So far, I've had the phone since the 12th, and while overall it is pretty good, I need to figure out how to make some changes in the way I use the phone to avoid getting totally frustrated by it.

#1. Locking the phone using the button on the top of the phone.. I do this, put it in a pocket, and then somehow it becomes unlocked. The only way it truly stays locked is if I password lock it. Anyone else have this issue? Is it possible that the lock button is being depressed again unlocking the phone, and then the touch screen is active, and merely walking around changes settings, etc.??

#2. The red blinking message indicator light. I see the redlight blinking, I think I have emails, but no, I have tweets. Can I shut off the notification of any tweets, etc. I just want it to blink if I have voicemails or emails. I follow enough, that it's likely to blink continually.

#3. Clearing out the notifications. I open my phone and I see that I have new notifications for 'social feeds' (new tweets). If I go into the twitter app, and read the latest tweets, it does not clear out the notification. The only way to clear the notification is to touch the notification (right under the clock - which my finger doesnt consistantly hit) and then hit the new tweets bar from there. Solving number 2 fixes number 3, but what a pain.

#4. Related to #1, if your phone is not locked, it's way too easy to (mistakenly) touch the top of the screen (in a pocket, etc) and then have a screen pop up where the only active button is the "Turn all connections off" button. So if you brush the face of the phone, you might be inadvertently disconnected. (have had this happen a couple of times) It's equally easy to have the ringer setting changed - but I have only done that once.

#5. I used to wear a holster for my 9000, but I wasn't happy with any of the holster options at the ATT store - and maybe having it holstered might solve some of the pocket gremlin issues. Anyone find any good holsters that work with the torch. Many I tried were either a little too tight a fit for the phone, or the plastic belt clasp seemed much to firm, and I foresaw them damaging my belts (more than the spring loaded one on my 9000 did). Ideally, I'd like a leather covered clasp, so the leather on leather doesn't do so much damage.

Not to be too much of a negative nellie, I do like the phone and like some aspects of the new operating system, just have to get into a workflow that doesn't frustrate me. At least on my wifes iPhone (not to enrage the loyalists with another comparison), there is the slider bar you have to slide to open the phone, and even then, you cant accidently turn the phone antenna off.
    08-17-10 09:37 AM
    So far, I've had the phone since the 12th, and while overall it is pretty good, I need to figure out how to make some changes in the way I use the phone to avoid getting totally frustrated by it.

#1. Locking the phone using the button on the top of the phone.. I do this, put it in a pocket, and then somehow it becomes unlocked. The only way it truly stays locked is if I password lock it. Anyone else have this issue? Is it possible that the lock button is being depressed again unlocking the phone, and then the touch screen is active, and merely walking around changes settings, etc.??

#2. The red blinking message indicator light. I see the redlight blinking, I think I have emails, but no, I have tweets. Can I shut off the notification of any tweets, etc. I just want it to blink if I have voicemails or emails. I follow enough, that it's likely to blink continually.

#3. Clearing out the notifications. I open my phone and I see that I have new notifications for 'social feeds' (new tweets). If I go into the twitter app, and read the latest tweets, it does not clear out the notification. The only way to clear the notification is to touch the notification (right under the clock - which my finger doesnt consistantly hit) and then hit the new tweets bar from there. Solving number 2 fixes number 3, but what a pain.

#4. Related to #1, if your phone is not locked, it's way too easy to (mistakenly) touch the top of the screen (in a pocket, etc) and then have a screen pop up where the only active button is the "Turn all connections off" button. So if you brush the face of the phone, you might be inadvertently disconnected. (have had this happen a couple of times) It's equally easy to have the ringer setting changed - but I have only done that once.

#5. I used to wear a holster for my 9000, but I wasn't happy with any of the holster options at the ATT store - and maybe having it holstered might solve some of the pocket gremlin issues. Anyone find any good holsters that work with the torch. Many I tried were either a little too tight a fit for the phone, or the plastic belt clasp seemed much to firm, and I foresaw them damaging my belts (more than the spring loaded one on my 9000 did). Ideally, I'd like a leather covered clasp, so the leather on leather doesn't do so much damage.

Not to be too much of a negative nellie, I do like the phone and like some aspects of the new operating system, just have to get into a workflow that doesn't frustrate me. At least on my wifes iPhone (not to enrage the loyalists with another comparison), there is the slider bar you have to slide to open the phone, and even then, you cant accidently turn the phone antenna off.
    #1 - From what I've been reading, it's attributed to the sensitive lock key on the top. So yes, that is very possible.

#2 - this is going to come with the territory I believe. Unless you choose to turn off the Social Feeds alerts, I don't think there's any other individual way to turn off the alerts. Possibly check the options under your Twitter app.

#3 - I believe if you go to the very top of your notifications list, and hit Options>mark previous as read. That should help.

#4 - get a case of some sort, only thing I can suggest.

#5 - I use my 9000 case, and it's been the best since my 9000. The torch is obviously smaller, but it does what most need it to do - Hold it, and put it in sleep mode (I keep the screen turned in and when I close the flap it goes into sleep mode).

I would think that there can be and will be some additions in upcoming OS releases that would mend any issues related to the software. This device is only under a week old. It may just take some time.
    08-17-10 09:50 AM
    1. Check out "Pattern Lock" (search the forum).
    2. Control the LED by adjusting settings in your sound profiles.
    3. (resolved w/#2 above, I believe)
    4. (resolved w/#1 above)
    5. There is an official OEM holster which should be available "soon."
    08-17-10 09:53 AM
    1. Check out "Pattern Lock" (search the forum).
    2. Control the LED by adjusting settings in your sound profiles.
    3. (resolved w/#2 above, I believe)
    4. (resolved w/#1 above)
    5. There is an official OEM holster which should be available "soon."

Thanks - was able to shut off the twitter feed notifications..

Did a search for patternlock - and is it just me or is there not a version available compatable with the Torch??

Additionally, my company forces a password lock onto my phone that engages after 15 minutes or so, and as I cannot disable that, would that create a conflict with the PatternLock application??
    08-17-10 10:42 AM
    I really like the 9700 holster with my Torch. Luckily my brother-in-law had an extra that he gave me. Only thing that stinks about it, is that you can't plug it in while in the holster.
    08-17-10 10:45 AM
    I don't have a Torch yet, but I did find this app, which is compatible with the Torch.
    08-17-10 10:48 AM
    Did a search for patternlock - and is it just me or is there not a version available compatable with the Torch??
    Additionally, my company forces a password lock onto my phone that engages after 15 minutes or so, and as I cannot disable that, would that create a conflict with the PatternLock application??
    The storm version of PatternLock works fine for me. There's also an iphone-style "Berry Slider" app, also originally designed for the Storm.

I don't think either will interfere with the native blackberry password lock.
    08-17-10 10:56 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD