now, it's still less than two years old.

Even Apple supports their devices longer than that.

Remember that when RIM first started showing off 6.1, it only had UI enhancements that 6.0 users had been asking for since it came out. Customizing the homescreen panels being the number one wish from the start (and don't talk about themes - I've been over that many times on how none really work). And there were a few other user enhancements as well. None of which required new hardware (something else I've been over a dozen times before too).

Once the new phones were developed, that's when RIM decided to port 6.1 over and develop to the new hardware, call it 7, and leaving us with mere 8 month old phones in the dust.
    05-18-12 06:11 PM
    I'm going to a lumia 900 or a titan 2, RIM don't cut it for me nomore
    05-18-12 06:47 PM
    Still using my 9800 with my 2 PlayBooks & it still works perfectly. I have all the apps I need on it (around 30-35), the phone reception is perfect, the audio player with 600+ tunes gets me by while traveling & cruising in my car, the altered ATT bridge works on my PB's exactly the way it supposed to, my e-mails arrive on time, no complaints....I'm content until the BB10's come out - saving my upgrade for that day!!!
    Harryl6134 likes this.
    05-18-12 07:54 PM
    I feel your pain OP, I'm just glad I like BlackBerry or else I would probably fall under the same smartphone confusion,,,,, thinking the grass is greener on the other side and that other smartphones don't have their problems as well. Good luck with your new device. May it serve you well without problems.
    05-18-12 08:16 PM
    I'm sure though that things will get better with BB10
    05-19-12 12:43 AM
    BB are not alone in the dumping of phones b4 there life! I own a Dell streak and Dell droppedt that after one update!

If it wasn't for the fact that it has a loyal fan base it would be dead in the water totaly by now

My 9800 contact has quite some time left at the moment so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do ko keep us loyal BB fans or are they going to stick with the youth market lol.

In the mean time I'm buying a playbook to keep my gadget addiction happy lol
    05-19-12 02:10 AM
    BB are not alone in the dumping of phones b4 there life! I own a Dell streak and Dell droppedt that after one update!

If it wasn't for the fact that it has a loyal fan base it would be dead in the water totaly by now

My 9800 contact has quite some time left at the moment so I'm looking forward to seeing what they do ko keep us loyal BB fans or are they going to stick with the youth market lol.

In the mean time I'm buying a playbook to keep my gadget addiction happy lol
    haha, the playbook is such a great buy at a great price!
    05-19-12 09:46 AM
    I agree, you guys...its not like you're back on old Nokia beeper phones...its only been 2 years like said above...they should give you guys some support. My other half has a 9800 and I check this forum for him sometimes, I'm speaking on behalf of him, hes getting a little pizzy now because there isn't more support for a phone that he JUST got a little over a year ago. Blackberry didn't spend a heck of a lot of time on OS6. Seems like they wanted to get away, quickly...strange, huh?
    05-23-12 02:36 PM
    I have been a BlackBerry user and fan since I got a 7230 many years ago.

Until recently I had a 9700 that I bought new at full price. A month or two back it failed, 7 days out of warranty. I went and got an iPhone. Like many here I was fed up with RIM's slow product delivery, the lack of new and advanced features and, not enough apps.

I kept the iPhone for a month and ditched it. I now have a 9810 and love it.

The iPhone was really slick but it was a pain to use. EVERYTHING had to be done Apple's way. The apps, whilst plentiful had few customization options. There was no Auto On/Off, battery life sucked compared to the 2 days I got with the 9700. All my apps had to be downloaded from that horrid iTunes software.

In short, what I really want RIM to do is to just get on with their new products. Jeez, other companies all do it. Why are they so slow?
    05-23-12 03:07 PM
    I guess it sucks we haven't had the support but Ive used far nastier phones in the past lol I just hope the don't mess up blackberry 10 cos it sounds like most of us will end up there lol

On a plus note the playbook works great with my 9800
    05-24-12 01:05 PM
    I too wish that RIM would have shown more love for us 9800 users. However, they can make it up by having flawless execution with BB10. Just release it as soon as possible and make it awesome. That will keep me using BlackBerry.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800
    05-25-12 06:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD