Just wanted to follow up with the group.

My average temperature was between 89 and 94 F. Even with moderate usage.

Today the phone's temperature went to 114 F. This was out of the sunlight and inside my air conditioned car as I drove. And for those who are concerned about proper holding, it was resting in my cup holder.

I'm not sure what the tolerable range is but during this time I couldn't stay connected on the phone for more than 5 seconds or so and data wasn't working despite the phone saying it had full 3G signal. I traveled over 20 miles and was likely hitting multiple towers so I doubt it was a tower problem. It appeared that any time I put a load on the device it would fail.

All in all I decided to take the Torch back for an exchange. The ATT staff was wonderful and assisted me with the exchange. Thanks to this post I get the sense that my phone was hotter than most and likely had some type of issue outside of any normal bugs.

I'll likely not update this post with status of my new phone unless it too has a heat issue, which I doubt. This way the post can rest and I'll keep from bugging people.

Just wanted to say thanks to those who shared their insight and thoughts on this issue. When I told the ATT staff that we discussed the issue here on Crackberry they said it was the best resource for Blackberry users ever.

Thanks!
    09-01-10 09:52 PM
    I am the BB administrator and have recently been rolling out the Torch. I have some with no complaints and others claiming very hot situations. One claims to be fearful of fire. He says his gets hottest when NOT in use. While doing (seemingly) nothing.

I might have to agree that the WIFI may be the culprit, but have not completed my investigation. Will update once I have completed.

If I cannot provide a reasonable answer, it will go back to ATT.
    09-14-10 09:17 AM
    Where can I find BatteryEx? I looked in the Crackberry store, BB App World and AT&T AppCenter. Did I miss it somehow?

Edit: Nevermind I found it
    Last edited by fayedstny; 09-14-10 at 02:28 PM.
    09-14-10 02:26 PM
    My torch got heated when I attempted to scan a pin bar code and it locked up. I ran hot for about 10 mins and I had to do battery pull to stop it.
    09-14-10 11:36 PM
    my torch gets really hot with phone call use. texting BBM etc seems fine. batttery meters says the battery is getting up to 102 though feels cool to the touch. got a new battery - no improvement. haven't lost data or connectivity. hope somebody can figure this out.
    09-21-10 04:24 PM
    My Torch gets hot while watching youtube or using any other data intensive app . The battery temp is normal..mine gets hot at the bottom , behind the keyboard. I'm no expert, but I'm guessing its the processor. It's definitely not the battery on mine. ,

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-21-10 04:42 PM
    i checked with AT&T. they say it is not a known issue. is there some sort of threshold for it to become a known issue?

My overheating appears to be only caused by phone calls. browsing etc doesn't overheat it and that's when i'm on wifi usually. i have wifi turned on and often make calls while it's connected to wifi but ph calls don't use wifi - do they?
    Last edited by granmo1354; 09-21-10 at 05:30 PM.
    09-21-10 05:07 PM
    I can reproduce the heater feature by uploading a 10 minute video to youtube... I asked Rogers, they said it should not heat up and may be something to do with the initial software build on the device. They suggested I reload the software and if it doesn't fix it they would replace the phone... I've reloaded the build and the same thing happens - but not sure if I want to go through the hassle of replacing the device - sounds like its not terribly uncommon

I hope a new build get offered soon - if that don't fix it I'll make use of the 1 year replacement warranty
    11-07-10 04:48 PM
    my phone eventually stopped working. wouldn't get on the network, though seemed to be ok on wi-fi. had to get a new phone. this one is fine though still actually gets hotter than anything else I have ever used.
    11-08-10 07:26 AM
    I had this problem when using the browser over wifi. I had a few tabs open and then it got really hot. Hot enough to be quite uncomfortable in my hands. I don't know what causing it, be it the wifi or cpu working in overdrive, but that just shouldn't happen. I'm going to call Rogers and ask for a replacement.
    11-08-10 01:19 PM
    Didn't notice any issues until I got a case, I've noticed that close to the bottom where one of the antenna receiver is it gets prety warm,
    11-08-10 05:37 PM
    Hi,

I'm from peru and i have the same problem, my new BB torch getting hot after 5 or 10 minutes of normal use, the hot zone is behind the keyboard.
    The carrier had already changed me to another new Torch, but the problem is the same.
    11-29-10 03:36 PM
    My Torch got super hot today after 30 mins of use. I lost data services (again) and did a battery pull for 10 minutes. Things settled down and data returned in about an hour.

Anyone else felt the Torch heating up (actually getting hot)?

Yes I do experience a lot of problems while I am on extended conversations, it gets hot ,drops calls, starts to dial other numbers, and this is not a joke.
    This phone is only for Hi &Bye conversations..
    12-02-10 12:07 AM
    @OP - I know you said you returned the phone, but the thing is that the heating was most likely a symptom of something else that was wrong with the device. You said that you had to do a battery pull to solve some other issue, which is what was most likely stressing the device and therefore the reason for it getting hot.
    My phone gets hot if I'm on a very long call or if I've got several applications active simultaneously, but that is to be expected. In your case, I think there was some internal issue that was being manifested by the overheating you experienced. They are, after all, nothing more than tiny computers with a radio attached.
    12-02-10 05:29 AM
    My 9800 has never been "hot" or even warm and I've definitely spent over an hour+ playing on the phone (emails, texts, facebook, twitter, etc).
    12-02-10 05:46 AM
    The back of my 9650 (over the bottom area of the device) gets quite warm during web session's, such as perusing the Crackberry forums. Right now, I can feel it warming as I type this post. I don't recall this happening when I was running OS 5. I wonder if the processor RIM uses struggles with OS 6 in spite of the upgrades.

12-02-10 06:14 AM
    On my phone it doesn't feel like the battery is getting hot mainly because I can take the backplate off and tell it's not hot, but rather the phone bellow the battery behind the keyboard gets hot.

12-02-10 12:40 PM
    On my phone it doesn't feel like the battery is getting hot mainly because I can take the backplate off and tell it's not hot, but rather the phone bellow the battery behind the keyboard gets hot.

Exactly! I know it's not the battery with me. The battery is behind the top of the device. It is down at the bottom on the 9650 as well.

12-03-10 05:49 AM
    Yes I do experience a lot of problems while I am on extended conversations, it gets hot ,drops calls, starts to dial other numbers, and this is not a joke.
    This phone is only for Hi &Bye conversations..
    Not to bring back an old thread, but after being on a phone call for 29 minutes my phone got very hot and actually started putting the called on hold which got pretty frustrating to the caller and myself.

Also, my device is in a AGF GRT case
    Last edited by garyf33; 12-11-10 at 05:12 PM.
    12-11-10 05:08 PM
    I personally would take it back. Mine get's warm, meaning it's temp is running about 92 to 101 sometimes. I must have been very lucky as I'm on my phone constantly and use the phone itself for 2+hrs at a time even plugged in and charging. Still I hit temps avg of 101, 102 as someone pointed out and my opinion is the cpu is located there. I find it a poor design but I'm kind of curious as to where they might have relocated the processor in the device. Also I use meterberry and love it guys. Just my 2 cents wish I could help more. Personally take it back till you get one that works correcly oh and mine is from Mexico one of the first 9800's.
    12-11-10 08:36 PM
    I personally would take it back. Mine get's warm, meaning it's temp is running about 92 to 101 sometimes. I must have been very lucky as I'm on my phone constantly and use the phone itself for 2+hrs at a time even plugged in and charging. Still I hit temps avg of 101, 102 as someone pointed out and my opinion is the cpu is located there. I find it a poor design but I'm kind of curious as to where they might have relocated the processor in the device. Also I use meterberry and love it guys. Just my 2 cents wish I could help more. Personally take it back till you get one that works correcly oh and mine is from Mexico one of the first 9800's.
    Do you have your device in any kind of case or not?
    12-11-10 10:58 PM
    Mine even after using it constantly for about 30 minutes with music and streaming video, while having the Torch in a case doesn't get that hot. It gets only to around 92. I would say take it back and try to get a new one or just get a replacement at least
    12-12-10 12:12 AM
    Cruel joke by RIMM
    My torch is getting hot: duh its a friken torch!!! Ughhh I have a real love/hate relationship wh this thing

03-04-11 10:08 PM
    There's a lot of info here and a lot of people with the same problem as I'm experiencing...I don't think its the battery either but my question is whether this is harmful or not? For me it normally happens when I'm streaming pandora and using bluetooth to send to speaker device...it doesn't get as hot without the case..but should I not do this? I'm concerned it will damage the phone...but I'd like to be able to use the capabilities...any advice?

03-25-11 02:45 PM
    The phone will get warm from streaming, because the constant network traffic (and it never stops).

Constant BT transmitting + network streaming is worse (now you have two radios going constantly).

If you are in a weaker signal area, then it will get even hotter because the radio has to push harder to get reception.
    03-25-11 02:50 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD