Ok, so when I got my Curve 8310, I took a lot of time searching forums for help in setting it exactly as I wanted.

Just got the Torch & it took all my settings over for my custom profiles. I thought I would just be able to go in & reapply my ringtones to these profiles. Problem is, there is no "Advanced" option in the "Profiles" Menu anymore. And further, when looking @ the way my Curve was set-up & the way the Torch menus are, it seems to be direct reverse of how I set things up on the Curve.

For example, you go into "Sounds For Contacts" in the Torch - which would be the equivalent to the "Profiles" "Use Active Profiles Except For" section under "Advanced" in the Curve... b/c you only have the option to change the Phone & Messages tone there. But if you go to "Profile Management" in Torch, you get the options for e-mail & all other notifiers as well as Phone (equivalent to "Profiles" (not the exceptions section) under "Advanced" in Curve).

Any old way, with the Torch, if I set the ring tone under "Sounds For Contacts", it rings correctly for that Profile, but will use the text message ringtone for all messages. If I go to "Profile Management" & set ringtones for each kind of message, it will not pick up. There seems to be the "Use Active Profiles Except For" option - meaning I will only ever get 2 tones - 1 for phone & 1 for all messages regardless of type. I'm sure w/ the Torch, there is a quick fix to this that is new to the menu - I'm just not familiar with it. I tried turning the "Sounds For Contacts" settings for that profile to "Active Profile" as well... but then nothing happens - no ring, no anything.

If anyone can help me out, I'd appreciate it, it's driving me bizonkers. I use my ringtones like crazy to determine who's calling & if they're calling, e-mailing, or texting so I'll know how important it is to drop what I'm doing & answer. Any help would be appreciated

p.s. I think the problem is: in the curve under the exceptions & your exception options, there is a place where you are to identify which profile to use. I cannot locate this option in the Torch.
    Last edited by pelican3311; 09-01-10 at 04:32 PM. Reason: add comment
    09-01-10 03:47 PM
    What you are looking for is under "change sounds and alerts" the under profile management. From the it will look similar to what you had before where you can create a custom profile and set thing the way you want.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-01-10 07:30 PM
    What you are looking for is under "change sounds and alerts" the under profile management. From the it will look similar to what you had before where you can create a custom profile and set thing the way you want.

Thanks Shansmi, & yeah, I've found where the screens are & the profiles are set correctly. The problem I think is that their is no exception screen to apply the exception to the profile. I can get it to take for phone & ALL messages, but not for email or other notifiers. I just need a step-by-step... I'm sure I'm just missing a setting, but I cannot get it to work. I've even logically tried to figure out what was missing from the old to the new system... it has to be the exception screen that allows you the option to apply to a specific profile. Both profile management & sounds for contacts are almost identical to the curve, but I'm not sure what I'm missing to get it to work! Lol, any further ideas welcomed. Thanks.
    09-01-10 07:46 PM
    You are creating and editing a new custom profile correct not modifying a default profile?

I have a custom profile on 3 9800s all running different loads and have not seen issues with setting up different tones for each type of event.

What do you mean "all" messages?

Go to options > sounds and ringtones >profile management then hit the BB Menu key and choose new to create a new custom profile.

Give it a name and set all the different notifies the way you want them as far as ringtone, volume, vibration and notify during a call go and report backafter some testing. Keep in mind that setting a custom ringtone for a contact will override profile settings.

09-02-10 12:03 AM
    You are creating and editing a new custom profile correct not modifying a default profile?

I have a custom profile on 3 9800s all running different loads and have not seen issues with setting up different tones for each type of event.

What do you mean "all" messages?

Go to options > sounds and ringtones >profile management then hit the BB Menu key and choose new to create a new custom profile.

Give it a name and set all the different notifies the way you want them as far as ringtone, volume, vibration and notify during a call go and report backafter some testing. Keep in mind that setting a custom ringtone for a contact will override profile settings.

Ok... don't give up on me here, I really want to resolve this issue. I may not be explaining properly. When I changed from the Curve to the Torch, I used BBerry Desktop & it transferred all of my existing Profiles. So, I'm using the Profiles that were already set up, & perhaps this is part of the problem. Maybe I need to start over from scratch. (& so to answer part of your question, you are correct - these are profiles outside of the default profiles - for ex... home, or family, or compadres)

But for the sake of understanding, here's what I did in the Curve to get everything to work properly.

1) Go to Profiles, Go to Advanced, Under Profiles hit Menu, hit New Profile, Name the Profile, Choose ringtones for all kinds of notifiers (email, text, phone, etc), Save by hitting back.
    2) Scroll down below the line to where it says "Use Active Profiles Except For" (same Profiles screen), hit Menu, hit New Exception, Use the same Name as the Profile you just created, Use Profile of the name you just created or Active Profile, hit back to save.

In the Torch, there is no such Exception place to create the offset to the Profile. Now maybe the Torch has done away with the need to have an exception, Idk. But... the Profiles are already there from the Curve transfer. I have them set the way I want per notifier under "Profile Management". BUT when I go to "Sounds for Contacts", the name also exists (the import of the "Exception" lines from the Curve). In THAT menu... I only have 2 options - "Phone" & "Messages"... when I make selections to these, it uses the ringtone I have set for "Messages" for all messages - email & text... instead of using the different one I have set up in "Profile Management". In other words, the settings in "Sounds for Contacts" overrides the ones in "Profile Management". So, I also tried to delete the "Sounds for Contacts" profile (again that imported from the "exception" profiles of the Curve)... since it didn't have the option for ALL notifiers anyway... to no avail. Then I just had no ringtones for that individual.

I hope this makes better sense. In short, what I want is to set my ringtone to normal, but everytime "x" calls, I want his ringtone to be different, his email another, his text another. The import settings from the Curve aren't working properly b/c they are not the same set-up for sure... I just don't know how to tweak the Torch to accomodate.

Thanks for your continued try to help
    Last edited by pelican3311; 09-02-10 at 01:56 AM. Reason: better wording
    09-02-10 01:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD