Ok, so I've made a big error... I was at the toilet, and while BBMing to my PB BBM groupies, I felt the phone slip out of my hand, and then heard a splosh. I realised it had gone in the bog (which was full of sh*t btw, so the thing's probably reeking up the kitchen as we speak, as it's there compleetly covered in a bowl of rice, mum has already said she wouldn't want to use it again, however my �425 phone is my �425 phone, I'll use it regardless of whether or not it's been mixed with poo that came from my backside)...

Here's the thing, my insurance is with Carphone Warehouse... I'm the Max plan (most expensive), and it doesn't cover water damage. Even worse, if I send it to them for repair with an offer to PAY for the repair, they'll just send it back unrepaired... I'm therefore at a stalemate as to who I can go to to get it fixed if this rice doesn't resolve it...

Before the moral police come in, I plan to PAY for any repair/replacement. I would like to therefore know my options.
    03-27-11 06:02 PM
    Well if drying it out doesn't work you can always make it smell less/clean it up a bit and ask carphonewarehouse how much it will cost to replace it. Or you could ask the carrier you are with about warranty.
    03-27-11 06:47 PM
    I bought it from Carphone Warehouse, hence my insurance with them. However the stickers on the phone are blood red. They'll see straight through it. I believe that a replacement for water damage is only replaceable by buying another one as if you were buying it for the frist time (so �425 like I paid for the first one).
    03-27-11 06:57 PM
    Oy! I have no great words of wisdom but I hope that your beloved Torch is resurrected by the rice! And a little wipe with disinfecting wipes wouldn't hurt either! Best of luck!
    03-27-11 07:23 PM
    I've heard of some people's devices going to **** at some point in its life, but was always figurative up till I came across this thread.

I don't have anything to offer other than what you already stated in your OP, as long as you're willing to cover the cost I don't see why this won't have a happy although expensive ending.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-27-11 08:01 PM
    I got no words of advice for ya, but all I can say is ... that'll teach you to try BMing and BBMing at the same time!

Sorry, just couldn't help myself. But damn, that was a real crappy thing to do.

Soz again.

Seriously, make sure the is cover off and battery out and give all at least a full day in the rice bowl, two if your mum can stand the stench in her kitchen. If you have a bright, warm and sunny place to put it, that will help evaporate moisture more quickly and completely, though I can't say it will do much for the smell. If it wasn't submersed in the p00per too long, it may be salvageable.

And for God's sake, whatever happens, throw that rice out.

Good luck.
    03-27-11 08:02 PM
    The most important thing is to let it dry completely before trying to turn it on again.

Hope is not lost though. My brother dropped his iPhone in the pool, let it dry for a couple of days, and it works just fine now.
    03-27-11 08:47 PM
    I got no words of advice for ya, but all I can say is ... that'll teach you to try BMing and BBMing at the same time!

If it wasn't submersed in the p00per too long, it may be salvageable.

And for God's sake, whatever happens, throw that rice out.

Good luck.
    What's BMing? And it spent about 5-7 seconds in the toilet, so should that be OK? It's a deep toilet though.

Also, before I put it in the rice, I took out the battery (the phone was still working after taking it out), and then put it back in and tried to reboot. It wasn't accepting a charge... So I guess the Micro-USB port is dead on it, so if that is the case, will have to take it for repair anyway
    Last edited by Paladinleeds; 03-27-11 at 10:02 PM.
    03-27-11 09:55 PM
    03-27-11 10:06 PM
    What's BMing? And it spent about 5-7 seconds in the toilet, so should that be OK? It's a deep toilet though.

Also, before I put it in the rice, I took out the battery (the phone was still working after taking it out), and then put it back in and tried to reboot. It wasn't accepting a charge... So I guess the Micro-USB port is dead on it, so if that is the case, will have to take it for repair anyway
    Too soon to try to start it up again. Just a bit of moisture in there will muck things up. Back in the rice with it.

BM = bowel movement!

03-27-11 10:16 PM
    Lol if your gonna do your business and use your phone at the same time, move it away from the toilet seat so this doesn't happen again. I do it all the time (hey people read newspapers when they're using the washroom so why not haha) and I always keep it away from the toilet seat, because anything can happen like what happened to the OP. Just a future reference for anyone who does this as well

03-27-11 11:12 PM
    Too soon to try to start it up again. Just a bit of moisture in there will muck things up. Back in the rice with it.

BM = bowel movement!

Don't worry, it is sat in the rice... been sat in there for 10 hours now. Got another 14-38 hours to go...
    03-28-11 03:20 AM

This action, just screwed your phone more then likely. If you pull a battery from a wet phone then reinsert it and try to start it up again, it will more then likely fry something on the circuit board. The usb port is probably fine. The major problem with water damage isnt necessarily the water, but rather the deposits left behind. They can run across the lands(the little runners you see on a board that go from one place to another) on the circuit board and short things out.

Out of curiosity, you said you pay for insurance. Couldn't you just claim you lost it. I did that with my last torch that went for a bath in a deep fat fryer and my insurance sent me a new one(I have Asurion through AT&T, and they have 125$ deductible, but that's better then having to buy it outright).
    03-28-11 06:58 AM
    This action, just screwed your phone more then likely. If you pull a battery from a wet phone then reinsert it and try to start it up again, it will more then likely fry something on the circuit board. The usb port is probably fine. The major problem with water damage isnt necessarily the water, but rather the deposits left behind. They can run across the lands(the little runners you see on a board that go from one place to another) on the circuit board and short things out.

Out of curiosity, you said you pay for insurance. Couldn't you just claim you lost it. I did that with my last torch that went for a bath in a deep fat fryer and my insurance sent me a new one(I have Asurion through AT&T, and they have 125$ deductible, but that's better then having to buy it outright).
    What is not covered:

• The excess you need to pay towards any claim (no excess on mechanical breakdown).
    • Claims for unauthorised use on Pay As You Go tariffs
    • Claims for loss on Pay As You Go tariffs
    • Claims for theft or loss* unless as a customer you;
      - Tell your network provider within 24 hours of discovering the theft or loss*
      - Report the theft or loss* to the police within 48 hours of discovering the theft or loss* and get a crime/loss reference number.
    • Claims made if your mobile is left in a public place or unattended vehicle (unless it is in a locked and concealed boot/luggage compartment or closed glove compartment of a securely locked vehicle which has been broken into by force and violence) .
    • Claims resulting from events which occur more than 60 days after you leave the UK.
    • Mobile accessories not purchased at The Carphone Warehouse.
    • Anything covered under the manufacturer�s warranty.
    • Damage caused by fire, flood, freeze, storm, lightning, explosion, escape of water or events of a similar nature.
    • Malicious damage to your mobile.
    • Loss of stored information such as music, video or photography. .
    • Pay As You Go customers are not covered for loss.

I therefore cannot claim, as it would result in me getting a nice court order due to perverting the course of justice.
    03-28-11 08:35 AM
    Reading that makes me think that the water damage that is referred to is from natural disasters.

Have you actually asked them if water damage is covered?

Seems like pretty crappy insurance if things like this are not covered.

I would call them because something doesn't smell right.

Your situation stinks.

03-28-11 08:47 AM
    What does that insurance cover???????
    03-28-11 08:58 AM
    HAHA Sorry but this thread made me LOL.

You need to hold the phone out in front(at toilet level) of you and NEVER over the water so this won't ever happen again.
    03-28-11 08:58 AM
    The company my insurance is with do NOT repair phones damaged by water period. I read on their site that they don't. However, there is hope.

The Phone Doctor

These guys repair water damaged phones for �46, and they're only on the other side of the city, so about an hour's bus ride.
    03-28-11 09:08 AM
    Lucky guys they.

Oh well. It's a crappy job, but someone has to do it.

03-28-11 09:18 AM
    Lucky guys they.

Oh well. It's a crappy job, but someone has to do it.

Yeah, I don't mind paying �46 to get my Torch sparked back into action. Even happy to pay an extra �4 (so �50) to get it back quicker.
    03-28-11 09:21 AM
    Well , I hope everything comes out ok.

03-28-11 01:51 PM
    Had a bit of a lol at this, but am hoping your phone gets fixed. Please keep us updated ?

03-28-11 02:04 PM
    For their sake, just let them now exactly what happened so they can wear the latex gloves while working on it.
    03-28-11 02:05 PM
    Well guys, 24 hours in the rice, it's all up and running again. Bit slower at loading up, but I think my apps might actually be the real blame for that. Apart from that, the Torch is in pristine condition (a strand a rice got in the latch for the Torch battery door on the phone side in the hole, can't get it out). I'm actually amazed.
    03-28-11 05:36 PM
    Well guys, 24 hours in the rice, it's all up and running again. Bit slower at loading up, but I think my apps might actually be the real blame for that. Apart from that, the Torch is in pristine condition (a strand a rice got in the latch for the Torch battery door on the phone side in the hole, can't get it out). I'm actually amazed.
    Outstanding! And from now on if anyone insults your device saying it's crappy for whatever reason you can just say "yanno, funny story there" and tell it to them while they hold it.

03-28-11 05:39 PM
43 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD