Hi guys, don't know if you can help me.

Basically, on my last Bold 9700, I knew I had a UMA connection when I was in and around the house, as it would quite clearly show on my phone.

I'm now with Vodafone and have set-up the Torch to pick up wi-fi from my home router. But I'm not convinced that it is using UMA as my 3G icon is still showing and I wouldn't have the first clue where to start, if there is something that I haven't done, or set up properly??

Massive thanks in advance.
    04-15-11 09:21 AM
    If the 3G symbol is still their then its not on UMA, I am on orange and I know they support UMA, not sure if voda do at the moment as they are looking in the femcell technology instead.
    TheGrinder likes this.
    04-15-11 09:26 AM
    thanks mate. i was with orange previously on the 9700 and then made the transition to vodafone. perhaps that's what it is then, just that vodafone doesn't support it?

if i'm still getting my wi-fi connection showing though, what does this mean? it will be still be using my data plan for surfing etc won't it? whereas the uma didn't i beleive?
    04-15-11 09:54 AM
    Hi,

I’m with Vodafone and have a Torch too. I have a 3G signal & a WIFI signal and all the Vodafone shop staff/help forums/documentation say that if you have a WIFI signal then data goes through that.
    I haven’t proved it as I can’t see my data usage on My Account Vodafone web site. But I’d say it’s very likely to be true.
    BTW You can check remaining minutes by texting 44555X1
    04-15-11 10:18 AM
    PS they gave me a Suresignal about two weeks ago when I upgraded but I haven't set it up as I get a good 3G sinal around here.
    04-15-11 10:20 AM
    Hi Rover,

That'd be nice if it was receiving data etc through UMA and not using any of the data plan, but the fact that the 3G logo remains, I just can't see that being the case!

My 3G signal is pretty good as well, so wouldn't really be too bothered about suresignal. It'd be useful to find about minutes etc actually, but what's '44555X1' and what do you have to text to it?

Thanks
    04-15-11 10:50 AM
    Hi,
    You can text anything to it and it will txt back a report.
    I have a contact called Useage that calls 44555X1. X1 is extension 1.
    If you call a number regularly and ask for extension say 2364; change the number and add X2364 it will dial the number, pause slightly and dial extension 2364
    04-15-11 11:23 AM
    Orange are the only UK network who suppory UMA. UMA basically means that your Wi-Fi network is used to replace the mobile network and all traffic from the handset back to the NOC then goes via Wi-Fi instead of over the 2G/3G network. That means calls, sms and data all use Wi-Fi.

Vodafone don't support UMA. When connected to Wi-Fi then your data will use the Wi-Fi network but your calls and SMS will still be via the 2G/3G network.

There's nothing you can do as Vodafone decided to go down their Suresignal route instead of using UMA so now that you've left Orange you won't be seeing UMA on your BB again.
    murz likes this.
    04-18-11 06:43 PM
    When you are connected to wifi you with your torch you won't use any of your blackberries data plan you will use your broadband connections. All uma let's you do is make wifi calls.
    04-18-11 06:55 PM
    If orange do it - does that mean t mobile will in the uk?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-19-11 01:16 AM
    Thanks for all of the input people, much appreciated.
    04-19-11 10:22 AM
    Orange are the only UK network who suppory UMA. UMA basically means that your Wi-Fi network is used to replace the mobile network and all traffic from the handset back to the NOC then goes via Wi-Fi instead of over the 2G/3G network. That means calls, sms and data all use Wi-Fi.

Vodafone don't support UMA. When connected to Wi-Fi then your data will use the Wi-Fi network but your calls and SMS will still be via the 2G/3G network.

There's nothing you can do as Vodafone decided to go down their Suresignal route instead of using UMA so now that you've left Orange you won't be seeing UMA on your BB again.
    Thanks for that Mark, didn't know that.
    04-19-11 11:57 AM
    As mark said, I think it's only Orange that have UMA, but really, if you have signal in your area, why do you need UMA? I've never felt a need for it here in rural south west England.
    04-19-11 01:56 PM
    As mark said, I think it's only Orange that have UMA, but really, if you have signal in your area, why do you need UMA? I've never felt a need for it here in rural south west England.
    I think that question was asked as Orange and TMobile are now the ridiculously named 'Everything Everywhere'. I suppose they could share UMA but only if it was cost effective perhaps.
    04-19-11 02:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD