Alright, I know it has been discussed in the past, but I'm on the edge to get a new phone!

I presently have the Storm 2 and would like to get something different, I've heard mixed reviews on both phones (Torch and iPhone)

I like to have alot of features on a phone, but not necessary!

iPhone or Torch, that is the question?? Both have their strong and weak side!

JP
    01-26-11 12:28 PM
    I personally prefer my Torch over an iPhone4 as its alot better for emails. With the iPhone4 it wouldnt retrieve emails for some of my emails and even with Apple tech support there was no success in getting it to work.

However it comes down to what you want your phone to do. If mostly looking for apps and games then go for the iPhone4 otherwise I would say the Torch.

Biggest Recommendation is go into the store and play around with both phones and see which you like better. IMO, Opinions on these forums should only account for max 10% of your decision. 90% should be what you use it for and feel of the device and usability for yourself.
    01-26-11 12:34 PM
    Both have pros and cons. Decide what's important to you (which form factor do you prefer, for instance) and which cons you can live with.

Play with them in the store so you get a bit of a feel. If you have friends with either one, ask them what they like and hate about their phone.

Both phones are good ones; it's just a matter of what's best for your needs. We can't answer that one, only you can.
    01-26-11 12:42 PM
    Well the thing is do you like customizing your phone? I use to have an iPhone and I say that it is a great phone but you can't customize an iPhone like a Blackberry. I bought my Torch about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I don't really bother with the tOuchscreen cause I love the QWERTY keypad although the touchscreen is a plus feature. It works wonderfully. My reason for buying it is the organization and notifications of the Torch. To me I feel that a Torch is more of a business phone that helps you maintain your everyday life. An iPhone feels more like a video & game phone. Altough the iPhone have more amazing Apps than Blackberry it really depends what you are looking for in a phone. Also another PLUS PLUS feature that I love so much is the Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint application. I am attending school and this feature is awesome. When I had the iPhone I was trying to find a Microsoft Apps but couldn't but I don't know if that features been added or created yet. I hope this helps a little from my experience.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by amytsab; 01-26-11 at 12:59 PM.
    01-26-11 12:45 PM
    Oh yeah the downside of Torch is you can not delete your call logs all at once and the product material is pretty cheap cause my daughter dropped my phone for the first time and the paint is scratch off. : ( So I would reccommend a case.

01-26-11 12:48 PM
    if only someone will give me a dollar for every Torch vs. iphone thread response then i won't have to work anymore..
    Seriously, there's a lot of threads in here where you'll see user experience highlighting the strengths and weaknesses of both devices..

my Recommendation:

try the iphone 4 first.. you have 30 days to return it..
    then try the Blackberry Torch. then decide.
    it's important to try the iphone 4 first.. and here's why..
    will you be able to live with the compromise.. in terms of alerts, notifications etc. if so.. then the iphone 4 might be a good fit for you.
    there are specific apps that are exclusive to BB like the BBM..if that's not impt to you then again the iphone 4 seems to be the obvious choice.
    01-26-11 12:48 PM
    Frankly speaking, I myself is very interested with both. I went to the shop yesterday to play with Torch and these are my findings:

- I like the QWERTY + touch screen feeling
    - functions are very responsive
    - i like the touch screen as it has a very customize feeling

Comparing touch screen (iPhone vs BB), I would say I prefer iPhone. However, Torch has a very, very good thing which is dual. I love dual.

You can basically, change your mood from time to time. I believe that is what making Torch really impressive.

Just my 2 cents.
    01-26-11 12:57 PM
    Torch is the better option. It is a real phone rather than being a nice flashy toy.

It has a better battery life than the iPhone, has the BlackBerry Messenger, has better push email service, sturdier device than the iPhone
    01-26-11 12:58 PM
    I agree, you should play around with the phones first to get a feel for them. I switched to the iPhone but I miss the Blackberry keyboard and the ability to customize the actual phone without voiding the warranty.
    01-26-11 01:00 PM
    like car, it's a matter of what you like. For sure in a torch forum most people will say that the torch is better, and in an iphone forum, most people will say it's the iphone, maybe you should ask that question in an android forums?

For me I used both(well I tried iOS, BBOS and AndroidOS), and I prefer the Torch, my friend on the otherside, used both too, but prefer the iPhone, and my friend that have the motorola droid, prefer the Android one.

They are all smartphone, some are more picky (like iPhone) and some is way open that trojan appear in the app store (Android, don't use this issue as your decision because I'm sure google will do something about it) and some just are Canadian (BB) I need to support my country at some point ;p (nah that's not the reason why I choose Torch)
    01-26-11 01:14 PM
    Torch is the better option. It is a real phone rather than being a nice flashy toy.

It has a better battery life than the iPhone, has the BlackBerry Messenger, has better push email service, sturdier device than the iPhone
    Hmmm... my iPhone 4 does great with email for both work and personal. Toy argument is getting honestly so very old. I don't play games on my phone. I have it jailbroken and the phone is simply sweet being able to customize the crap out of it. Web browsing does circles around the Torch. Obviously the iPhone is amazing at multimedia especially with the Retina display. My iphone has better battery life then the Torch. I had a Torch for a few months.
    01-26-11 01:40 PM
    For those who say Iphone is a toy, what do you mean by toy? and what does it do to make more as a toy compare to our torch? Apps? games? fart app? that make no sense to me. Quality of built ?

DX9 I compare torch and Iphone4 video and image side by side, I'm still not sure why everyone is saying that Retina display is way better than anything else, I don't see enough different to say (Hey, I really prefer Retina display it's way brighter) because that's not true, both video was the same quality for me and my friend who own the iphone4. I mean if the screen were like a feet wide, then I could understand, but a phone that have a screen 3 inch wide... But hey, I'm not trying to bash the iphone, just trying to understand those fanboys.

so iphone4, 300 ppi
    torch 188ppi.

big different yeah, but on the eye with a screen that small? not sure
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 01-26-11 at 01:54 PM.
    01-26-11 01:50 PM
    with a picture you can clearly see the different, I still don't think my eye is that picky ;p

http://images.anandtech.com/doci/3880/Torch-6578-2.jpg

here is the full review BlackBerry Torch 9800 Review: Keeping RIM's Flame Alive - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    Last edited by AcADIeN; 01-26-11 at 01:58 PM.
    01-26-11 01:56 PM
    You don't mention what you will primarily use your phone for. Each device has advantages and tradeoffs. Here's the way I see them:

iPhone gets the nod for multimedia. Surfing, videos, games. Beautiful screen is hard to beat for this.

Torch gets the nod for communication. email, phone, physical keyboard, and BBM if you use it.

In a nutshell, the iPhone is a multimedia device that doubles as a communication device. The Torch is a communication device that also does multimedia.

Measuring against those two criteria should point you in your direction.
    01-26-11 02:19 PM
    All bs aside either phone is good in its own right. Its going to come down to what you prefer. You know why they suggest to try the ip4 first? Cause when you get torch in your hands you won't let it go. Lol.

01-26-11 02:20 PM
    You know, in the end, whether it's the iphone 4 or the latest Android.. Or the Blackberry Dakota, it's not going to change You as a person.. You will still have the same set of friends, the same boring job in the office etc etc.

01-26-11 02:35 PM
    I had an iPhone 3G before the Torch. LOVE my Torch. I didn't really like my iPhone, but got it because my husband had one and was begging me to switch from my old Pearl 8100. I did enjoy the iPhone at first, all the cool apps and the lure of the touchscreen. I quickly realized I did not like using touchscreen because of the fingerprints (ick!) and the awkward texting/emailing without a physical keyboard. I also did not like the fact that when you receive a text message with the iPhone, it shows on your screen without you having to activate it, talk about a privacy issue if I'm with a client and my phone (which sits on my desk) receives a text message and the message is visible to the client! Also, no folders for pictures and no LED notification were BIG cons for me.

The Torch is a great option for those who love the touchscreen capability with the physical keyboard available as well. I don't use the touchscreen on my Torch. I prefer trackpad/physical keyboard. But I love having the full screen that the Torch offers. I'm also a huge fan of the BB OS.

Both are great options, it just depends on what YOU want for yourself.
    01-26-11 03:12 PM
    I also did not like the fact that when you receive a text message with the iPhone, it shows on your screen without you having to activate it, talk about a privacy issue if I'm with a client and my phone (which sits on my desk) receives a text message and the message is visible to the client!.
    I hated that so much with the iPhone. I am jailbroken so now use Bitesms app from Cydia and you can disable the Popup and just have a notification in the top status bar. Double tap the status bar opens a Quickreply. Bitesms alone makes jailbreaking worth it. I could actually never use an iPhone as stock again after seeing what you can do with the phone with tweaks, themes and so on.
    01-26-11 03:40 PM

Better option for what? All depends what the op wants in a phone so either one could be the better option. Where did you get your facts cause ip4 definitely has the better battery and that toy comment....old, really old!

Shanicenicolle likes this.
    01-26-11 04:14 PM
    Well the thing is do you like customizing your phone? I use to have an iPhone and I say that it is a great phone but you can't customize an iPhone like a Blackberry. I bought my Torch about 2 weeks ago and I love it. I don't really bother with the tOuchscreen cause I love the QWERTY keypad although the touchscreen is a plus feature. It works wonderfully. My reason for buying it is the organization and notifications of the Torch. To me I feel that a Torch is more of a business phone that helps you maintain your everyday life. An iPhone feels more like a video & game phone. Altough the iPhone have more amazing Apps than Blackberry it really depends what you are looking for in a phone. Also another PLUS PLUS feature that I love so much is the Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint application. I am attending school and this feature is awesome. When I had the iPhone I was trying to find a Microsoft Apps but couldn't but I don't know if that features been added or created yet. I hope this helps a little from my experience.

There is an office app for iphone also customizing on an iphone is possible after jailbreak. not to say the torch isn't a good phone just clearing up that they are both capable of basically the same functions and the deciding factor really comes down to OS and form factor, which both affect how you use the features
    01-26-11 06:28 PM
    Better option for what? All depends what the op wants in a phone so either one could be the better option. Where did you get your facts cause ip4 definitely has the better battery and that toy comment....old, really old!

Hmm..so far any message service I used on my phone had the option to disable the on-screen notifications, no need to jailbreak the phone for that.
    01-26-11 06:46 PM
    Hmmm... my iPhone 4 does great with email for both work and personal. Toy argument is getting honestly so very old. I don't play games on my phone. I have it jailbroken and the phone is simply sweet being able to customize the crap out of it. Web browsing does circles around the Torch. Obviously the iPhone is amazing at multimedia especially with the Retina display. My iphone has better battery life then the Torch. I had a Torch for a few months.
    +1 Just cause you can play a few games and have a little fun on your smartphone doesn't make it a toy.
    01-26-11 07:46 PM
    This is how I see it.

If you need to be notified every time you get an email or FB msgs without even looking at the phone, go for the Torch. I you don't care about knowing exactly when those things happen then get a iphone point blank.

I had the same dilemma a while back, left BB and went to the ip4 for about 2 mths, I swore the sun rises and sets on this thing...until I had to actually go into my email folder and wait for it to receive emails at times, yes I had it set to push but it's simply not a bb. The screen is amazing the apps are amazing the web is amazing the "work horse" feel to it....not so much.
    I bought a Torch and feel a whole lot more "connected" if that makes sense. Mind you I still have both and still use my ip4 to review some resumes just cause the bb truncates some but if I had to get rid of 1, it would be the ip4.

Just my 0.02
    01-27-11 05:47 AM
    It all depends upon your needs. Whichever one you decide to get, it will be a great device. The i4 will never have the secure messaging platform of the Torch. I chose the Torch because it is a superior messaging device with a pretty decent multi-media side which is improving with each generation. You should not have to jailbreak a device to get the native functionality available on other devices. I don't believe Apple will service a jailbroken device if needed. With the i4 and jail-breaking aside, you are stuck with whatever Apple decides that you need rather than you deciding what you want. For example, while the Torch does not have as much onboard storage, you can add more. I have 4GB onboard plus a 32GB card. The amount of onboard storage increases with each RIM device generation. The maximum on the i4 is 32GB. I do not believe that there is a 64GB iPhone available...yet.

01-27-11 06:31 AM
    that toy comment....old, really old!

Really? Is it finally? I sure am glad. The 1st time out of just about every supporter of the iphone is "apps" "100,000s of apps". Communications is around the bottom of the list of likes. So yea when its called a toy it comes from the mouths of iphone supporters.
    I can't count the times when asked "well what apps you like, or have, use" and I look just to find the same apps are for the BB. Or my question goes unanswered. The fact is the BBs is just as fun and has "the" apps too. Its just the trend of bb users to put the communications 1st on the list.

01-27-11 08:17 AM
38 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD