Hello-first time poster here and I have searched the web for this issue with no luck.

I am currently running a Netgear DGN 500 DSL Modem/Wireless Router. My desktop computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable, and I have one laptop connected via wireless. One month ago, I purchased the BB9700 and have used it flawlessly with this Wifi setup. One week ago, I purchased my son an Iphone 4, and it is connected to the same Wifi with no problems.

Two days ago, I purchased the Torch 9800 for my wife. I set her phone up using the same network settings as the 9700 and IP4 connected to our Wifi. A minute or two after I enable the Wifi on the 9800, my internet connection to all devices drops out. On my laptop, the icon that shows connectivity has the icon in the system tray showing no connectivity. Then, I have to disable the Wifi option on the 9800 to allow the router to restart. As long as I have the 9800 Wifi option disabled, the internet connection is fine and works on the desktop, laptop, 9700, and IP4.

I thought this was a coincidence, but I have tried it 5 different times with the same result each time.

I am also running WPA2 security on this modem/router, and use the passphrase to connect to the Wifi on each device.

Could this be a problem with my particular modem/router, or maybe even a phone setting?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    08-15-10 11:09 AM
    It could be an incompatibility with the router. I have a Belkin router that I have no issues with, same thing, WPA2 with password. I'm actually finding the Torch connects to it much quicker than my 9000 and also stays connected, as my Bold would sometimes disconnect for no reason.

I would try and find any family or friends that have a network that you could try recreating the same scenario with all the devices connected to it and see if you have the same kind of problem.
    08-15-10 12:04 PM
    In the past I've had issues with newer laptops connecting to a router with only a local connection & not the internet. This was solved by resetting the router to factory default and setting up the wireless network again. I know this is a pain but it refreshes everything and for some reason some devices may not like the current setup of the WPA/WEP/netowrk. My 0.02. Good luck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-15-10 12:23 PM
    I had the same thing happen to me. My Torch wouldn't connect to the internet but I figured it was an AT&T screw up (occasionally they delete the data package for no apprent rerason) so I called them and after a number of actions I was able to connect to the 3G network only after I had disabled the Wifi connection.

I reset (unplugged) my Motorola Surfboard modem router and everything works fine.

To my knowledge I never had this occur on any of my previous BBs/iPhones, but I could be wrong.

08-15-10 01:21 PM
    Myself and others (with different devices) are having a similar problem in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...95#post5467995
    08-15-10 02:03 PM
    Myself and others (with different devices) are having a similar problem in this thread:

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthr...95#post5467995

It looks like I am not alone with this problem.

Thanks, trevcrev, for the link to the other thread. I will watch that thread and see if anyone has luck with a new/different router.

For now, I'll just leave the Torch disconnected from our wifi.

My wife has now traded phones with me (she wanted the "less complicated" 9700 and gave me her new Torch), and I can do any web surfing with my laptop/desktop until someone gets this figured out.

Other than this issue, so far I love the Torch!

Thanks to all of you for your replies.
    08-15-10 07:59 PM
    I had a weird issue with my device and laptop (both are wireless). For some reason they were getting the same IP address. I set my laptop to static IP and the problem has since disappeared. Not sure why but it worked for me for now at least.
    08-15-10 08:14 PM
    I had a weird issue with my device and laptop (both are wireless). For some reason they were getting the same IP address. I set my laptop to static IP and the problem has since disappeared. Not sure why but it worked for me for now at least.
    Happened to me before. I use my laptop (wireless) and then puyt it in standby for a while. If I go out and return, the BB they grabs an available IP address w/DHCP. Well the laptop, in standby, could conflict if the router assigns the same IP.

You'll be fine with a static IP.
    08-15-10 09:22 PM
    My torch can receive the wifi signal on my house, however when I connect the phone to my laptop it kills my wifi signal to my laptop, I don't get it- please I need some help. BTW awesome forum, this is why I love crackberry.
    08-20-10 08:11 PM
    i would do a HARD reset on the modem..
    the kind when you have to stick a needle or a pen at the back of the router..
    i have no problems with the wi fi connection of my Torch to my Verizon Issued
    modem..
    BUT i just did a hard reset the last friday.. a day after the launch.. since i'm having spotty signals on all devices..
    Now it's working perfectly
    08-20-10 08:44 PM
    Hello-first time poster here and I have searched the web for this issue with no luck.

I am currently running a Netgear DGN 500 DSL Modem/Wireless Router. My desktop computer is connected to the router via ethernet cable, and I have one laptop connected via wireless. One month ago, I purchased the BB9700 and have used it flawlessly with this Wifi setup. One week ago, I purchased my son an Iphone 4, and it is connected to the same Wifi with no problems.

Two days ago, I purchased the Torch 9800 for my wife. I set her phone up using the same network settings as the 9700 and IP4 connected to our Wifi. A minute or two after I enable the Wifi on the 9800, my internet connection to all devices drops out. On my laptop, the icon that shows connectivity has the icon in the system tray showing no connectivity. Then, I have to disable the Wifi option on the 9800 to allow the router to restart. As long as I have the 9800 Wifi option disabled, the internet connection is fine and works on the desktop, laptop, 9700, and IP4.

I thought this was a coincidence, but I have tried it 5 different times with the same result each time.

I am also running WPA2 security on this modem/router, and use the passphrase to connect to the Wifi on each device.

Could this be a problem with my particular modem/router, or maybe even a phone setting?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    @jdr1234 -

Had the exact same thing happen to me except I had a D-Link DIR-615 b/g/n router.

I tried an older b/g router and my Torch and other devices worked fine. No more dropping the router on the other devices.

It might be worth giving it a try if you have an extra router kicking around.
    10-05-10 05:59 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD