So I recently "upgraded" to .450 from .246 and have gone through all 40 some pages of the .450 fixes and findings and the user results seem to vary to a pretty wide degree.

What have we seen as a reason for the variations?
    Ive read that there are many corrupted downloads, mirrors and whatnot
    Im guessing it could also be a carrier/location thing?

I know there are a handful of what I deem experts (papped and mccartney) sorry if I misspelled =\

chime in
    03-28-11 05:46 PM
    Kinda depends what issues you mean. Problems wise:

Data migration is one possible issue. Not everybody is migrating the same applications and data.

One example is you could have had some sort of corrupted settings and not know about it, which gets migrated over to the new OS.

Also you are migrating data from different OSes... Some people could be migrating from something really old that most of the other users on here are not.

Sometimes there can be installation failures with hybrids for example (maybe possible with regular OSes? I haven't seen it but it's possible) where a .cod fails to install properly, which can result in crashing based on usage. I know to reload the .cod file to the device, but if you don't it's highly unstable...

Performance wise:
    -Different OSes with different radio codes perform differently in different locations. This also impacts battery life...
    -Different usage, different applications. Some people readily encounter bugs or problems based on their usage that others might not ever see because they use the device differently.

The bottom line is that data migration is not a simple thing. It's not a flawless process... Odds are if you are having some oddball experiences that others are not (ie highly unstable OS), a wipe + minimal restore + manual 3rd party reinstall would probably fix it.... Something migrated poorly.
    jlspeed29 likes this.
    03-28-11 05:56 PM
    thanks....i was hoping you would post in here...
    So the question bears: Is there an optimal process when upgrading to an OS?
    ie
    wipe then install then 3rd party apps?

it seems that the variations in performance and "bugs" could, in theory, be infinite?
    not an infinite amount of bug for 1 user, but infinite in varying from user to user depending on usage habits etc to some degree?
    03-28-11 06:01 PM
    The optimal is ipd backup, wipe, install new os, minimal restore from .ipd (messages/sms/contacts, etc), reinstall 3rd party.

Not usually necessary, but that's optimal. I'd only do it if I had issues first though.

But yeah, performance variations can be all over the place. OSXX gives me good reception + good battery life, but some other guy in another area gets worse reception so his battery life tanks...
    03-28-11 06:03 PM
    Another possible scenario, OSXX specifically introduces a bug with a 3rd party app that causes exceptions or constant network failures, resulting in poorer performance or battery life.

But if I'm not using that application or applications that access that API (or whatever the root cause is), that does not affect me at all...
    03-28-11 06:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD