I am going thru the forum here...and I am reading so much stuff that it is all turning to jibberish on me...sounds stupid I know...for example...Allllll the OS threads...how do I know what to get? Will my phone not come from Best Buy (where I will get it) with everything I already need?..I am on Att...In the states...have an 8520 and I have never even attempted a smidge of what I am reading here...I like the email and the addy book...twitter...etc...want to look into getting the "tether" app as I work on the road 8 months out of the yr or so...Is it more trouble than its worth to upgrade to it? I am not an "uber-berry" user like some...I just like it and the things that I can do with it...word excel...etc...and can I use the screen protectors with the innocase surface?...If someone would list the threads that I should read that would be great and that way this doesnt become an eternal thread lol...thanks...len
    03-07-11 02:10 AM
    Go for it the. Latest is torch or bold 9780 u read up on all on here u click on which one u choose and download the latest os you will suss that out easy enuff,how to download loads of info on here for that too trust me part of the fun is doing it all njoy. Any probs just shout an Plenty of advice will be shared

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-07-11 02:31 AM
    I love my torch. Very few issues with it if any. I came from a 9700 and never looked back. I like to think of myself as a business man on account of me having my own business and I use it all day long to communicate. Batt last a while. Only advice I would really give you is maybe wait for the torch 2. But otherwise I love this thing

03-07-11 02:46 AM
    I'd say go for it, the Torch is a great device. I came from a Bold 9000 and absolutely loved that device, however I personally like the Torch more, aside from the keyboard.

Some people have their gripes about the UI, more specifically the application tabs, however there are now plenty of themes out there that should suite most to remedy any concerns here.

As for operating systems, no, your device from Best Buy will have an outdated OS and you'll want to update it right away. This process is really quite simple and doesn't take much time at all. Just search for topics on OS update how-to's and you'll be set for the rest of your time on a BlackBerry device, the learning curve is relatively flat.

03-07-11 04:01 AM
    K. Tyvm. Any thoughts about the screen protector and the innocase surface and whether I'd be able to use both? Len

03-07-11 05:25 AM
    I adore my Torch. I came from the iPhone 3G and before that I had a Pearl 8100. I looove the Torch and can't imagine ever leaving BlackBerry.

I would highly recommend you upgrade your OS to .448 or .450 when you get it, as the OS that comes on the Torch out of the box has some issues. Battery life is significantly improved with the latest OSs. I'm not an extremely techy person myself and I was able to upgrade to .337 and .450 without any issues. Just read the steps and go slow and you'll be fine.

As far as cases go, I just use the magnetic leather pouch for when my Torch is in my purse so it doesn't get banged up by keys and whatnot. Other than that, my Torch remains naked and is still in pristine condition and remains very solid.

Have fun! Welcome to the forums.
    03-07-11 08:45 AM
    K. Tyvm. Any thoughts about the screen protector and the innocase surface and whether I'd be able to use both? Len
    I don't believe a screen protector will interfere with a case. That is not a real issue.

The real issue may be the proximity detector. I you have trouble with your phone not working correctly with the device up to your ear cut a piece out over the proximity detector. Or use a different screen protector.

The 9800 is a wonderful device. Once you have the phone in hand spend some days finding your way around the device. Read BB101 here after you are somewhat comfortable with the device. BlackBerry Help | CrackBerry.com

Once you are ready install a new OS. The one you get will come with .246. Not good enough for long term. Try .448 or .450. Both are good and installation is easy. Instructions in BB101 are good for a first timer.

BB is a wonderful experience for those who like to control their phone. Great devices, too, for those who just want the thing to work. Enjoy.
    03-07-11 08:55 AM
    The Torch is the best blackberry in the market period, all blackberry will have gliches here in there but over all the torch is the best I have mine since October last year and i have not encounter any issue whatsover , i love it 100 % people who has issues with it i think we should look at the carrier, for me is Rogers as much as I hate them they still number 1 in canada don't care what other people say !!

My two cents !!
    03-07-11 08:55 AM
    Get the torch, I keep mine updated use it all the time. I keep it upto date, I got 15 movies on it, I got the 32gb card, and I love this thing. Yesterday I got a new tv because my 8 year old tv decided to die, the one I got has a usb connection and I can play my movies in high quality. The downside is you gotta keep the amount of open apps to a low like 8 but I constantly close and keep the min on it.

03-07-11 09:01 AM
    the torch is the reason why I started developing on blackberry
    03-07-11 09:04 AM
    so I dont have to dload the one for AT & T then? is that what I am understanding...picking up my torch tomorrow...want to get it all lined out tomorrow nite...ATT says 695 is latest or something like that...all help greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...len

on the rim site btw
    03-12-11 03:25 AM
    so I dont have to dload the one for AT & T then? is that what I am understanding...picking up my torch tomorrow...want to get it all lined out tomorrow nite...ATT says 695 is latest or something like that...all help greatly appreciated...thanks in advance...len

on the rim site btw
    Check out this thread: http://forums.crackberry.com/f95/lea...ndings-593772/. .486 is the latest leak, and this thread has all the info you'll need on where to download it and how to install it using the Loader app instead of DM. This OS is as stable as any 'official' version, it just hasn't been verified by AT&T yet. It fixes several bugs and generally wakes this phone up.

Good luck with the new purchase, and be sure to check back in to let us know how you like it!

Len___T likes this.
    03-12-11 03:48 AM

on the rim site btw
    No, you don't have to get the one specifically for your carrier. Some may be branded with a specific carrier's name, but all that signifies is which carrier tested and released the OS to their customers. That does not mean that carrier's customers are the only one's that can install it though.

RIM's OS updates are carrier independent. For example, Three UK tested and released build 6.0.0.448 to their customers recently. I can download this updated OS for my Torch on Rogers in Canada and it will be exactly the same as if I was a Three UK customer, or on AT&T in the United States, or anywhere else in the world.
    03-12-11 03:59 AM
    Coming from a 8520 I would not think to much on getting on the torch I love this ******* phone.

Just upgrade the os to 448, 450 or the new os 486 and this **** will fly.

03-12-11 07:31 AM
    go get the Torch, most people don't have the problems that you're reading here.
    this is a Tech Forum and a lot of members, having above average know how with regards to phones, tend to make things complicated.. or at least sound complicated.
    an average BB user wouldn't know he difference of an official, leaked and hybrid OS.

So, in short, enjoy your device.. if within 30 days you don't feel like keeping it, then you can return it and pick another smartphone. that's as simple as it can be
    03-12-11 09:07 AM
    Coming from an optimised Curve 8520 to an unoptimised Torch 9800, I can say that the different is night and day. Minus the battery life, it is the phone to have.
    03-12-11 09:26 AM
    downloading 448 now...picked up my torch today...still gotta get used to the touch screen but i'll get t lol...len
    03-12-11 08:49 PM
    I don't believe a screen protector will interfere with a case. That is not a real issue.
    It doesn't. I have both.
    03-12-11 09:18 PM
    ^ I have had my Torch almost 6 months and it doesn't have a single scratch on the screen, bezel or back. I put it in my pockets and car cup holder.
    Unless you work in construction, you don't need a case or screen protector (on the glass screen) unless you simply want one. Just an observation/opinion.
    03-12-11 10:09 PM
    well...i finally got it uploaded...since im still a BB ubern0ob even tho ive had one for 2 yrs I dont know if it will be very noticeable to me since i picked it up today...thanks for the help...len
    03-13-11 01:13 AM
    yep, go with the .486 fastest yet
    03-15-11 02:58 PM
    Len,

I provided the following "simplified" version of the os6 upgrade procedure to my nephew who is relatively unsophisticated in computer stuff and he had no problems upgrading his new Torch this morning to .486:

1. Plug your phone into your desktop or laptop using the supplied usb cord. Use the BB Desktop Software 6.0 (“DS”) to make a backup of your device. If DS is not already installed on your computer, you can download it here:
    BlackBerry - Desktop Software - Canada

2. Close DS.

3. Make sure you go into BBM and register one of your email addresses to be used for a remote backup in case the main backup misses them (hey, it can happen). Inside BBM, select options from the menu, scroll down most of the way to find the heading “Backup Management”. Touch “Backup”, then select “Back up files remotely”. Your email addresses should appear there in a list and you can check or uncheck them so you know which one(s) will be used for this purpose. The system will send a message to your BB to confirm this has been done. Inside the BBM backup options, it will show your email address as "registered".

4. Download the os6 install file here: Update Your Blackberry.com - Download OS 6.0.0.486 9800
    (make sure you know which folder you are downloading to!)

5. Look in your download folder and double click on the “UYBB9800_6486.exe” file that you just downloaded and let Windows install it.

6. Open windows explorer and go to this folder:
    for 32 bit windows systems:
    C:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader\
    for 64 bit windows systems:
    C:\program files (86)\common files\research in motion\apploader\

Inside that folder, find a file named “vendor.xml” (if it's there) and delete it.

7. From the same folder, find the file “loader.exe” and double-click on it and follow the instructions - make sure you look closely at the list of items (languages, apps etc.) that have or do not have check marks next to them. Make sure the ones you want on your phone are marked with a checkmark and the ones you don’t want on your phone are unchecked. By doing this, you make sure that the install procedure installs the items you want and doesn't install the ones you don't want.

8. When the popup asks if it should make a backup of your device and restore your 3rd party apps, it should be selected to do it. Do not change it. (I’d rather do a redundant backup and spend some extra time than find out later that for whatever reason the other backup had failed or missed something.)

9. Wait about 15-20 minutes for the process to complete and for your phone to reboot completely before disconnecting.

10. It can take a few battery pulls while you're getting your phone running again before the OS becomes stable. If it seems slow at first just give it some time to do its thing and when it seems to have caught up, do another battery pull. In my case, it worked fine right from the get-go.

Good luck! Oh, and if you're using a laptop, make sure it is plugged in so it doesn't power off during any part of this process.

Patrick
    03-15-11 03:38 PM
    ... and, FYI, my nephew's Torch came with 6.0.0.246 from Telus here in Calgary.
    03-15-11 03:44 PM
    i have had no problems with my torch i think its a very nice phone.
    03-15-11 04:09 PM
    I've come from a 9700 onto the Torch. Like everyone else I love the Torch, BUT, it is HEAVY.
    03-15-11 06:33 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD