Hey all,

Thought I would post my experiences on getting a Torch off-contract.

First of all I would like to thank everyone that's posted their experiences on they've gotten their phones, without them I probably would have just given up on this after I was denied.

So anyway, I live in Toronto and decided with my buddy that we wanted torches. We called ahead checking stores for stock and prices and finally found the Hamburg Best Buy store (about 20 mins across the border).

We called ahead on thursday and friday confirming they had stock and that they were willing to selling them off contract; they confirmed they were willing to do both. We left for the store on saturday.

Got there, and the salesman was pretty polite. We said we wanted two torches off-contract and he said no problem, they had stock and he would get them. A manager overheard and stopped him and said as of wednesday a few days ago he could not sell them to us off-contract.

My friend took over here and after a long discussion (we asked for something in writing stating this new policy of no selling the phone on contract) he said sorry for any inconvenience we have caused you, we know we are wrong but we can't sell you the phones.

From past experiences on this board I just told him look, we're just going to call Best buy Customer service and deal with them. He said no problem and handed us the phone. Talking with them was a breeze, they said they would allow us to buy it online and just "pick it up" from the store we were at. It was at this point the General Manager (guy we were dealing with before) came back to us and said, oh you know what....we can sell you the phones I just checked again.

I was going to rip him a new ***, but decided whatever, I'm sure he feels dumb enough for this whole ordeal. We purchased our phones and got the **** outta there.

I tried to make that as short as possible haha. Whole thing took us about two hours, 45 mins of nicely discussing the police, 30 mins of yelling, 30 mins on the phone . If you're looking to buy off-contract, go to this store and use this same method I"m sure ull be fine. Stick to your guns. They don't have solid reasons not to sell you the phone.
    08-29-10 12:19 PM
    Awesome! Enjoy your phone! What threads did you read before doing this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-29-10 12:26 PM
    Wow, that manager was a super ****. But congrats on stickin to your guts and not giving up.....you must've really REALLY wanted the Torch. =P

Anyways, be sure to post again in a few days what you think about the phone and what you like/don't like about it, eh? =)
    08-29-10 12:36 PM
    to be honest I read a NUMBER of threads in the past week. Mostly people and their best buy experiences (should be within this 9800 forum).

And yeah to be honest that manager wasn't being "mean" at all. He was just being a smartass calling our bluff. I straight out told him I've been reading threads online and I know what I"m talking about. So either you sell me the phone now, or in a few hours. It's up to you haha.

Yes I will post a review of the phone in a few days. So far so good. VERY happy with the phone and all the functionality.
    08-29-10 02:29 PM
    the phone is doing poor sales wise any retailer should be happy to sell you what they are having trouble selling.
    08-29-10 02:47 PM
    What facts do you have about the phone doing poor?
    08-29-10 03:46 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD