First and foremost, kudos to the author for providing the steps necessary to get the Torch running on T-Mobile.

I've only converted to BB recently and now my GF wants one of her own as well. She'll primarily use hers for BBM only, so the EDGE factor is not an issue for her. Have anybody tried using bbm with unlocked torch and does it work after following all the steps listed?

Thanks!
    09-07-10 09:44 AM
    I have no problems on BBM.

First and foremost, kudos to the author for providing the steps necessary to get the Torch running on T-Mobile.

I've only converted to BB recently and now my GF wants one of her own as well. She'll primarily use hers for BBM only, so the EDGE factor is not an issue for her. Have anybody tried using bbm with unlocked torch and does it work after following all the steps listed?

Thanks!
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-07-10 12:41 PM
    Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let any UK T-Mo users out there know that if you are thinking of getting the AT&T Torch (to use in UK) the 3G service works fine.

Of course this is after following the instructions as listed above.
    Big thanks to xandermac for the work around.

Andrew
    Last edited by thescottz; 09-07-10 at 01:36 PM.
    09-07-10 01:34 PM
    I have no problems on BBM.

I did a little more research after my earlier post and I concluded that as long as I'm registered (pardon me if that's not the right term) in BIS than BBM shouldn't be a problem. None of the post I read was specifically for the Torch but you just erased all doubts. Thanks for the assurance!
    09-07-10 02:02 PM
    worked like a charm! thanks so much for this tutorial~ ( rarely use DM because i dont need to so,but it's nice to know i can still follow instructions )
    09-07-10 07:57 PM
    xandermac,

You recommend doing this to unlock the torch as a better alternative to using the MEP codes?

EDIT: I did this and I still have an Invalid SIM Card message. Do I need to use a MEP code first and then do this?
    You need to enter a unlock code, also called a mep code, to unlock your blackberry torch then after doing so then you would be able to use it with your carrier.

You need to purchase an mep unlock code. Every blackberry has a unique unlock code that's only specific to that blackberry.
    09-07-10 09:55 PM
    This makes absolutely no sense at all.
    what is the advantage of an unlocked torch on tmo if you're unable to use 3G & more importantly, calls & internet via wifi? it appears that all the "advantages" are lost on the torch by using it on tmo...
    09-07-10 10:50 PM
    Where did you see that calls & internet via wifi don't work? They do!...

what is the advantage of an unlocked torch on tmo if you're unable to use 3G & more importantly, calls & internet via wifi? it appears that all the "advantages" are lost on the torch by using it on tmo...
    09-08-10 11:26 AM
    And works rather well, might I add. I clocked my old Bold on 3G via Mobile Speed test and my Torch on Edge and the speeds are minimally different (chalk that up to TMObile's bad 3G in Atlanta). And on Wifi, where I am 90% of the time, I am faster than 3G.
    09-08-10 12:13 PM
    Thanks for the guide on making Torch to work in T-Mo.

Quick question - will the 3g ever work on T-mo?
    09-08-10 02:02 PM
    Quick question - will the 3g ever work on T-mo?

An ATT branded Torch will not work on 3G on T-mobile because the phone itself does not have the correct antennae (radios) as T-mobile 3G is on a different frequency.
    09-08-10 02:56 PM
    An ATT branded Torch will not work on 3G on T-mobile because the phone itself does not have the correct antennae (radios) as T-mobile 3G is on a different frequency.
    Thanks for the explanation

09-08-10 03:56 PM
    i try to do it with a 8900 and did not work it looks that i need the service books for the bold 2 cab you help me find those service books

Method 1 - ALL Carriers (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6)

Requirement #1 you need an unlocked 9800.

Note: 3g will not work on t-mobile, you can enable UMA after this procedure though.

This method requires that you already have a blackberry on your particular carrier. (or access to one).

1. Switch your SIM into your old device, Register on the network and push your servicebooks to ensure you have the latest (I used a T-Mobile 9700)
    (THIS IS CRITICAL, make sure the SIM is in your old phone. You will not have the necessary Browserconfig SB if you skip this step and therefore still won't be able to surf the web. Do not skip this even if it seems pointless, activate your old blackberry!. Some people skipped it and wondered why the process didn't work...)

2. Go into options, advanced, servicebooks - HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB. This will enable Legacy servicebook restore mode which allows you to backup/restore ALL of your servicebooks (Not just the ones RIM allows you to backup).

3. In Desktop Manager, plug in your 9700 (or whatever you used), go to backup-restore/advanced, on the right hand side select the servicebooks on your 9700 and press the "Left Arrow" to copy them to your PC. On the left hand side highlight the newly copied servicebooks, click file/save and name them something, 9800Servicebook for example, and save the file to the desktop. You've just made a COMPLETE BACKUP of your carriers servicebooks.

4. Switch your SIM back into the 9800, go to options/servicebooks, HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB to enable Legacy SB restore mode.

5. Plug the 9800 into DM and restore the servicebooks that you just created using backup-restore/advanced.

6. Rebewt and bob's ur uncle, working for all carriers. (if MMS is still tiny, it's bc the 9800 isn't identified on the network as a supported device).

IF YOU DECIDE TO MAKE YOUR SERVICEBOOK FILE PUBLIC FOR OTHER USERS, MAKE SURE YOU DELETE YOUR PERSONAL EMAIL SERVICEBOOKS BEFORE YOU MAKE THE BACKUP.

If you choose to then enable UMA

http://forums.crackberry.com/f209/gu...mobile-513720/

If you don't have a blackberry on your carrier you'll have to find the servicebooks for yourself. There's a thread in the 9530 forum that has a link to generic t-mobile servicebooks.
    09-08-10 05:24 PM
    i try to do it with a 8900 and did not work it looks that i need the service books for the bold 2 cab you help me find those service books
    Then follow the instructions...
    09-08-10 05:52 PM
    This is the case for T-Mobile USA, I have full 3G on T-Mo UK
    09-10-10 10:09 AM
    This is the case for T-Mobile USA, I have full 3G on T-Mo UK
    Too bad I don't live in the UK.
    09-10-10 11:53 AM
    09-11-10 09:46 AM
    will the torch work on the Sprint network?
    09-12-10 05:49 AM
    works!!!!!
    thanks...............
    09-12-10 07:48 PM
    THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH!!! THIS WORK PERFECT!!! BOB IS MY UNCLE!!!!! NO I don't have the 3g network but i didnt have it on my Bold either so not exactly missing it right now. i jus really really like the phone!!!
    09-13-10 01:14 PM
    Oh.....whats UMA???
    09-13-10 01:16 PM
    Oh.....whats UMA???
    UMA = Unlicensed Mobile Access

Read this...
    Generic Access Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    09-13-10 04:18 PM
    .225 Update.

For those on T-Mobile, there is something different about the way this OS installs. I did an upgrade and a full wipe/install to test it both ways, both with the same results. After initially installing the OS I had no connection to BIS, this is a first for a fresh install for me (even on the 9800). With .214 (and every other OS I've used) I had a bis connection immediately after the install and could push my email servicebooks no problem (no browserconfig on the 9800 naturally but I copy that over later).

With this OS I had no connection at all after the install and i had to use the legacy SB restore trick to restore all my servicebooks before I could connect to bis to do anything. It took a few tries copying ove my SB's before it worked. I'm going to monitor my connection for a day or two. Having said that, I'm up and running and everything is working for now.

I'm not sure if it was unlucky timing and Tmobile had a temporary bis problem of whether it's something new in this OS that's detetcting an outside network but either way it was a new one to me.

09-13-10 07:42 PM
    has anyone tried this on dm6? all the steps the same? (would i find advanced back up options under device/backup...?)
    09-14-10 07:25 PM
    will the torch work on the Sprint network?
    i was also curious about that...
    09-14-10 10:15 PM
538 ... 1011121314 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD