I have a Torch os6 and am having difficulty converting dvds to playback on the device. It seems that videos (you take) are saved as 3gp files so I assume that is the format to convert dvds to is 3gp? I have tried various conversion programs which say they work but don't! Bottom line, does anyone have a program they can recommend that definitely works so I can convert dvds to watch on the Torch?
    03-13-11 07:07 AM
    convert to .mp4, they will work
    03-13-11 07:31 AM
    Try Handbrake. I convert to MP4 using the iPod Touch preset. That works fine for 2 9800's and a couple of iPod touch plus one iPhone in the house. If you know a lot more about video formats, you can tweak the output as you wish.
    Hope this helps. ~ecm

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-13-11 09:12 AM
    Thanks guys - I also thought mp4 format would work but it hasn't so far. It seems that a lot of the conversion software has a default setting of mp4 for the Torch. As I said, I have taken a video via the Torch and it saves the file as 3gp. So logic tells you that dvd conversion should also work in 3gp format, right? Or am I missing something. I spoke to the RIM guys in Canada and they had no solution. I will try the Handbrake program but I wont hold my breath!!! You know what's going to happen? I will be able to convert dvds and then never watch them! Thanks again guys.
    03-14-11 06:57 AM
    Thanks guys - I also thought mp4 format would work but it hasn't so far. It seems that a lot of the conversion software has a default setting of mp4 for the Torch. As I said, I have taken a video via the Torch and it saves the file as 3gp. So logic tells you that dvd conversion should also work in 3gp format, right? Or am I missing something. I spoke to the RIM guys in Canada and they had no solution. I will try the Handbrake program but I wont hold my breath!!! You know what's going to happen? I will be able to convert dvds and then never watch them! Thanks again guys.
    I dont have much experience with recording video on my torch, just havent tried it yet, but i see your logic.
    However i don't have any trouble playing .mp4 movies stored on my sd card. they all work fine.
    03-14-11 07:15 AM
    Ditto..

mp4 works just perfect on my device also. I like xillisoft video converter, it has a blackberry setting and it transcodes them to mp4.
    03-14-11 08:32 AM
    Videora for blackberry, .mp4 format

03-14-11 11:24 AM
    Mp4, mpeg, avi, etc, none work for me. I converted different files using xilisoft and then copied them to my phone. I used a different default Blackberry setting for each file IE file #1 = 3gp, file #2 mp4, etc. Same error message. I got an error message on the handset earlier saying that there was an error on the media card. (Got it from ebay but that's another story!!!). I changed back to the original micro sd card and I am still having the same problem, still unable to view movies. I think I have to assume the problem is not with the handset. Might be OS v6 but then again, you guys have OS v6. Can't see where BB desktop could be the problem as I am only using it to access the handset not convert the files. I have tried a million conversion programs from the cheap and cheerful to the expensive. They all say they convert video files to BB 9800 which they do. So if you test the file before copying it to the phone, it definitely works. It seems that there is something in the BB OS that does not like converted files. Although it likes video files you create directly from the handset. So maybe the bottom line is that it is a BB OS problem after all. Anyone know a BB techi?
    03-14-11 01:37 PM
    ^^ Its the way you are converting it (particularly the software and the settings), not that the BB doesn't supported converted files...

The phone 100% supports converted files. I've done this with numerous different files and all work...
    03-14-11 01:45 PM
    I think the BB device OS can also have a bearing on video playback. I have some MP4 I ripped using AVC (any video converter - free)
    My MP4 movie rips worked on OS .246, .337 and .448 but NOT properly on .450 or .486. I tested most as regular and BDHP6.1 installs.
    The MP4 also work fine on my iPod 5th Gen(video).
    I don't have any audio with the last 2 leaks. It may be an audio codec problem. IDK.
    03-15-11 09:32 AM
    AKME FFmpeg | Download AKME FFmpeg software for free at SourceForge.net

you can choose the video, and then select your blackberry device, and convert, have fun.
    03-15-11 09:38 AM
    Here's how to do it. A bit long winded but it works.

1) Download a free copy of DVD Decrypter, then install the Following DVD Decrypter
    Once fully installed, open DVD Decrypter, Please put in a dvd into your PC dvd drive.

Now, in the top menu, i.e. File | Edit | View | Mode etc Select Mode and IFO.

Now, into Tools and Settings

Once in this window, go to the IFO Mode tab and select None in the File Splitting. Tick Enable Stream Processing if not already done so. Click ok

Now, Select the Stream Processing tab next to the Input Tab in main window. Untick subtitles and extra audio. Only one Audio and Video should be selected,
    Please note that all dvds vary in content so some may have more than one audio or video. If you look, you can see what's what in the window, i.e. English and Japanese.

Now, back in the Input Tab, I'm going to explain how you select certain scenes of a dvd if you don't want the whole film. (This Option is better if you haven't got a bigger stick than 32MB). I've managed to fit 8 mins of dvd quality on a 32MB duo stick with enough space left for game saves.
    DVD Decryter has a very useful feature which selects the film automatically in the Input Window. You can see the length of film just below this, the Chapters can be seen, which are all ticked by default. These are the DVD film chapters. If you only want an opening of a film for example, only tick Chapter One (including the cells which also need to be ticked).
    All chapters should be ticked if you want the whole film.
    Now, your ready to Copy the DVD onto your Computer Hard Drive. I recommend you select the desktop as a file location.

Let DVD Decryter do it's magic, Note: Copy's faster if pc has better ram and no other programs running.

And out pops a .VOB file named something like VTS_01_1 and another file which can be deleted. Rename the .VOB file to what ever the DVD was.

Now download PSP Video 9 and run the converted movie through this, after this is done you will find the video in MP4 format in the c drive program files for the PSPVideo9 under MP Root. There will be another file in that, open it, then drag and drop to phones memory card.

Let me know how you get on
    03-15-11 10:53 AM
    ^^ Its the way you are converting it (particularly the software and the settings), not that the BB doesn't supported converted files...

The phone 100% supports converted files. I've done this with numerous different files and all work...
    I seemed to have tried all different formats and combinations. Nothing works.
    03-15-11 11:41 AM
    AKME FFmpeg | Download AKME FFmpeg software for free at SourceForge.net

you can choose the video, and then select your blackberry device, and convert, have fun.
    I have downloaded and installed AKME but there is no option for Blackberry. Choose from the following: 3gp2, 3gp, aac, ac3, avi, flv, mov, mp3, mp4 mepeg, mp4 apple, ogg, swf, wav

Which one?
    03-15-11 11:45 AM

1) Download a free copy of DVD Decrypter, then install the Following DVD Decrypter
    Once fully installed, open DVD Decrypter, Please put in a dvd into your PC dvd drive.

Once in this window, go to the IFO Mode tab and select None in the File Splitting. Tick Enable Stream Processing if not already done so. Click ok

Now, Select the Stream Processing tab next to the Input Tab in main window. Untick subtitles and extra audio. Only one Audio and Video should be selected,
    Please note that all dvds vary in content so some may have more than one audio or video. If you look, you can see what's what in the window, i.e. English and Japanese.

Now, back in the Input Tab, I'm going to explain how you select certain scenes of a dvd if you don't want the whole film. (This Option is better if you haven't got a bigger stick than 32MB). I've managed to fit 8 mins of dvd quality on a 32MB duo stick with enough space left for game saves.
    DVD Decryter has a very useful feature which selects the film automatically in the Input Window. You can see the length of film just below this, the Chapters can be seen, which are all ticked by default. These are the DVD film chapters. If you only want an opening of a film for example, only tick Chapter One (including the cells which also need to be ticked).
    Now, your ready to Copy the DVD onto your Computer Hard Drive. I recommend you select the desktop as a file location.

Let DVD Decryter do it's magic, Note: Copy's faster if pc has better ram and no other programs running.

And out pops a .VOB file named something like VTS_01_1 and another file which can be deleted. Rename the .VOB file to what ever the DVD was.

Now download PSP Video 9 and run the converted movie through this, after this is done you will find the video in MP4 format in the c drive program files for the PSPVideo9 under MP Root. There will be another file in that, open it, then drag and drop to phones memory card.

Very comprehensive instructions, easy to follow until you have downloaded and installed psp9. Asks various questions on first install. I took a guess and opted for the first in each list. I can see the logic - decrypt the dvd and then convert it. Makes sense. Converting the file as we speak although I have not idea if I am converting to the right format. Watch this space!
    03-15-11 11:49 AM
    I still think this is a Blackberry OS glitch although I hear what you guys are saying. Am I missing something but if the manual says the device can work with lots of formats such as avi, mp4, etc,etc, why are we all having to convert video files to watch them?
    03-15-11 11:52 AM
    Download videora for blackberry and try converting one video to .mp4.
    03-15-11 12:47 PM

Hi there - I've got some good news and some bad news. The good news is that I successfully decrypted, converted and copied the file to the memory card in the phone - previous attempts showed dashes where the length of the movie should be. Now you see the file and the length of the movie. Okay so far. Now the bad news, when you press play, the error message says it cannot play the file while the alerts are on. By that I assume it means wifi, bluetooth signals, etc? So I switched them all off and got the same error message. I did a battery pull and now get "The video portion of the media being played uses an upsupported format". I have obviously done something wrong?
    03-15-11 12:56 PM
    Lego Star Wars - update

I seem to have sound but no picture. Any ideas?
    03-15-11 01:01 PM
    Lego Star Wars - in psp9 what encoding settings do you recommend?
    03-15-11 01:20 PM
    update on my reply
    DVD decrypter I use is version 3.5.20
    PSP video 9 is verson 1.5 hope this helps
    03-16-11 01:23 AM
    Try using the versions I listed in my update. Do apologise, I forgot to list which versions I use. Sorry.
    03-16-11 01:26 AM
    I always go for the psp I have. If you have one connect it and psp video 9 will sort for you. Failing that try:- 320x240/29.97fps1500kbps stereo/128kbps
    03-16-11 01:32 AM
    I always go for the psp I have. If you have one connect it and psp video 9 will sort for you. Failing that try:- 320x240/29.97fps1500kbps stereo/128kbps
    Plus. This was for win xp. Anything higher just do a search for compactable program. Ie. Win 7 will work but not before searchng for xp program. That shouuld be all you need now. Good luck

03-16-11 09:55 AM
    Thanks very much for the advice. No luck converting so far. I really cannot understand why any of us have to go through this nonsense of converting video files for a device which, according to RIM, handles a whole range of different formats. Am I missing something here? Looks like I might well have to give up and get on with life!
    03-17-11 01:03 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD