So is anyone else wondering if VZW will release the Torch style slider in place of the Storm2 Re-Release ?? I had the pleasure of toying with a Torch at the local ATnT retailer and was amazed. It runs effortlessly on the 6.0 software and is awesome ! Im disappointed in all the other phones out there right now, Blackberry Bold is an upgraded Curve and the Droid series line will be out dated by March of 2011.

The touchscreen on the torch is better than other touchscreens of past. No click or surepress technology. A solid Phone !

Anyone have any news...rumors anything....Im chomping at the bit waiting to get my own Torch !!
    10-03-10 11:14 AM
    I don't think you will see a torch like device or any new blackberry with Verizon anymore. I know they are getting the new 3g curve but beyond that Verizon has their hooks on Android and sales are thru the roof! Not to bash bb but the android platform is killing bb and until Rim makes some major changes I don't think The Big Red will invest in them.
    10-03-10 11:27 AM
    Not gonna happen. Torch is gsm exclusive. That woulda been sweet though.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-03-10 11:29 AM
    Yeah, what esn said too. Verizon is pretty focused on android right now. As far as software goes, 6.0 isn't bad and if qnx makes it on here, we will be rockin

10-03-10 11:32 AM
    These forums should be a wake up call for Rim!
    10-03-10 11:56 AM
    Amen to that. Its free marketing research anyway haha

10-03-10 12:20 PM
    I thought I read an article about how Verizon wasnt going to release the "storm 3" because it didnt have enough upgrades from the "storm 2"
    10-03-10 12:23 PM
    I don't think you will see a torch like device or any new blackberry with Verizon anymore. I know they are getting the new 3g curve but beyond that Verizon has their hooks on Android and sales are thru the roof! Not to bash bb but the android platform is killing bb and until Rim makes some major changes I don't think The Big Red will invest in them.
    Not to hijack the thread ... but better Android than WinMobile. Had the worst 'smart' phone experience of my life with a WinMo-powered phone, and I have zero confidence that WinMo 7 is going to be any different.

But I digress ... I am sorry for you folks who really want a Torch but are tied to Verizon (or any other carrier that won't get it). Android is obviously doing well for them, so it does make business sense if that's what they're betting on.

However, if you're not tied to Verizon but rather just prefer it for whatever reason, I'd just like to relate that have had nothing but good experience and service with AT&T. I swear that the vast majority of complaints about their network come from iPhone owners. Not to bash iPhones, because they're great devices; but neither an I not talking out my arse here ... My wife has an iPhone 3Gs, I've had BB's now for, ummm, well longer than she's had an iPhone. From the same locations, hers drops calls, mine doesn't; where she gets a crappy signal, I get 5 bars. Not constantly, but enough to suggest that the iPhone's radio's performance may be lower than most others, for which a lot of people may be undeservedly blaming AT&T. (Note that I said 'may' ... this is a personal observation, not a scientific study.)

We had AT&T for our first cell phone carrier many years ago and dumped them as soon as we could because, at the time, their coverage did suck. Then we went to Verizon, and dumped them just as quickly because the only thing that sucked worse than their coverage was their customer service. We then jumped to Cingular, with whom we were very happy, so you can imagine the gnashing of teeth when we learned shortly thereafter that Cingular was getting acquired by AT&T. However, in the years that had passed since our first experience, AT&T had made monumental improvements across the board. That was just about 6 years ago, and we've been completely satisfied with AT&T since.

Kind of a round-about way to get to the point: if you're holding off on getting a phone that you really want because of the carrier, give it a bit more thought, because the carrier isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

As far as software goes, 6.0 isn't bad and if qnx makes it on here, we will be rockin
    Ooh yeah ... once RIM starts porting QNX to their phones, watch out.
    Last edited by 18to12fitty; 10-03-10 at 01:20 PM.
    bodeb likes this.
    10-03-10 01:18 PM
    I was in two different verizon stores on Friday, one clerk said that he was "holding out" for a torch, and in the other store the I was told that "it sould come out (at verizon) in 3 or 4 months". I've beaten my poor curve 8330 to death and am eligible for an upgrade, don't like any of the other BBs as well.....holding out myself, we'll see....live in a rural area in NorCal and AT&T really does suck here....
    10-03-10 01:43 PM
    I've beaten my poor curve 8330 to death and am eligible for an upgrade, don't like any of the other BBs as well.....holding out myself, we'll see....live in a rural area in NorCal and AT&T really does suck here....
    Purchase a new 8330 to beat up until something comes out that you enjoy?!
    10-03-10 01:46 PM
    Now that VZW has scraped the planes to continue the Storm line, hopefully, at some point RIM and VZW can sit down for a nice cup of coffee and create a CDMA variant of the Torch.
    10-03-10 01:47 PM
    Verizon seems to be trying to get their hands in a bit on each market. They do offer the largest selection of Android, they have a decent amount of Blackberries, and they will have a decent selection of Windows Phone 7, and of course the iPhone rumors. Verizon has done this all right, they put themselves in position for people to go I like this OS, they don't have to decide which carrier to switch to if they like Verizon.
    10-03-10 02:36 PM
    Not to hijack the thread ... but better Android than WinMobile. Had the worst 'smart' phone experience of my life with a WinMo-powered phone, and I have zero confidence that WinMo 7 is going to be any different.

But I digress ... I am sorry for you folks who really want a Torch but are tied to Verizon (or any other carrier that won't get it). Android is obviously doing well for them, so it does make business sense if that's what they're betting on.

However, if you're not tied to Verizon but rather just prefer it for whatever reason, I'd just like to relate that have had nothing but good experience and service with AT&T. I swear that the vast majority of complaints about their network come from iPhone owners. Not to bash iPhones, because they're great devices; but neither an I not talking out my arse here ... My wife has an iPhone 3Gs, I've had BB's now for, ummm, well longer than she's had an iPhone. From the same locations, hers drops calls, mine doesn't; where she gets a crappy signal, I get 5 bars. Not constantly, but enough to suggest that the iPhone's radio's performance may be lower than most others, for which a lot of people may be undeservedly blaming AT&T. (Note that I said 'may' ... this is a personal observation, not a scientific study.)

We had AT&T for our first cell phone carrier many years ago and dumped them as soon as we could because, at the time, their coverage did suck. Then we went to Verizon, and dumped them just as quickly because the only thing that sucked worse than their coverage was their customer service. We then jumped to Cingular, with whom we were very happy, so you can imagine the gnashing of teeth when we learned shortly thereafter that Cingular was getting acquired by AT&T. However, in the years that had passed since our first experience, AT&T had made monumental improvements across the board. That was just about 6 years ago, and we've been completely satisfied with AT&T since.

Kind of a round-about way to get to the point: if you're holding off on getting a phone that you really want because of the carrier, give it a bit more thought, because the carrier isn't nearly as bad as some people make it out to be.

Ooh yeah ... once RIM starts porting QNX to their phones, watch out.
    I've been w/AT&T for 14yrs (att/cingular/att) without issue.
    I'm happy with the service and will prolly never change.

10-03-10 07:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD