1. Jamesy207's Avatar
    Ok i have the blackberry torch and it wont switch on, the battery died yesterday and i put it on charge today and still couldnt switch it on, all i get is a red light then a black screen with a white battery and yellow lightening bolt going through it, it has been on charge for around 9hrs now and still wont switch on, i have tried doing a battery pull and still nothing. The phone is not even 1 month old yet so surely the battery cant be bad?
    02-26-11 06:16 PM
  2. dochouse7's Avatar
    It's possible. Some lithium ion cells simply die early. It's happened before. Take the phone back to your carrier and see if they have any spare batteries on hand. If they have to send it out, it will be inconv enient, but it should not cost anything. RIM warranties the batteries in their phones for (I believe) one year.

    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-26-11 08:12 PM
  3. Jamesy207's Avatar
    I shall check that out tomorrow and hopefully that will be all it is, i cant think of anything else it can be
    02-27-11 01:37 PM
  4. Jamesy207's Avatar
    Ok couldnt try new battery as the shop didnt have one so had to order one hopefully be here this week some time, the shop told me it was water damaged as the white box on the battery is red, i do actually remember getting it a little wet the week before but it was working fine after that, is it possible that the water has killed the battery and now its totally dead it wont get any charge? I mean as the red light and the screens display still work when charging?? Getting a little worried now hoping the whole phone isnt broke lol
    02-28-11 09:26 AM
  5. pmccartney's Avatar
    It's possible that the water only damaged the batteries ability to recharge. If everything else was ok, it should still be ok with a new battery. Check the battery contacts, on the phone, for corrosion and possibly have them cleaned.

    I hope so.
    02-28-11 10:37 AM
  6. Jamesy207's Avatar
    Ok so the new battery came today and now its doing the same thing, wont switch on then when i plus the charger in i get a solid red light then that goes off and the white battery sign shows up with the yellow lightening going through it can't seem to get past this stage and as soon as i take the charger out the screen just goes blank as in off mode... Really bugging me to how i can get a display with the charger in yet cant get it to boot up :S
    03-01-11 07:11 AM
  7. homer1475's Avatar
    Sounds to me like water damage. Have a look at the litter sticker at the top under the battery, if it's any color besides white, you'll need to get it replaced or take it somewhere that can service it.
    03-01-11 07:15 AM
  8. Jamesy207's Avatar
    That was i what i was afraid of, it has a little red on but not totally red, do you think a clean out could maybe solve the problem as it did work for a week or so after the water got it only stopped working once the battery totally drained
    03-01-11 07:20 AM
  9. homer1475's Avatar
    You could try putting it rice for a few days(yes dry rice not cooked). Although you have already tried starting the device while it was wet, there's a good bet its already screwed.
    03-01-11 07:23 AM
  10. Jamesy207's Avatar
    Yeah well to be honest i dont really think there was a large amount of water went in it and the fact it was turned on working for a week after that i would think it probably dried itself out?
    03-01-11 07:29 AM
  11. homer1475's Avatar
    Ok, well this is usually how it goes with wet phones(I've had a few now). Typically they will either die straight away or will work for a while and eventually start to crap out, or in the very rare case you get it totally dried out, it may work fine for years to come. The main problem isn't necessarily the water but the deposits left behind by the water that can short circuit things. So even if you completely dry it out, some iron(or whatever is in the water) will leave little deposits on the circuit board causing shorts.

    Take for instance my last torch(RIP), went for a swim in a deep fat fryer. Took it out(was in there for nearly a minute) and immediately pulled the battery. Completely dissembled it and cleaned all the grease out, worked great for a few days until it slowly started to die, first was the touchscreen, then the physical keyboard, then eventually the LCD died.

    I know it sucks, but I truly do believe your problem is water and it fried something.
    Last edited by homer1475; 03-01-11 at 07:50 AM.
    03-01-11 07:47 AM
  12. Jamesy207's Avatar
    Ok well i think i will probably take it to the shop and see if there is anything they can do with it, i understand with what your saying about things starting to go wrong with it although nothing actually had been going wrong with it, had been working perfectly until the battery died and now cant seem to get it charged but thanks for your help i will take it to the experts
    03-01-11 07:53 AM
  13. Jamesy207's Avatar
    Thought i would leave a comment just to say it was the battery afterall and after getting a new battery everything seems to be working perfectly which im happy about
    03-06-11 03:14 PM