I,m new to CB and I have a questions on the Torch. I am on T-MO and wish to get a 9800 and have it unlocked. My question is ...what bells and whistles do I loose? I see a lot of post from 3 yrs ago, with no clear info.
    Thanks to all for any info.
    04-09-11 12:32 PM
    You really will not lose anything significant, unless there are apps for your device that are not available for the 9800.

If you had a 9700 or 9300 branded to T-Mobile, you would lose 3G by using a 9800, since T-Mobile uses different frequency bands for 3G than most other carriers such as AT&T. However, the 8220 is not a 3G device anyway.

If you want 3G, you will need a 9700, 9780, 9300, or 9100 branded to T-Mobile, Wind Mobile (Canadian carrier), or Cincinnati Bell. Those carriers use the same 3G bands as T-Mobile. T-Mobile does not have the 9100, but Cincinnati Bell does. Wind Mobile has the 9700, 9780, 9300, and 9100.
    Last edited by lak611; 04-09-11 at 01:05 PM.
    04-09-11 12:42 PM
    Welcome to the crackberry family

There are tons of threads, posts, spec sheets on the site... Try looking for posts with recent activity.. You can sort by most recent post from the column headder, in the fourm... I have seen at least 3 threads in the past week with a title somewhere along the line of "thinking of getting a torch", "should I get a torch" etc... It is always better to try searching for other/similar threads..No use starting another thread of the same..... Although the mentality "if you build it, they will come" can sometimes be applied, it is usually faster to read other posts, than waiting for people to come to you...

Try these:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/an...ml#post6207319

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/sh...-torch-602576/

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/sw...-torch-600982/

Hope they help you. If you are a blackberry user, you won't be disapointed with this beautiful device

Cheers

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    TXPHOTOG likes this.
    04-09-11 12:46 PM
    "Bells and whistles" from the 8220? Well, I guess it would be easier to put together a pros-and-cons list:

Pros:

- 3G HSPA network speeds
    - Full keyboard, while still having the option of the SureType virtual keyboard which I'm sure you're quite used to
    - Bigger screen
    - OS6
    - Much faster processor (8220 was horrendously laggy)
    - Much more RAM
    - More app support
    - Touchscreen (if that's your thing)
    - Trackpad instead of trackball (lasts longer)

I'm sure there are others, but I don't want this to drag on. As for cons (or pros for the Pearl Flip),

- External LCD screen, which is very handy for a quick glance to check the clock and messages
    - Impossible to pocket-dial or operate accidentally
    - Loop for cellphone charms (you did say "bells and whistles", right?)
    - Left convenience key (Torch only has one on the right side)
    - Smaller, lighter

Long story short, the Torch is a massive upgrade in pretty much every way. Most of the advantages of the 8220 is attributable to the flip-form factor. For that reason, I recommend you check out the Blackberry Style. Although it's a CDMA phone, it can be unlocked and used on EDGE. The Pearl 3G is also a very logical upgrade for you as well. Both models may offer more familiarity to you.

Last edited by Masahiro; 04-09-11 at 12:54 PM.
    TXPHOTOG likes this.
    04-09-11 12:50 PM
    "Bells and whistles" from the 8220? Well, I guess it would be easier to put together a pros-and-cons list:

Pros:

- 3G HSPA network speeds
    The 9800 will not be capable of 3G on T-Mobile. The frequency bands are different.

For that reason, I recommend you check out the Blackberry Style. Although it's a CDMA phone, it can be unlocked and used on EDGE.
    The Style is CDMA only. It has no SIM card and cannot be unlocked. The OP would need to switch from T-Mobile to Sprint if he wants a Style.
    TXPHOTOG likes this.
    04-09-11 12:54 PM
    Whoops. Missed that he was on T-Mobile. Ignore the HSPA then. I also figured the Style was a world phone like all other current CDMA Blackberrys. I apologize if that is false. Does T-Mobile offer the Pearl 3G?

04-09-11 12:57 PM
    Whoops. Missed that he was on T-Mobile. Ignore the HSPA then. I also figured the Style was a world phone like all other current CDMA Blackberrys. I apologize if that is false. Does T-Mobile offer the Pearl 3G?

The Style is not a world phone. RIM BlackBerry Style 9670 specs - Phone Arena

T-Mobile does not offer the 9100. Cincinnati Bell does, and they use the same 3G bands as T-Mobile.
    04-09-11 01:01 PM
    Thanks to all for your input. I had heard that when you buy a phone from on carrier and unlock it to use on a different on that some of the Bells and Whistles may be lost during the move. I did not know if unlocking an AT&T phone to T-MO would be worth the $$. I understand AT&T is buying T-MO next year and this might just be a mute point. Thanks again for all the info. CB has been useful in solving some of my Flip issues in the past!
    04-09-11 01:09 PM
    Thanks to all for your input. I had heard that when you buy a phone from on carrier and unlock it to use on a different on that some of the Bells and Whistles may be lost during the move. I did not know if unlocking an AT&T phone to T-MO would be worth the $$. I understand AT&T is buying T-MO next year and this might just be a mute point. Thanks again for all the info. CB has been useful in solving some of my Flip issues in the past!
    Even if the merger goes through, any changes will not happen for over a year anyway. There will be some new BlackBerry devices available later this year, and T-Mobile should be getting something new. Thus, you will be able to upgrade and get a new device that has full 3G functionality.
    04-09-11 01:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD