That act hasn't passed, and almost certainly won't.

There are hundreds of proposed acts, some bordering on insane, that never see the light of day. This is one of those.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-27-10 11:34 AM
    Or even when i aim a butterfly, how could i take a pic if shutter noise scares it away.
    I don't think it's the shutter noise that scares the butterfly away; it's more likely the giant human/potential predator that is getting a bit too close for comfort
    10-27-10 11:41 AM
    Simply use capture it. Bring up your camera point at what you want to take a pic of and from the blackberry menu run capture it and take a screenshot! The phone will just vibrate.
    11-30-10 08:30 PM
    could someone not edit a cod file or something to replace the sound with a silent sound?
    01-20-11 07:12 PM
    This is correct.

All digital cameras (at least in the US) are required by law to make a shutter sound when taking a photo.
    HR 414. aka the Camera Phone Predator Alert Act

To require mobile phones containing digital cameras to make a sound when a photograph is taken.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the `Camera Phone Predator Alert Act'.

SEC. 2. FINDING.

Congress finds that children and adolescents have been exploited by photographs taken in dressing rooms and public places with the use of a camera phone.

SEC. 3. AUDIBLE SOUND STANDARD.

(a) Requirement- Beginning 1 year after the date of enactment of this Act, any mobile phone containing a digital camera that is manufactured for sale in the United States shall sound a tone or other sound audible within a reasonable radius of the phone whenever a photograph is taken with the camera in such phone. A mobile phone manufactured after such date shall not be equipped with a means of disabling or silencing such tone or sound.

(b) Enforcement by Consumer Product Safety Commission- The requirement in subsection (a) shall be treated as a consumer product safety standard promulgated by the Consumer Product Safety Commission under section 7 of the Consumer Product Safety Act (15 U.S.C. 2056). A violation of subsection (a) shall be enforced by the Commission under section 19 of such Act (15 U.S.C. 2068).
    03-17-11 04:08 PM
    While the act may not have passed in the US, there ARE countries that DO have such laws in effect. Rather than put out different hardware, and/or firmware for specific countries, RIM simply chose to default enable it in their system so that they could sell in all countries, and so that someone say from the US (which does not have the law) who goes to Japan (which I believe does have the law) does not get arrested because of a little known law.
    So far no one has come out with an app to stop it, but they have in the past. No point in whining about it, just deal with it, or plug in a headset until someone does come out with an app.
    04-04-11 10:14 AM
    wondering can we just delete the file for this shutter sound somewhere in the os?
    04-24-11 06:32 AM
    wondering can we just delete the file for this shutter sound somewhere in the os?
    If you think you have the knowledge go for it. I seriously doubt its a single file in the OS. Its more then likely bundled with the ringtones and such or part of the core camera file.
    04-24-11 07:58 AM
    i believe RIM did it because of corporate security, not predators. that way, no one can take photos of confidential information and the likes without being noticed.
    05-03-11 01:51 AM
    i believe RIM did it because of corporate security, not predators. that way, no one can take photos of confidential information and the likes without being noticed.
    That was one reason, the other being that there is a law in Japan which requires devices to make a sound when a device takes a photo, and it cannot be muted (so says the law), Korea may have passed a law of their own regarding this, but I have no source which says so in clear english.

There is a method to mute the camera sound, however it's a bit of a pain, and has been around since 4.6, Hold the "1" key to call voicemail, enter your passcode if required, and then enter the camera app, and take photos, you'll hear the noise played through the ear piece, however it won't be audible to most people, as it'll be at your earpiece call volume.

Be advised voicemail will disconnect you after a period if you don't press any keys, and when your disconnected the sound will then play through the regular speaker as per normal.
    05-05-11 04:39 AM
35 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD