I'm planning on getting a new phone, I loved my Bold 9700 but it's not working anymore. I'd like to ask you guys is the 9800 worth getting? Or should I just wait for the Bold 9780 to come? I'm mainly a BBM user I use it daily and for hours!
    10-18-10 04:31 AM
    Well I havnt tried the 9700 but I love my 9800 and happy I chose it I guess its all down to your personal preferance if you want a touch screen or not

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-18-10 05:11 AM
    I'm thinking of using the physical keyboard more because I prefer typing on buttons rather than typing on a screen, So is the Torch's physical keyboard good and easy to type on like the 9700?
    10-18-10 05:33 AM
    Having had a 9700, the physical keyboard feels more solid and lacks the clackiness of my previous berries. The Torch newest OS is worth updating to if the one you may purchase does not have it loaded. The physical keyboard in concert with the touchscreen and trackpad make it definitely worth is as does the webkit browser. The best way to know for sure is to do in-store testing and determine if it meets your needs. I can't imagine going back to a non-touchscreen RIM device.

10-18-10 05:55 AM
    I really like the build of the torch, but I never tried it in person. Unfortunately I can't try it in store because they don't have one out of the box for people to try, they just sell the devices. So I'd like to know is typing on the physical keyboard's easy? And is the Torch BBM friendly?

10-18-10 06:26 AM
    I really like the build of the torch, but I never tried it in person. Unfortunately I can't try it in store because they don't have one out of the box for people to try, they just sell the devices. So I'd like to know is typing on the physical keyboard's easy? And is the Torch BBM friendly?

Its ok ts kind of strange coming from the Bold. If you ore going to use the keybord more get the Bold. Using the keyboard makes the Torch very akward to hold because it becomes very top heavy. The key board is smaller than the 8520 or Curve 3G. Now if you use the touchscreen it's great. Hope this helps.

10-18-10 06:55 AM
    So you're saying that only using the physical keyboard isn't that good while texting? Cause I prefer typing fast and I don't think I can type as fast with the touch screen.
    10-18-10 07:11 AM
    I think you should go for it. The keyboard is well put together and easy for texting. I came into BB Torch from a Windows Mobile device and was worried about the typing on a smaller keyboard. The learning curve was high originally for me, but I am not even a week in and love the set-up and the OS is really good. You won't want to use the screen for typing texts, but it is useful if you need to add a few letters while searching. You will find that some things are good with the touch screen and others need to be done with the keyboard. It is the best of both worlds.
    10-18-10 08:41 AM
    So you're saying that only using the physical keyboard isn't that good while texting? Cause I prefer typing fast and I don't think I can type as fast with the touch screen.
    It's a fine keyboard. I would say it is not better or worse than the 9700, but it is different from the 9700. If you're coming from a 9700 it takes some getting used to (other long time 9700 users on this board can comment on that with much more authority than I can) but it's a very good keyboard. Personally, I almost never use the onscreen keyboard.

As for the top-heavy comment, personally I find the balance to be fine. As with any new device, it takes a little while to get used to it, but within a couple of days it feels very comfortable. It certainly doesn't feel ungainly or as if you're about to lose control of and drop the phone. It's just a different feel.

The combination of touch and keyboard makes for a very good experience.
    10-18-10 08:41 AM
    Keyboard use is definitely not bad for texting although I am getting better using the virtual one.
    10-18-10 10:11 AM
    I recently switched from the Bold 9700 to the Torch 9800. Personally I would say the only advantage of the torch is the bigger touchscreen. OS6 will be coming to the Bold 9780, and so will the 5 MP camera (i believe) so those are non-factors.

If you're mainly doing messaging, I would probably stick with the Bold. The keyboard on the bold is more comfortable to type on and I find quicker and more accurate than the Torch. The Torch keyboard is pretty much identical in size, but the buttons are a lil recessed, meaning u don't get as much feel for the keys.

This is just my opinion. I'm happy with my Torch, but sometimes I miss my Bold
    10-18-10 11:46 AM
    Thank you for your replies! I guess I'll go for it and give it a try.
    10-18-10 02:27 PM
    I say for what you use it for just use a bold 9700.
    10-18-10 02:36 PM
    Well seeing's how your Bold 9700 is out of commish..i'd definately jump on the Torch. I love the fact that with the slide out keyboard you are getting a full 3.2" screen to view and type your messages on, and with the touchscreen, trackpad and physical keyboard to work with, the combination can't be beat.
    10-18-10 02:54 PM
    I wish I could, but my Bold 9700 isn't working anymore
    10-18-10 02:54 PM
    That's what I'll be doing, I'll go get one. Thank you
    10-18-10 02:55 PM
    Hehe i had both an i like torch a lot better. The screen estate is my main switch issue. The keyboard is too hard for my liking but its still good, my 9700 had a softer feel. In honesty i type on the keyboard just because i like the feel. If i want to get the job done i use touch screen, i come from iphone and the touch keyboard is only second to the iphone from all the devices i used so far. My buddy works for bell so i get to try them all
    It is a great device, i finally went back to BB, as i was always a BB user, and i gotta say in reality touch screen is the way to go, if you really need to type touch screen is tons faster, just take a deep breath and trust it, you will see it works really well.
    10-18-10 11:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD