I would have an issue with no physical keyboard since my virtual keyboard proficiency is only getting marginally better. That is primarily because my smartphone experience has been limited to devices with physical keyboards. Again, it comes down to testing it yourself and deciding if the HD screen/camera and warpspeed processor are more important than secured messaging and multi-tasking. Having the trackpad also makes for more precise navigation especially when web browsing.
    10-27-10 10:22 AM
    Hi all, well up until today it was Torch all the way for me next week come upgrade time - however I've just seen the N8 and it seems to have an impressive spec list - plus I've just had a go on a couple of HTCs my office mates have got and they are well fast - but they dont look as good to me.

So basically now being in a quandry as to what to go for next week I trundled off to my local store get a demo.

I asked for the Torch first as that was what I originally looking at - must say I was mighty impressed by the build, the feel etc - the slide felt solid - keys a little small, but then I guess you adapt how you press. Unfortunatly the battery was flat so no demo of it powered up.

Then the N8 - well bags of goodies with that, again a decent size, feel etc - but again no charge in the battery for a live demo.

I've currently got a samsung i8910hd - which whilst for all the fanfare at release has become a major letdown as samsung are absolutly pathetic when it comes to support - it used to work on ovi but now the site tells you the phone is unsupported by them so you can't load apps. Samsungs even own app site doesnt support the phone - you can only get apps on it if you hack the phone - I mean what's all that about.

Anyhow makes me a biut nervous going the ovi route.

However blackberry - well not many apps there, and from looking around not many free ones at that.

So what am I after?

Well just non biased pointers please if you could spare 10 seconds to reply to help me decide which way to go considering now they've been out for a while so there should be plenty of experience out there.

Thanks all
    10-27-10 11:13 AM
    Iv had HTC phones and last phone was a Nokia 5800 but now have the Torch.
    HTC Touch Dual phone was a Windows 6 phone but was same format as the Torch a slider only without the qwerty keys,great phone build quality was brill, loved it and still got it but needed a newer model.so i tried the Nokia 5800 another good phone but i didnt get on with just being a Touch screen so i dont think would of liked the N8 because of that, the best bit about the Nokia was Nokia Maps.The Ovi store will have more apps for the N8 as time goes by.
    So i got a Torch same format as HTC Touch Dual only bigger screen and i like it i dont load a lot of apps on the phone just the ones i will need.
    If you decide to have a HTC i would go for the new Windows 7.i would not touch any Android phone now i know what permissions they need to have to install on a Blackberry Torch eg.Google maps etc and it was not just for location either nosey sods.
    In the end it will depend on what your needs are in a phone and i found mine in the Torch got all i want a slider format with a choice of inputs touchscreen or keyboard.
    ps this took more than 10 seconds to write. lol
    blockbuy likes this.
    10-27-10 12:13 PM
    I used to have only NOKIA phones, but lets be honest, the mail services suck, literaly suck, it stops working mail dont get sent, etc, they have a horrible customer service, personaly I use a lot facebook and the facebook app with NOKIA it really sucks, I've recently change to a BB Torch and OMG in can't be happier, but you now buying a new phone is quite personal so you must know want you want out of your phone. Cheers and good luck mate.
    blockbuy likes this.
    10-27-10 12:59 PM
    Don't get too lost in the specs. The goodies aren't much good if there are too many "bugs" and poor battery life. It has been a while since I have carried Nokia although I like the one that has a button which when pushed pops up part of the phone to answer it. That would be good feature to answer the Torch and make the physical keyboard available. The best thing to do is to try each one out and then decide which meets your needs best.
    blockbuy likes this.
    10-27-10 02:14 PM
    The n8 looks and sounds like a fantastic phone. The camera is insanely good. I was debating going with it as well. Decided I'll try the torch and if I didnt like it, Id go with the n8. Well Ive been very happy with the torch so not even thinking about the n8 at all.
    Now when the Meego phones start coming out, thats a different story. Meego vs Qnx. Going to be a very tough call.2011 is gonna be great and expensive. :/
    blockbuy likes this.
    10-27-10 02:34 PM
    I've played with the Torch on several occasions, pushing it.
    And just today I played with the N8 for a good +30min.

I opened up 28 apps on the N8 and then did some browsing. The phone became quite unresponsive, and it semi-hung on me on a couple of occasions (=didn't respond to any input for around 30sec).

I've done similar tests on the Torch, with a couple of browser tabs open, and it runs MUCH better under load.

BB6 has a much nicer and smoother UI than Symbian at this point, without a doubt. It also runs and responds faster to taps, including change of screen orientation. The browser is also noticeably better on the Torch (and that's not taking into account the fact that you can't open up multiple tabs on the N8).
    Calendar, notifications, etc (=PIM apps) are infinitely better on the Torch.

So objectively, Torch is the better phone.

But given some limitations on the BB (such as limits in downloads of the podcasts, if I'm not mistaken, and questions-marks regarding what video formats it can play out of the box) makes me hesitant. But if it weren't for this, I would go with the Torch without thinking twice about it. As it stands now though, I am not sure, though I'd go with the C7 (due any day now) instead of the N8.
    blockbuy likes this.
    10-27-10 03:40 PM
    I would have an issue with no physical keyboard since my virtual keyboard proficiency is only getting marginally better. That is primarily because my smartphone experience has been limited to devices with physical keyboards. Again, it comes down to testing it yourself and deciding if the HD screen/camera and warpspeed processor are more important than secured messaging and multi-tasking. Having the trackpad also makes for more precise navigation especially when web browsing.
    10-27-10 05:22 PM
    Hi guys, you too kind - really appreciate the feedback.

Popped into the orange shop after posting yesterday and the lady plumped straight away for the Torch. I was a little suspicious so I asked for a spec comparison. As she read out the list it was obvious that in many on the face of it aspects the N8 came out on top (16gb, 12mp camera, battery life etc etc), so I challenged here choice 9as you do). Anyhwo fair play she still said the BB was better.

Anyhow - then cam the price - �199 for the BB, �99 for the N8. Lol, could see straight away why she favoured the BB despite the obvious marketing differences. So I said thanks and left (I'll probably haggle online with Orange anyhow for whatever I want as there' network competition for both phones)

Anyhow, few bevvies after work last night and a mate pulls out his new phone - N8 - I grabbed it to have look and a good play. To be honest as I've an i8910hd the OS wasn't too difficult to get familiar with - in fact the options are pretty much the same. Was impressed with the lightness, speed etc. But then what keeps coming back to me is how poor ovi is - in fact I couldn't find the ovi or widget app - in fact couldn't find any apps unless I dug deep down into settings and stuff so in that respect a minus. (Edit - just had a go without the influence of guiness....you edit a home page and add your apps to it there)

I think tho as professional looks go the Torch has it. I can live without a zillion apps as all I use is fb, accuweather, endomondo which I see you can get for the bb anyhow. My work has a bb server but it;s for the sales team only, it may expand, so I'll be using bis anyhow in the short term so I guess there's an email app on the bb or would I connect to the web version of exhange???? (roadsync I currently use on the i8910 for connection to exchange).

Think I'll go for the Torch despite the seeming better spec on the N8 - just had enough of all things symbian for now.
    Last edited by blockbuy; 10-28-10 at 04:02 AM.
    10-28-10 03:56 AM
    oh man, just been to the vodafone shop - they let me have a go on a demo one - very very impressed....good solid feel on the slide, build .246, well responsive etc etc ..free for �40/m - sing for that I think.....looks like orange have dropped �50 off their price - �149 and 22.50/m for 24.
    10-28-10 07:42 AM
    i am selling nokia n8's, its nice, but i dont know, not a huge fan of nokia stuff...

i guess i am just a bb lover
    10-28-10 01:33 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD