Just trying to figure out what all "unlocking" the phone allows us to do beside use it on any other network...my main question would be..if we unlocked our torches (att network) will I be able to drop data service off my plan and still use the phone..right now they have it where I HAVE to have data with them for this specific phone
    08-16-12 05:58 PM
    "Unlocking" merely allows you to use the device on a different carrier network from the one it is branded to.

Unlocking does not enable any additional features. Nor does it change any requirements on AT&T.

If you are remaining with your Torches on AT&T, then you will continue to be required to have a data plan. Unlocking will have no effect on that.
    08-16-12 06:02 PM
    great, thats what I thought but wanted to double check
    08-16-12 06:03 PM
    Yeah, what he said. Unlocking has no advantage if you plan to remain on your same carrier.

However, unlock codes are typically free from your carrier while you have an active plan. I got an unlock code from AT&T for my 9800. I called support and told them I was going to travel abroad and use a local SIM. They gave me an unlock code with no hassle.

There are online sites that offer free unlock codes as well. Search this forum for reputable sites.
    08-16-12 06:56 PM
    Unlocking any blackberry device simply allows you to use it on another network
    08-23-12 04:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD