I was reading all the material about the release of the phones coming up soon, and while I have really liked my Torch so far, I was wondering with the specs seemingly the same or very similar (no NFC w/ 9810), is the only real difference deciding if you want:
    (1) Slider vs. non
    (2) 360x480 display vs. 480x360 display?

Any opinions would be welcome, thanks!
    08-03-11 10:47 AM
    I'll be moving to the new 9900 & the wife wants the new 9810. Can't understand why RIM did not install NFC on all there new units.
    08-03-11 11:31 AM
    I'll be moving to the new 9900 & the wife wants the new 9810. Can't understand why RIM did not install NFC on all there new units.
    Is that confirmed?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-03-11 11:32 AM
    I like a slider phone, its really just that simple for me, I love my 9800 so the 9810 will be my next one
    08-03-11 12:08 PM
    You forgot the third option -- just sticking with the 9800. I'm upgrade eligible right now, but I haven't ruled out just holding on to what I have.
    08-03-11 01:57 PM
    Is that confirmed?

Maybe. Read this

http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...ry-nfc-634994/
    08-03-11 05:03 PM
    I feel the need for the 9900. I really don't like sliding my phone. I also loved my 9000.
    08-03-11 07:10 PM
    I'll be moving to the 9900 most likely. I like my Torch and it's been great. However, I find it tedious always sliding it up to type. I can't wait to have a regular candybar form factor again.
    08-03-11 08:21 PM
    If I get one... Gonna get the 9680? Well whateverr its called the full touch screen device. I have a bold 9780 right now but I really want to go all touchscreen... Really liking the feel. So iim waiting for it to come out and to see the full price of it. Then I'm deciding between it and the SGS2. Note how I didn't mention iphone for any of my choices :P

08-03-11 08:39 PM
    08-03-11 09:41 PM
    Hate the torch, loved the 9000. Moving to 9900 in 2013 when it's released on ATT.
    kirson likes this.
    08-04-11 12:29 AM
    I'm coming to Blackberry from an Android phone (Loved it but a 10 hour battery life is a step too far)

Really REALLY disappointed that the 9810 doesn't have NFC because that is the form factor I'm most interested in (and with the larger screen too) a phone has to be future proof for me (like to be cutting edge) I've ordered the 9900 (due on the 15th of August on Orange UK) but obviously concerned as to whether I'll get on with it being a first time blackberry user.

Anyway, I understand peoples point about it not being usable at the moment but you have to innovate to motivate, I.E. If you don't push cutting edge tech out (like NFC) it doesn't get adopted because it's not being pushed out, the endless loop begins.
    08-04-11 02:49 AM
    What is NFC?

08-04-11 04:12 AM
    I'm coming to Blackberry from an Android phone (Loved it but a 10 hour battery life is a step too far)

Really REALLY disappointed that the 9810 doesn't have NFC because that is the form factor I'm most interested in (and with the larger screen too) a phone has to be future proof for me (like to be cutting edge) I've ordered the 9900 (due on the 15th of August on Orange UK) but obviously concerned as to whether I'll get on with it being a first time blackberry user.

Anyway, I understand peoples point about it not being usable at the moment but you have to innovate to motivate, I.E. If you don't push cutting edge tech out (like NFC) it doesn't get adopted because it's not being pushed out, the endless loop begins.
    Why "really" disappointed? How many purchases do you imagine to be missed or even inconvenienced due to lack of NFC?

By the time the technology is improved to the point of practical use, you'll likely be ready to upgrade again.

Sure it would be nice to have it but I wouldn't be "really disappointed".
    08-04-11 06:54 AM
    By the way, there are conflicting reports about NFC support being available on the Torch 2.
    08-04-11 06:57 AM
    Why "really" disappointed? How many purchases do you imagine to be missed or even inconvenienced due to lack of NFC?

By the time the technology is improved to the point of practical use, you'll likely be ready to upgrade again.

Sure it would be nice to have it but I wouldn't be "really disappointed".
    I am disappointed, As said in my post I like my devices to be cutting edge and considering how useful it can be to corporate types already (If you work in an office you no doubt have a card tag to get in the building no?, This can be digitized onto your phone so you don't have to carry it around and so can your Oyster card (if you're in the UK)) So that's two less things to carry.

The Google Nexus S was the first with it and I will admit that was WAY before it's time but now the time is right, in the UK we have a moderate NFC based payment infrastructure so it seems relevant to be including it in devices.
    08-04-11 07:16 AM
    For me I love the torch since the first day I got it and I like the big touch screen on the phone so I think my next blackberry would be a torch 2 but if they come out with a white bold 9900 I don't know might just go for that

08-04-11 08:25 AM
    What is NFC?

Just type NFC into the search area and one of the things you will find is this:

http://crackberry.com/nfc-video-demo...erry-bold-9930

I am probably going to go with the Torch 2 since I already have a case and a few accessories for it, but I will check out the Bold 9900 when it comes in the fall to ATT. My upgrade time isn't until mid-October, so I have some time to check things out. However, I do love my Torch so the Torch 2 has the inside track.
    Last edited by newcollector; 08-04-11 at 09:54 AM.
    08-04-11 09:49 AM
    By the way, there are conflicting reports about NFC support being available on the Torch 2.
    They're only conflicting to the extent there are people who have not gotten the news: it does not have NFC. See Kevin's piece from this morning on the front page.
    08-04-11 11:02 AM
    08-05-11 02:13 AM
    What is NFC?

The simplest explanation is that its a smart chip that scans things, its not much use now anyway because there are not that many things out there to scan...
    08-12-11 03:33 AM
    Just to add here what is already known in other threads -- the 9810's camera is superior to the camera on the 9900 because RIM skimped on the 9900 camera to make the device thinner.
    08-12-11 06:18 AM
    I use to have the 9000; upgraded to 9800. I like the full screen and keyboard combination (full screen seems more fashion forward)... so 9810 will be my next upgrade until the qnx phone is available and all the bugs (if any) are flushed out. The camera is also going to be better on 9810 than on the 9900 too.
    08-15-11 02:43 PM
    I just like the upright screen. Better for browsing and reading texts, also great while messaging, as you can see a longer history above what you are typing.
    And I don't like the fact that the 9900 has no under-icon text.
    So if you are using touch-only input on the home-screen, you don't know what you are clicking unless you use the trackpad and hover over it.
    If anything I am more interested in the 985,6. That's one sexy device!
    08-15-11 03:35 PM
    I love the way the 9800 looks but remember when the 9000 came out, I thought it was too big for me. I have small carnie hands. j/k But since AT&T is delaying the 9900 release for so long, I'll have plenty of time to wait and see. I love reading the forum for the Bold to see what problems people are having. I don't think I'd upgrade to the Torch2. If I decide against the Bold 9900, I'll just wait for other device releases.
    08-15-11 05:13 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD