@Totalimmortal363: not sure what your beef with Best Buy is, but as an employee I know that the company DOES support manufacturer warranties with a valid proof of purchase. Also, the service plan is definitely a good idea. It is 10$/month, goes for 2 years, and covers ANYTHING happening to the hardware including accidental physical damage. This does fall under common sense, so abuse (submersion in liquid, running over with your car, etc.) is not covered, but pretty much everything else is. Also, with BlackBerrys, the phone is exchanged IN STORE, no deductibles, no hidden fees, no questions asked, and no sending the phone out. IMHO thats probably the best service plan I've ever heard of, have had it on every Berry I've ever ownde, and have used it multiple times with no issues. Anything you hear different form this is from someone who doesn't know what they're talking about. Whether it is innocent or deliberate ignorance, please don't speak to something you truly don't know about.
    I used to work for Best Buy, I know exactly how it works. There are things that it's worth getting it on, others that it is not.
    08-26-10 04:45 PM
    i thought the Bestbuy warranty included liquids?
    08-26-10 06:01 PM
    @mark it includes spills, but leaving your phone in your pocket when you go swimming is considered abuse by just about every company on the planet, so submersion in liquid is not covered. I once spilled coffee on my 9000, it stopped working, I took it into the store and it got exchanged no problem. Just don't drop your 'Berry in a toilet ><
    08-26-10 10:33 PM
    @mark it includes spills, but leaving your phone in your pocket when you go swimming is considered abuse by just about every company on the planet, so submersion in liquid is not covered. I once spilled coffee on my 9000, it stopped working, I took it into the store and it got exchanged no problem. Just don't drop your 'Berry in a toilet ><
    wow! thanks for that info..
    i wish the best buy rep was as detailed as you are when offering the black tie protection..
    08-27-10 09:29 AM
    @mark haha I am (seeing as I happen to be a Geek Squad Agent) - and I find it hard to swallow that some people care so little about their jobs that they choose to be so dense when speaking to customers. After all - look what happened to Circuit and Comp - their customer service sucked so they tanked. Most BBY employees love what they do but as in any retail company there are some who could be weeded out for the good of everyone involved ><
    08-27-10 12:57 PM
    So we are back to the beginning. I bought a Torch from Best Buy. I am not an ATT customer. I bought it off contract, as I am a TMobile customer. How do I obtain service after my 30-day return period from Best Buy has lapsed.
    You would contact Research In Motion, pay to ship device to them, pay to have device shipped back, pay for repair work if not under warranty. Pretty simple actually.
    08-27-10 01:44 PM
    You would contact Research In Motion, pay to ship device to them, pay to have device shipped back, pay for repair work if not under warranty. Pretty simple actually.
    That is true: simple it is. But also ridiculously expensive.

Going through RIM and have them acknowledge a warranty claim was (at least for me) impossible if the device was not purchased at ATT. The cost for a very simple repair exceeded that of the phones value.
    Last edited by MrTW; 08-27-10 at 07:05 PM.
    08-27-10 04:11 PM
    As long as the phone is less than a year old AT&T will service it as it has their branding on it. If it wasn't purchased on an AT&T account you will need to provide proof of purchase date, ie Best Buy receipt, ebay receipt, etc. Beyond a certain timeframe within a year AT&T will most likely swap with a refurbished unit.
    08-27-10 08:55 PM
33 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD