Hi all,

I have a question. I use my torch 9800 and the OEM swivel clip leather BB holster (Bought from Crackberry.com!!) and I have noticed a problem with it. Sometimes, as I go to slide the phone inside the case I accidentally hit the network connections bar at the top of the screen, and on more than a few occasions I've shut my radio off. Not good!

Anyone know if there is a way of disabling this? I try to remember to lock my Torch everytime I throw it in the case but sometimes I forget or can't do it for whatever reason.

Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks!
    11-23-10 11:20 AM
    I wish there was a way to do it! Ive tried everything I could think of, even making a custom theme, none worked.
    11-23-10 11:22 AM
    I won't give up either my berry or my holster as I need both to keep organized so I'll have to stick with it, but it would be great if RIM could make that homescreen shortcut an option, or like you had to press both sides kind of like you have to do to get the homescreen help me shortcut.
    11-23-10 11:43 AM
    using a different theme, not all of theme control the network settings on the top of the screen.
    11-23-10 12:00 PM
    This happened to me all the time and drove me up the wall. I ended up getting one of those pattern lock apps so when I took it out of the holster, I would have to unlock the device to be able to use it.

The downside is the extra step to start using the phone but if you keep your pattern simple (say just a swipe across), it wasn't too bad.

You could also try changing the sensitivity of the touch screen but that would affect all your other uses as well.
    11-23-10 12:02 PM
    I have pattern lock already installed, but it's a pain to use, I don't like the extra step. Bad enough I have to enter a password, but I want my data to stay mine and not become public domain!

I thought about adjusting the touch sensitivity but I like it how it is now, just not that particular portion of the screen.
    11-23-10 12:15 PM
    This is something that should be able to be turned off or at the very least delegated to a double click (press) function to activate.

I've turned my radio off without realizing it numerous times!!!

Bad RIM.
    11-23-10 09:12 PM
    there is a option Radio ON/OFF.i just use that to turn the network off.
    11-24-10 02:07 AM
    Any update on how to disable the shortcut? I keep accidentaly turning my radio off and this is getting really annoying.

A previous poster said that if I change the theme to a different one, it may work...any idea which theme?

Thanks!
    12-04-10 12:13 PM
    Any update on how to disable the shortcut? I keep accidentaly turning my radio off and this is getting really annoying.

A previous poster said that if I change the theme to a different one, it may work...any idea which theme?

Thanks!
    Look in the theme section, there are plenty of themes that have removed this shortcut altogether.
    12-04-10 05:03 PM
    This was an issue from day 1 with the phone, remember reading about it several times in this forum. Once TB6 beta came out, that was the first thing most themers did was try to get rid of that. Now most theme's that do away with the stock UI don't even have that option in the theme. Only way to shut off your radio is clicking "manage connections" icon.
    12-04-10 07:53 PM
    This thread isn't about turning the radio on or off, it's about the manage connections shortcut bar at the top of the screen that is too easily activated and therefore things can end up being turned on or off accidentally. And as I already stated, there is no way to disable this shortcut in the stock theme, it can be removed altogether in a custom theme, but the drawback is that all custom themes have other bugs or issues due to the limitations of the theme builder software.
    12-06-10 08:47 AM
    Yeah, the worst design feature with my Torch is the ability to turn the Network Connection on and off every time I touch the thing. How goofy was that to put the shortcut in a place so accessible by accident?

The only option there I need is the Bluetooth control but it is easy to find with the Options menu.

Is there not an Einstein amongst us that can fix this?
    12-10-10 10:15 AM
    The solution has been provided. Use a different theme. There are modified stock themes over in the THEME section.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-10-10 10:36 AM
    Haha, way to actually read the thread

12-10-10 10:40 AM
    The solution has been provided. Use a different theme. There are modified stock themes over in the THEME section.

Yep, there are and I appreciate the reply but the description of most of the themes talk way over a newbie's head. I scrolled through pages of them and not one listed the Manage Connections was hidden on the home screen. I'd rather not have to buy a dozen or so to try it out.

I'll just keep researching until someone posts a name of a theme that does what we want!
    12-10-10 04:35 PM
    The will not say that directly as far as it being omitted but most do indicate what the hotspots do like open the clock etc...

I would say view them on a PC so you can see the pics of each theme.

You could just find one you like and give it a try. Worst cast is to just remove it from app management. Most have a battery pull disclaimer as well. Be sure to do that when installing themes.

12-10-10 05:03 PM
    Yep, there are and I appreciate the reply but the description of most of the themes talk way over a newbie's head. I scrolled through pages of them and not one listed the Manage Connections was hidden on the home screen. I'd rather not have to buy a dozen or so to try it out.

I'll just keep researching until someone posts a name of a theme that does what we want!
    Try this one, it is called Love4Wall. No banner.

http://www.karen.cz.cc/98xx/Love4Wal..._Love4Wall.jad
    NetworkGuy likes this.
    12-12-10 04:21 PM
    Hey, thanks a bunch for that theme. I really like the fact it does not have the Favorites, Downloads, Frequent, etc. I always wished there was a way to only show ALL the icons and this fixed that!

On the home screen (the one without all the icons showing) I can tap or hover my finger ABOVE the 3G and signal strength meter (it is actually way up in the top right corner), the Manage Connections screen still comes up but it is actually pretty hard to do and should not be so accessible with a simple touch or picking the phone up.

Thank you SlcCorrado!
    12-12-10 07:25 PM
    Feel free to click the thanks button
    BB2XS likes this.
    12-12-10 09:53 PM
    Yes! Jesus, this problem is so annoying... I missed going on an impromptu roadtrip with my friends today because my ******* connections were all turned off for an hour....

This is really annoying. It is such a major design flaw to be able to accidentally turn off all of your radio connections so easily!

Jesus CHRIST!
    11-05-11 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD