I just bought my torch and the camera doesnt work i dont know if it is a sofeware problem or a hardware problem i get the error of :"Could not start camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again" any help much apprieated thanks
    mahesh25 likes this.
    08-31-10 09:48 AM
    The first step is to do a battery pull and see if you still have the problem. Can't tell if you've done that.
    08-31-10 11:05 AM
    I tried tons of battery pulls nothing i tried upgarding my firmware but 6.0.0.161 doesnt update I dont know what else to do
    08-31-10 01:37 PM
    I just bought my torch and the camera doesnt work i dont know if it is a sofeware problem or a hardware problem i get the error of :"Could not start camera. Close other applications and try opening the camera again" any help much apprieated thanks
    Return it for a new one. It's a hardware problem.
    08-31-10 02:49 PM
    It happened to me once. I removed suspect applications that I didn't need or want and it hasn't happened since.
    08-31-10 04:57 PM
    I haven't heard of that problem but I would definitely exchange it, especially in your return/exchange period.
    08-31-10 05:57 PM
    mine as well. The video works but I can't take stills. This happened after I installed several different apps. I've pulled the battery and removed suspect apps. Still doesn't work. Exchanging it today.
    09-09-10 07:43 AM
    I'd try a wipe and either reinstall your OS or upgrade to .214 - restore apps manually to see if the camera issue happens before you install them. Then install apps one by one and see if you can pin down which app is causing it, if any.
    09-09-10 09:13 AM
    I posted on this same problem in another thread but will post here too because it seems more related to this thread than the other.

I love my new torch and received it as a birthday gift tonight. But my camera doesn't work! I've only had it out of the box a few hours and everything else seems to be working just fine but the camera and video camera. When I enter the camera app, I get a black screen and the center camera icon is grayed out so I can't even try to take a photo. When I try to go to the video camera, I get a message saying "another application is using the camera. Cannot start video camera viewfinder." I've tried battery pulls and data wipes to no avail. In fact that seems to have made it worse because when I first got the torch, I used to be able to initiate the location tag for photos. But after the data wipe, that icon is now grayed out as well.
    Help! (Thanks!)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-13-10 02:59 AM
    You can either wipe and reinstall the OS and see if that helps - or return it and swap for a new device. If the wipe doesn't fix it, it's a hardware problem.
    09-13-10 09:34 AM
    Thanks for the suggestion Jeffreii. I had tried to do a data wipe and battery pull with no luck. Had to take the phone back to AT&T store where we were eventually told that about 1 in 12,000 Torches have a hardware problem with the camera. Apparently I won that lottery. But I have a new Torch and it's great!
    09-14-10 03:23 AM
    Just to add to this thread

New BB Torch (2 days old) camera ONLY worked when I set the scene mode to Face detection
    If I set any other settings the camera, it didn't work
    The zoom and flash light would work, but no snap!
    Note - The video camera would work
    about to go bouncing back to the store then read the info on here - REBOOT (took out the battery while the phone was turned on)
    made a coffee and yes it done the trick
    all working now thanks guys
    Oh phone details
    BlackBerry Torch 9800
    software ver 6.0.0.246
    using Vodafone on u.k. network
    now I got to DELETE all those silly test pictures!
    Thanks
    TCreba and berryap like this.
    11-09-10 04:00 AM
    I have the same issue my blackberry torch camera will not work it keeps sayin " Could not start camera close other applications and try i opening the camera again
    11-10-10 06:31 PM

New BB Torch (2 days old) camera ONLY worked when I set the scene mode to Face detection
    about to go bouncing back to the store then read the info on here - REBOOT (took out the battery while the phone was turned on)
    Oh phone details
    BlackBerry Torch 9800
    software ver 6.0.0.246

Thanks
    Thanks, this helped me, I was having the same issue!
    11-17-10 12:43 PM
    Wipe the device using BBSAK, then install the latest OS 337.

It is very fast, and has slightly better battery life.
    11-17-10 01:03 PM
    I'm having problems with mine taking pics of fidgety objects! Not sure if this is just how it is (didn't have the problem with my old 8310), but it will freeze a frame, but the actual pic is of the rescue dogs' behinds as they wander off! Have tried the sport setting, too, same thing. Is this how it is supposed to work?

I am also having problems with the screen being black, then I give it a little shake and it comes on. Surely that is not normal! Have pulled the battery, no change.

Just got it last Friday and having a handful of very frustrating issues. Had a difficult time deciding between the Torch and an iPhone, stuck with BB and am now having some regrets. Chose BB, because it need it mainly as a phone, a little texting, and a little looking up things on the web when stuck at my property in the boonies. If that's all I've used and am having problems, kinda worried about what I'll get when trying out the rest of it!
    11-17-10 10:43 PM
    I'm having problems with mine taking pics of fidgety objects! Not sure if this is just how it is (didn't have the problem with my old 8310), but it will freeze a frame, but the actual pic is of the rescue dogs' behinds as they wander off! Have tried the sport setting, too, same thing. Is this how it is supposed to work?

I am also having problems with the screen being black, then I give it a little shake and it comes on. Surely that is not normal! Have pulled the battery, no change.

Just got it last Friday and having a handful of very frustrating issues. Had a difficult time deciding between the Torch and an iPhone, stuck with BB and am now having some regrets. Chose BB, because it need it mainly as a phone, a little texting, and a little looking up things on the web when stuck at my property in the boonies. If that's all I've used and am having problems, kinda worried about what I'll get when trying out the rest of it!
    If you have to shake it to work, then I advise you to return it. Show the phone salesman how it's not working and you gotta shake it around and stuff. No software or system update gonna fix that.
    11-17-10 10:52 PM
    I'll take it to the store tomorrow and see what they say...probably won't act up then, as usual. It was frustrating trying out phones at the AT&T store, because they had security devices on the phones with the keyboards open, so you couldn't trying out the sliding mechanisms and some weren't online.
    11-17-10 11:13 PM

Oh phone details
    BlackBerry Torch 9800
    software ver 6.0.0.246
    using Vodafone on u.k. network
    now I got to DELETE all those silly test pictures!
    Thanks
    did the face detection...n now camera works fine....thanks
    11-21-10 06:56 PM
    My camera works SOMETIMES?

I use the hardware button on the side. I click it to take the picture, it auto-focuses and turns on the flash but will just STAY LIKE THAT... I keep the button pressed down, it never SNAPS the picture.

Battery Pull, Etc... No love?

HELP!

EDIT *** I pulled it again and it started working, FOR NOW ***

Seems like saving to the SD card may be an issue or some program messing around (tho I do not have much installed).

I will re-post if it happens again.
    Last edited by mcfz; 11-27-10 at 12:58 PM.
    11-27-10 12:46 PM
    My camera works SOMETIMES?

I use the hardware button on the side. I click it to take the picture, it auto-focuses and turns on the flash but will just STAY LIKE THAT... I keep the button pressed down, it never SNAPS the picture.

Battery Pull, Etc... No love?

HELP!

EDIT *** I pulled it again and it started working, FOR NOW ***

Seems like saving to the SD card may be an issue or some program messing around (tho I do not have much installed).

I will re-post if it happens again.
    I have that problem, too. Sometimes the pics take, sometimes they don't. Today, I had a black screen when switching to sport mode. When I returned to the AT&T store, all 3 cameras on display were doing the same thing and the sales guy said if I exchanged the phone, I would likely have the same issues!

Overall, very disappointed in the camera. I carry a camera when I know I'll be taking pics, but still require a phone that will take a decent pic. My old Curve was great. Between the camera and the phone having a mind of its own at times (trackpad and opening the browser/surfing on its own), I am glad I'm still within the 30 days! (Battery pulls don't solve the problems and I am on OS 246)
    11-28-10 01:11 AM
    I will keep and eye on it. It is an annoyance. Is there a software I can use to reboot so I do not have to pull the battery? Lol

11-28-10 07:28 AM
    I will keep and eye on it. It is an annoyance. Is there a software I can use to reboot so I do not have to pull the battery? Lol

There are a ton of apps that will tell you they "simulate" battery pulls. No app can simulate what an actual battery pull does. Most apps do a soft reset or the same thing has pressing and holding the power key or pressing the alt + right shift + del key.

In my opinion.. save your money and just either pull the battery, or do the 3 buttons for a soft reset.
    11-28-10 08:09 AM
    I see, so battery pull it is!

11-28-10 08:11 AM
    I just got a blackberry torch and the camera lens moved inside the phone to where it looks like a half moon now. The Camera pics come out half black. Any suggestions???
    12-28-10 06:23 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD