So what happens if I buy a at&t 9800, unlock it and use it in canada?

Do I have no warranty?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-10 08:50 PM
    Yes. For 30 days you can exchange it in the store of purchase etc. After that you would not have warranty exchange via AT&T so the remainder of the warranty would be with RIM.

The same would apply for anyone using a Torch that is not an AT&T subscriber.

09-23-10 09:31 PM
    im not 100% sure but rim does not warrant their phones directly. i believe you have to go through the carrier. so since urs is at&t and you dont have at&t account you will have no warranty in canada
    09-23-10 10:42 PM
    sadly the carrier is the one who warrants the device so if you're not using AT&T you will not have a warranty
    09-23-10 10:56 PM
    Yes. For 30 days you can exchange it in the store of purchase etc. After that you would not have warranty exchange via AT&T so the remainder of the warranty would be with RIM.

The same would apply for anyone using a Torch that is not an AT&T subscriber.

Once you Cross the boarder with the phone, it voids the Warranty

as AT&T they do not have to give Warranty once it has been activated on a Canadian Network, and RIM also does not need to provide any Warranty

it is a RISK us Canadians must be willing to take if we shop in the US, as a Manufacturer myself, I know what I do not provide Warranty for my products with end users purchasing from the US, the must attempt to get Warranty in the US, and have a US address to use for the Warranty paperwork
    09-23-10 11:08 PM
    Someone posted here that they called RIM to register their PIN and they were covered.

I would give them a call to verify this.
    09-23-10 11:52 PM
    i thought they wanted money before you can speak to someone?
    09-24-10 12:29 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD