I managed to drop my Torch and much to my dismay the screen cracked. This at least proves that the screen is made of glass. It's in perfect working order except that...the screens cracked. What's even more disheartening is that it was in the Otterbox case.

Does anyone have any advice for what I should do as far as replacement, repair, and whatnot?
    09-14-10 04:32 PM
    09-14-10 04:33 PM
    Ahhh so there they are. Any idea how to take of this dead one and install it?
    09-14-10 04:39 PM
    Ahhh so there they are. Any idea how to take of this dead one and install it?
    There's a video on YouTube on how to disassemble the Torch.
    09-14-10 04:44 PM
    There's a video on YouTube on how to disassemble the Torch.
    Thanks a bunch, I just hope I don't mess up the reassembly.

I guess it was bound to happen to someone. I guess I should be honored that I'm one of the first =P False optimism, lol.
    09-14-10 05:19 PM
    to open ur torch be sure to have a set of screwdrivers torx (T1-T2-T3-T4-T5 exct)
    09-14-10 05:23 PM
    to open ur torch be sure to have a set of screwdrivers torx (T1-T2-T3-T4-T5 exct)
    Yeah I happen to have those screwdrivers on hand, I just wish there was a video of someone putting it back together after they take it apart. Is there a video like that that you know of?
    09-14-10 05:48 PM
    Welcome to the world or Storm.

You can get Stick-em real cheap now that the NFL has outlawed it.

09-14-10 05:56 PM
    so the screen really is glass! SAWEET! I'm sorry about your broken phone though
    09-14-10 06:45 PM
    so the screen really is glass! SAWEET! I'm sorry about your broken phone though
    Haha no worries. I have it insured so I'll just pay the $125 and get another one.

That's the first thing I thought too. I swear I saw it hit the ground in slow motion, but even with it broken as I picked it up I thought, "oh damn it really is glass." LOL

I remember seeing someone with an iPhone with a broken screen a few months ago and I thought I'd never have to deal with that as long as I had a Blackberry...then the Torch came around. Oh well, lawl. It doesn't scratch as easily since it's glass, but DAMN does it ever shatter. I was pissed earlier, but this is a bit of a...learning experience. You win some you lose some, lawl.
    09-14-10 06:51 PM
    Haha no worries. I have it insured so I'll just pay the $125 and get another one.

That's the first thing I thought too. I swear I saw it hit the ground in slow motion, but even with it broken as I picked it up I thought, "oh damn it really is glass." LOL

I remember seeing someone with an iPhone with a broken screen a few months ago and I thought I'd never have to deal with that as long as I had a Blackberry...then the Torch came around. Oh well, lawl. It doesn't scratch as easily since it's glass, but DAMN does it ever shatter. I was pissed earlier, but this is a bit of a...learning experience. You win some you lose some, lawl.
    Good lawd! Your deductible is $125? I mean it's better than paying retail, but dayum!

What company did you use? I thought $50 was the max deductible? Now where is my Stick 'Em?
    09-14-10 07:27 PM
    Good lawd! Your deductible is $125? I mean it's better than paying retail, but dayum!

What company did you use? I thought $50 was the max deductible? Now where is my Stick 'Em?
    AT&T is $150 on the Torch.
    09-14-10 07:28 PM
    AT&T is $150 on the Torch.
    Call the po-po! That's highway robbery!
    09-14-10 07:33 PM
    Interesting, I could have sworn I saw a post on here confirming the screen was plastic. Happy to hear is glass, sorry to hear yours broke.
    09-14-10 07:45 PM
    really sucks it happened... let us know how you make out with this... pics before and after incase it happens to someone else.
    09-14-10 08:34 PM
    wonder if you can just get a new lcd ? shouldn't be that hard to change out.
    09-14-10 08:34 PM

AT&T uses Asurion for their cell phone insurance like a lot of other big carriers do. More inexpensive phones have $50 deductibles while the better ones have theirs at $125.

I figure that if this would've happened without insurance I'd be paying a crippling $500. It's not really fair to compare it to the $200 new contract/upgrade price, but meh.

The Otterbox case is useless for this kind of fall. Absolutely useless. It was a fall from waist level in the case and the screen shatters. The front part of the case came off after it fell. The good news is that the internal hardware and the bezel are completely unharmed, haha. I doubt any practical, reasonably sized case they make for the Torch would be any more effective. I was skeptical of the case at first and this just confirmed my suspicions.
    09-14-10 08:42 PM
    Ouch man that had to hurt.
    09-14-10 08:51 PM
    wonder if you can just get a new lcd ? shouldn't be that hard to change out.
    I was looking at the videos and the whole tear down process seems kinda risky to me. If I had more schematics and a servicing manual then I'd give it a shot. I'll probably try to get this one fixed or fix it myself once I get my replacement.
    09-14-10 09:26 PM
    really sucks it happened... let us know how you make out with this... pics before and after incase it happens to someone else.
    Yeah, I'll be sure to take pics later on and I'll post them in either this thread or a new one. Hopefully the whole insurance process isn't too bad.

At least I hardly notice the wiggle...lol.
    09-14-10 09:28 PM
    Doesn't Otterbox stand behind their product for protecting against that??? I thought I read this somewhere...but I could be wrong...
    09-14-10 09:34 PM
    I thought Otterbox had some type of gurantee against damage when using their cases?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-14-10 09:40 PM
    I thought Otterbox had some type of gurantee against damage when using their cases?

I see a lawsuit in order.

09-14-10 09:43 PM
    Doesn't Otterbox stand behind their product for protecting against that??? I thought I read this somewhere...but I could be wrong...
    This is what it says on their site:

"OtterBox cannot be held liable for damages to personal property due to misuse or improper care and maintenance of case and o-ring seals. OtterBox warranty does not, under any circumstance, cover the replacement or cost of any electronic device or personal property inside or outside of the case.."

Isn't the point of a case to guard against accidental damage? I know I could have avoid dropping it, but why buy an Otterbox if it won't stop this kind of damage from happening.

You'd think that they'd have some kind of guarantee. This is certainly one of their lesser products, but to their credit it's hard to think of a reasonably sized front case piece that'd offer greater protection.

From now on I'm using a holster. I seriously think it'd be more protective in a drop than this. I never drop my phone when I'm using it anyway, only when I'm holding it in my hand if ever.
    09-14-10 09:51 PM
    I see a lawsuit in order.

09-14-10 10:35 PM
83 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD