Hey everyone. I'm a long time crackberry reader but I haven't posted much. I have a little problem. I live in Montreal and we are used to cold weather but apparently my blackberry isn't. Is it just me or does the torchs touch screen not work properly in the cold. The screen jumps and acts really weird. Anyone else notice this?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-13-10 06:56 PM
    I find that below around -7C the touch screen will not be as responsive. And at around -17C a blackberry will turn off.

Also make sure to not be using gloves!!!

12-13-10 07:01 PM
    Well, I think a lot of touch screens do not work in extreme colds, since many are triggered by the heat your fingers exert.

12-13-10 07:03 PM
    Even when I take of my gloves it goes crazy. Under 17 it shuts off? That's horrible! What am I gonna do when its -40?:P

12-13-10 07:07 PM
    I'm 10minutes from montreal and notice the bottom buttons beside the trackpad get hard to push when its cold.
    12-13-10 08:18 PM
    I noticed this problem (I'm in Alaska) and for the most part, if I keep in in an inner pocket inside my coat, next to my body, it stays warm enough to use. It definitely rebels in an outer pocket once it gets cold. The keyboard still worked though. I haven't experienced it shutting off yet. If I do I will store it in an inner pocket with a hand warmer. I take it hiking a lot and use the GPS/internet while I am out so I will find a way to keep it warm!
    12-13-10 08:28 PM
    Silicone case things seem to help hold the heat in a tad.

12-13-10 10:03 PM
    Maybe because you are too fat!

Nice avatar
    12-14-10 01:08 AM
    I have the same problem. The screenwill be up while I type and then the screen goes black and then it comes back on again.

12-14-10 09:09 AM
    I recently took my phone out for the day snowmobiling. While the touchscreen worked fine(it was -5F), none of the buttons would work, neither the keyboard or front 4 as well as the touchpad.

I'm wondering if I should keep my old curve around for such instances since it regularly gets way below 0 here.
    12-14-10 09:11 AM
    I recently took my phone out for the day snowmobiling. While the touchscreen worked fine(it was -5F), none of the buttons would work, neither the keyboard or front 4 as well as the touchpad.

I'm wondering if I should keep my old curve around for such instances since it regularly gets way below 0 here.
    I've faced -16 without issues.

When fingers are too cold to finess the screen I whip out the keyboard.

Wonder what iphone users do =)

-

12-14-10 10:19 AM
    Even when I take of my gloves it goes crazy. Under 17 it shuts off? That's horrible! What am I gonna do when its -40?:P

Move to Louisville, KY where the sun always shines!
    12-14-10 10:24 AM
    My touchscreen seems to be working fine in the -20 we're having in the GTA...The keyboard gets a little stiff though when cold.

12-14-10 02:15 PM
    I'm in paris right now and I'm experiencing some issues as well, so I guess blackberries are meant to be working in the tropical areas!!!!

12-14-10 03:22 PM
    I'm in paris right now and I'm experiencing some issues as well, so I guess blackberries are meant to be working in the tropical areas!!!!

Kinda weird cuz the company is canadien lol. Whatever. They are great devices but you can't expect them to do everything. But why can't they heat up the screen instead of under the batery lol

12-14-10 04:15 PM

can you elaborate on "experiencing some issues"?

maybe your torch just doesent like being in france.

not an uncommon attitude.. I wouldent discount it

12-14-10 04:31 PM
    Capacitive touchscreens lose normal operation at around -10C. If you're getting some type of normal sensitivity below that threshold...thank RIM for using exceptional CTs.
    12-14-10 04:38 PM
    Its a Torch! It should keep everything nice and toasty! (pun intended)
    :-D

12-14-10 05:16 PM
    Get a stylus from the crackberry store ... I used to live in Boston and my 9000 and 9700 worked fine .. I don't know if the torch
    12-15-10 12:06 AM
    The handbook says that the device operating temperature range is from 0�C to 40�C; above or below these temperatures, I guess if it works, you're in luck... but it isn't designed for use outside of these temperatures.
    12-15-10 06:00 AM
    This is not my experience. I have used my Storm 9530, and Bold 9700 in temperatures well below -20, and didn't have a problem with either. I never let either phone sit in the snow mind you, but I have had them in my jacket pocket, got them out and called or texted, and put them back.

Neither device ever turned off on me, and my Storm's touchscreen was a bit 'laggy' but still seemed to work fine? Like I said though, they usually live in my reasonably warm pocket, and I probably only use them for 10 to 15 minutes in those temperatures at any given time.

PS, I live in Saskatoon, and saying it gets 'cold' here, is a massive understatement.
    12-15-10 06:20 AM
    Nah; all I'm saying is that, if they work outside of this range, that's awesome, but if they don't, well RIM didn't design them to...

Of my limited understanding of battery technology and chemistry, when it gets cold, they're less able to work. That's probably why the hardware might shut down.

Last week I had to wait a couple of hours at a bus stop in -14�C ambient; during this time my 9700 was sitting in my holster on my belt playing MP3s. The device temperature dropped to 12�C, so it's still well inside the operating temperatures. Now if I had it in my bag and not so close to me, it may well have shut down... dunno.

But... but... *not* have it next to me... never!

I had a few lady customers come into the store with a shut down handset during that week as it was unusually cold and their handsets were sitting in handbags and similar.
    12-15-10 06:28 AM
    Nah; all I'm saying is that, if they work outside of this range, that's awesome, but if they don't, well RIM didn't design them to...

Of my limited understanding of battery technology and chemistry, when it gets cold, they're less able to work. That's probably why the hardware might shut down.

Last week I had to wait a couple of hours at a bus stop in -14�C ambient; during this time my 9700 was sitting in my holster on my belt playing MP3s. The device temperature dropped to 12�C, so it's still well inside the operating temperatures. Now if I had it in my bag and not so close to me, it may well have shut down... dunno.

But... but... *not* have it next to me... never!

I had a few lady customers come into the store with a shut down handset during that week as it was unusually cold and their handsets were sitting in handbags and similar.
    Sorry, I wasn't slagging your post, I was just replying to the thread in general

I can't bring myself to do it, but perhaps if I let my BB sit in the cold for awhile, then tried to use it, I might experience these problems... Its pretty sad, but I don't think my phone is more than 2 feet away from me the entire time I'm awake during a day... and when I'm out in the cold, my BB stays even closer to me... I need BB attachment issue therapy
    12-15-10 06:37 AM
    Yeah sorry I reposted almost immediately, and again; I'm home with tonsillitis and that might make me seem grumpy.

And I know what you mean. The holster is the best and worst thing I could ever have for my BlackBerry. It's never far from me... ever...
    12-15-10 06:40 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD