About a month ago I posted about my Torch's virtual keyboard not popping up on screen when it should have. Restart after restart, and it was still sporadic. Now, for the last 2 weeks or so, my Torch will not go into landscape mode. It only goes to landscape for YouTube, naturally. I am using .600. I wonder if the sensor went bad? Anyone else experience this? And how did you resolve it?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by xmatter; 09-08-11 at 08:56 PM.
    09-08-11 08:31 PM
    If your warranty is still active I would recommend taking it back and getting a new one
    09-08-11 09:52 PM
    I have the same problem: it is very strange. Also, my virtual keyboard won't come up (yes, I have the Options settings correct). I know that the sensor and switch are OK cos with other phone features, all is OK ie when dialling from the virtual keypad and then opening the slide. i am wondering if it is an OS problem (I am on 600).
    09-09-11 12:45 AM
    wow... i never heard anyone have this issue with their torch before... you should get it replace if your phone is still under warranty
    09-09-11 08:33 AM
    About a month ago I posted about my Torch's virtual keyboard not popping up on screen when it should have. Restart after restart, and it was still sporadic. Now, for the last 2 weeks or so, my Torch will not go into landscape mode. It only goes to landscape for YouTube, naturally. I am using .600. I wonder if the sensor went bad? Anyone else experience this? And how did you resolve it?

Besides the fact that this issue has been posted and addressed ad nauseum (try SEARCH), is there any chance that the slider is open when you are trying to go into landscape mode? Just checking, it's a common error, must be closed. You know that the issues has been addressed so many times by the lack of responses, or great ones like, 'dude, take it back'. Duh.
    09-09-11 04:35 PM
    I have had a similar issue for a while and have discovered that the only thing which will let the screen change to landscape is a BB case with a magnetic clip - placing the magnet near the centre of the Torch seems to reset the screen.

Previously pulling the slider out seemed to cancel the screen turning to landscape - even after closing the slider. With others' Torches once the slider is closed the screen should rotate.

I haven't seen anyone post this solution before, and it hasn't been a problem because I alsways use the slider keyboard, but I wonder if this is an issue with the sensor which is activated by the magnet in the holster?
    10-14-11 10:20 PM
    I had the same issues, so I discovered its something like design problem. Torch can't realize that you've closed the physical keyboard so its not fit with touchscreen section.
    All you guys need to do is push it on yes/no keys to make fit physical keyboard and touchscreen.
    Hint: in a dark place, when you close the physical keyboard you can still see the keylights from the gap on the sideways. So press it till it turns off and you have the physical keyboard, so landscspe is.

Last edited by ichor; 10-15-11 at 11:22 AM.
    Scott403540 likes this.
    10-15-11 11:10 AM
    I had the same issues, so I discovered its something like design problem. Torch can't realize that you've closed the physical keyboard so its not fit with touchscreen section.
    All you guys need to do is push it on yes/no keys to make fit physical keyboard and touchscreen.
    Hint: in a dark place, when you close the physical keyboard you can still see the keylights from the gap on the sideways. So press it till it turns off and you have the physical keyboard, so landscspe is.

If you're using a hard shell case like the casemate barely there, it might not allow your slider to fully close, thus the device doesn't "know" to go to landscape mode. Had that same problem with my T2 w/ the casemate case. Changed to the RIM oem one and the problem went away.

10-21-11 07:48 AM

This worked. The slider has recently started sticking - it doesn't open or close smoothly anymore and it wouldn't go into landscape and I couldn't get the virtual keyboard to come up. Pushing on the yes/no keys did allow the phone to go into landscape and allowed the virtual keyboard to come up, but alas didn't fix the slider issue.
    11-17-11 11:53 AM
    hi i am having this issue. the slider closes but i can see the light from the physical keyboard on so obviously its not closing properly, therefore i cannot access the virtual keyboard and landscape view.
    i dont know what you mean by pushing the yes/no key to make it work.
    where are these keys located?
    thanks
    11-24-11 01:44 AM
    I'm having landscape issues as well.
    I think a restart might help me. I'm on build .668.
    I'll report back to see if it helps.

11-24-11 02:16 AM
    I've had this problem for 3 months, it seems to be a physical problem with the hardware.

Hadn't found a solution :/

I'll upgrade to BBOS .706 but i don't think that'll solve the problem.

Anyway, maybe i'll just use the warranty to get a new one :/

And yes, since the first week it started failing, i used the trick to push the screen untill getting the keyboard's lights off

Updating tomorrow and commenting if the new os helped (really don't think so)

11-25-11 05:22 PM
    I have had the same problem for nearly a YEAR (problem is that after opening and closing the slider the BB will not go into Landscape mode and the virtual keyboard won't appear) and have not found a solution until I discovered something accidentally the other day :

I now think this is a problem with the magnetic switch or sensor in the phone, and a MAGNET CAN FIX IT at least temporarily...

(I don't understand the fix by pressing the yes/no buttons either as posted by ichow, sorry!)

BUT i discovered, by accident, really, that if you can do this:

1. Lock the phone.
    2. Use a magnet (either in the case or a fridge magnet) and place at the back of the Torch on the silver BB symbol, and then move it slowly down the case toward the bottom of the phone while looking at the screen, you will see the screen change to landscape mode!
    3. Now unlock using the touchscreen's virtual keyboard which will MAGICALLY APPEAR for you.

HOWEVER, as soon as you open the slider you will be back to square one and have to do it again - this is not a permanent fix. But if you leave the slider closed you can use landscape mode for as long as you like.

I assume therefore that there is a physical problem with this magnetic sensor in some phones. You can probably get it replaced if under warranty. It is clearly not a software issue although a reboot will sometimes fix it by resetting the sensor.

I will be interested to hear from anyone if this DOESN'T work....
    02-03-12 01:59 AM
    Anybody have an idea if there is a fix? other then returning it to the supplier as my phone is out of warranty
    09-29-12 08:36 AM
    Did you try any of the suggestions here?
    09-29-12 09:14 AM
    I had a hard case cover on my Blackberry Torch 9810 which was preventing the slider to close all the way. Because the virtual keyboard and landscape view only work when the slider is fully closed, I had to take the cover off to get them to work. Annoying! Anyone know what kind of cover I can get that will protect the phone and also not prevent the slider from closing all the way?
    12-04-12 12:31 PM
    my 9810, without a case, is not closing all the way, it has a TINY gap when the slider is closed, and the keyboard remains lit... I am hardware proficient, replaced the LCD and digitizer on my 9800, which seems to have the same kind of sliding mechanism, there is nothing physically interfering with my slider... Any ideas? I havent found anything of anyone fixing said hardware.
    12-26-12 08:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD