According to this article in PCMAG:

BlackBerry Torch 9800 (AT&T) Review & Rating | PCMag.com

The Torch is a good voice phone with some odd audio characteristics. Reception was average. The earpiece and speakerphone are both quite loud. But there's no noise cancellation in the microphone; my voice came through clearly on the other side of a call, but so did all of the street noise around me.

I was a little surprised to read this. I always thought BB's were great phones with regards to call quality and reception. I thought my 9700 was better than good.

What's your Opinion?

-Rich
    09-21-10 03:52 PM
    I have had many Blackberries on all the major service providers and have not noticed any real difference between them. Perhaps it is ATT's network and not necessarily the phone. Will be interesting to see what reports others give when released everywhere else. I personally have had the phone for a few weeks now and I have no call quality issues whatsoever nor has anyone I have talked to on the other line complained.
    09-21-10 03:59 PM
    I need to know more about the test they did to come up with that claim.
    In all seriousness, maybe my family or the people I work with are so amateur with regards to phone that they can't tell on their end if I'm using an iphone or a blackberry or even a motorola razor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 04:37 PM
    Have only owned 3 BBs. 8120, 9700, 9800. By far the 9700 was best in audio sound quality. Other than that I really haven't thought much about it. I hear them-they hear me. LOL. I'm not on my Torch all day listening to music when I do I'm happy.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 04:54 PM
    Buzzy "sidetone" issue made OS .141 a non-starter for me. OS .2xx seems to have fixed that problem although I wish they would have a user adjustable sidetone in the menu. Would be so easy to do.

Everyone is different in the way they hear things and to make sidetone user adjustable would be a big improvement IMO.

Some people don't even know what "sidetone" is... Jeeeeeez
    09-21-10 05:51 PM
    Ummm yea...look at the date the article was published. Aug 4. This phone they tested would have obviously been running .141 or whatever the original released OS would have had. There were numerous problems with that OS, including the "robocop" sound (although who doesn't want to sound like robocop? He was effin awesome) which have mostly all since been addressed.

That's the problems with most of these reviews that come out as soon as the phone is dropped (well...more like RIM's problem i guess with releasing a buggy phone). I'd love to see some of these reviewers try the phone again with the latest software upgrades and then give a second opinion. All these comments of "laggy" performance due to the "underpowered" processor might never have happened. But oh well..as long as you enjoy the phone who cares what others think..unless your someone who needs people to "oohh and ahhh" over your gadgets to boost your self esteem.
    09-21-10 06:37 PM
    Idk but the reception on my torch is better than my iphone 4 and 3gs.
    09-21-10 07:16 PM
    Buzzy "sidetone" issue made OS .141 a non-starter for me. OS .2xx seems to have fixed that problem although I wish they would have a user adjustable sidetone in the menu. Would be so easy to do.

Everyone is different in the way they hear things and to make sidetone user adjustable would be a big improvement IMO.

Yea I thought I was the only one who heard that Buzzy "sidetone" sound...then I upgraded to .225 and it disappeared. I was beyond happy. Torch quality is good to me, only issue I had was fixed with .225.
    09-21-10 07:27 PM
    I didn't experience the sidetone buzz when I was running .141.

-Rich

09-22-10 12:43 PM
    I didn't experience the sidetone buzz when I was running .141.

-Rich
    Yeah I understand, that's what I said in my post - everyone hears things differently. Easily 25% of the people I talk to about "sidetone" don't hear it, don't get it and look at me like I'm crazy when I talk about it.

Making it user adjustable would solve everything for everyone. Simple software issue I would think. Oh well, maybe next-generation phones will have it......
    09-22-10 02:06 PM
    I never hear the sidetone buzz on my Torch. My reading of the symptom is that any OS version after .141 solves it.

Call quality/audio quality on my Torch has been better than my 8310 (which was also good).
    09-22-10 02:35 PM
    i haven't had any reception issues with any of my bbs (had the 8900, 9700 and now 9800).

Call quality has all been about the same. Id say my 9700 was the best...but I couldn't really see a big difference.

I use my phone a lot and haven't had any complaints about people not being able to hear me etc.

Just thought Id add my 2 cents.
    09-23-10 08:35 AM
    not really that OC about the call quality.. but i don't have any complaints..
    bigger issue is.. after more than a month with the Torch..
    not a single dropped call.. and no i haven't changed address nor carrier.
    09-23-10 08:42 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD