I have a Blackberry Torch. I Upgraded from a 9700. I had a 8520 & Bold 9000 before that. The BB Browser is very poor (to State the obvious) but as the Browser is not essential to me it was enough to get by on.

Then for one reason or another i started to depend on the browser a little bit more in my day to day mobile life so i bought an iPhone just to use for Browser, Games and Videos for when im working 16 hour night shifts.

I love BB for my day to day organisation, Email,memopad, Doc to go, sheet to go, notifications etc etc so switching full time to an iPhone is a no go i just need it as a miny iPad 3g if you will.

So when the Torch came out & Talk of Webkit Browser i got excited at the thought of no longer carrying two phones & downgrading the iPhone back to an iPod Touch & getting a bit of cash back too.

I love the Torch even though OS 6.0.0.246 is full of bugs & VERY unstable (in My Experience) The Web Kit Browser is S*** & so overated FULL STOP
    12-13-10 03:38 PM
    Overrated by who? Overrated by the standard you set yourself?

I don't see anyone really hyping the browser as incredibly amazing or top end in the first place...

Far and beyond better than it was is not overrated, it's true.
    Pilot Prop likes this.
    12-13-10 03:39 PM
    Sorry to hear that. Have no issues with the brower what so ever

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 04:19 PM
    Sorry you're having issues. My browser works great!

12-13-10 04:22 PM
    This browser on the 9800 is def a step up from the other BB models, and Ive had almost every GSM BB produced. It's not perfect, but RIM has made strides with this one.
    12-13-10 04:30 PM
    I love the Torch even though OS 6.0.0.246 is full of bugs & VERY unstable (in My Experience) The Web Kit Browser is S*** & so overated FULL STOP
    Sounds to me like you need to reinstall .246 or upgrade to .337 (or wait and hopefully a .4** will leak for the 9800 soon).

I would hardly call the webkit browser an expletive, though it's not the best mobile browser out there...and .246 is not unstable at all.
    12-13-10 04:45 PM
    This is quoted from knowyourcell.com where the writer compares the torch and iphone. This was back in August and probably even before the update.

"Browser
    The iPhone 4's Safari browser was certainly the best on a smartphone up to now, but the BlackBerry Torch 9800's WebKit browser beats the iPhone's. Firstly, it supports tabbed browsing. Sure, you can access multiple pages on the Safari browser, but it's not as smooth when switching between tabs.

The browser also uses your text size preferences to resize text within the browser, ensuring it's always the size you want it to be. The BlackBerry WebKit browser also renders websites much better than the previous browser, finally!

Winner: BlackBerry Torch"
    12-13-10 06:10 PM
    This is quoted from knowyourcell.com where the writer compares the torch and iphone. This was back in August and probably even before the update.

"Browser
    The iPhone 4's Safari browser was certainly the best on a smartphone up to now, but the BlackBerry Torch 9800's WebKit browser beats the iPhone's. Firstly, it supports tabbed browsing. Sure, you can access multiple pages on the Safari browser, but it's not as smooth when switching between tabs.

The browser also uses your text size preferences to resize text within the browser, ensuring it's always the size you want it to be. The BlackBerry WebKit browser also renders websites much better than the previous browser, finally!

Winner: BlackBerry Torch"
    The webkit browser is much better than previous BB browsers and a huge step in the right direction...but it's definitely still a notch behind the iPhone browser.

At least it competes now.
    12-13-10 07:08 PM
    ^^ Problem is there's no real way to tell because of hardware differences.

The iphone is using a much better cpu and gpu, while the torch has a much lower cpu and no gpu.

The browser itself might actually render better but you could never tell whether it does or not.
    12-13-10 07:11 PM
    ^^^agree .....might be twice as fast as the I p and android if it had the same processing speed .......

but its really not that much slower .....

can't have it all I guess

12-13-10 09:26 PM
    Webkit is awesome

12-13-10 11:02 PM
    Webkit is good for a BB browser
    12-13-10 11:08 PM
    The browsing experience is superb on the Torch: not only is the browser faster, but you also have access to many other perks.
    The trackpad cursor (as I mentioned in another thread) is a godsend for clicking on links without zooming in. Most websites are designed for a mouse cursor, after all.
    Another perk are the keyboard shortcuts. "W" is a huge time-saver that stops me from having to reach for the top of the screen or go through the menu.
    Then there's the accelerometer-locking function of the slide-out keyboard. I do a lot of surfing in bed to help put me to sleep, and this helps a lot.
    Lastly, although this affects people in different ways, the Torch browser is more data efficient, as everything is compressed by RIM's servers before being sent to the phone. This unfortunately results in lower quality images, so like I said, it affects people in different ways. Some people won't mind, some won't notice, and some will care.

12-14-10 12:14 AM
    I agree the browsing experience is superb on the Torch, upped from a Curver 8310....8900 and the Torch functions of double tap to zoom in is great when I surf my BBW sites...and some legit websites also....lol
    12-14-10 08:42 AM
    if you compare it with os 5.0 browser, it's like day and night. Is blackberry have the best browser? I'm sure there is and will be better one, but did they do a good job with their browser compare to what we had ? oh yeah!

a lot of user were complaining about the old browser, and a lot of them(not all) are now happy with the new browser. I think that's the main reason why RIM upgraded their browser, to satisfy their customer, not to get customer from other smartphone.
    12-14-10 08:54 AM
    I've used the web browser on iphones and android devices...and I must say I like using the webkit browser on the Torch more than the other two(not just because I'm a BB user). I wouldn't say its the "best" browser but its no where near as bad as you are trying to make it seem(IMO)...
    12-14-10 09:51 AM
    Yeah Webkit is definitely an improvement on past BB Browsers without doubt. And the Browsing experience is so much better on the Torches touch screen. But accessing full sites on Ebay, Facebook etc dies prove to be a pain. I still think that like a few things on the Torch ie Processor, Screen, Camera etc its still lagging behind other phones & this is the Best RIM have on offer.

12-14-10 10:00 AM
    Using the web browser on the Torch side by side with my HTC DZ..their is a big difference in speed and quality of the two..with the Torch being the lesser. However, for functionality, the Torch wins this hands down. Being able to use browser shortcut keys, along with the tabbed browsing makes it a much nicer experience for navigating on the Torch. There can be only a few reasons why the browser is slower on the Torch in comparison, and that is either the processor, the fact that everything is going thru RIM's server, or a combination. I wish there was an option to bypass RIM's server as far as internet goes. I mean..if i'm using this phone as a consumer, without needing BES or company lockdown..then I should have the choice as to whether I want the added security of RIM's server, or the added speed with bypassing it. If it is RIM's server that's slowing down the overall browsing experience, then I guess it won't matter if we get 1Ghz + processors in the future, as we'll still get bottlenecked on RIM's end.
    12-14-10 10:21 AM
    Webs**t Browser more like
    I see what you did there.
    12-14-10 10:59 AM
    Yeah I suppose there's a plus & a minus side to the BB server. When I first started using the iPhone Internet over 3G I thought the pay as you go bundle I got was ok because my monthly BB usage was only about 250mb a month & I'm constantly on Facebook & Twitter plus Email, but iPhone just swallows up data so I guess the server thing can work both ways. I'm still gonna stick with both though but the BB will always be my main phone.

12-20-10 03:20 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD