The Samsung Captivate would be a great phone and a keeper if it was a Samsung Epic, which has the slide out keyboard, dual flash and a foward facing camera to video chat but like I said the Captivate is not the Epic so I would go with the Blackberry Torch 9800.

Parting Note OnThe Blackberry Torch 9800: If a team has the other teams play book I would think you would be able to beat the other team. Blackberry (RIM) knew what the other teams had in their play book, they knew what type of screen, Camera, and processor each had, Blackberry had this information up front well before they rolled out the Blackberry Torch 9800. I love my Blackberry Bold 9000, but you must ask why didn't Blackberry Upgrade the Torch 9800 to at lease match what was out there on those other Smart Phones, why not wait and get it right the first time. I will stay with Blackberry and I will get the Blackberry Torch, but boy what a phone the Torch could have been, just think about that the President and Steve Jobs Waiting in line to get one.

juz jose
    08-07-10 11:47 AM
    The Samsung Captivate would be a great phone and a keeper if it was a Samsung Epic, which has the slide out keyboard, dual flash and a foward facing camera to video chat but like I said the Captivate is not the Epic so I would go with the Blackberry Torch 9800.
    I'll agree with you, the only thing that the Torch has going for it is the physical QWERTY. Other than that, I don't see where the Torch scores higher.
    08-07-10 03:29 PM
    I had the captivate and took it back. I also had the incredible and sent it back today. Still have the Droid X and will keep it, but use a Bold as my all day every day carry. I will have a Torch Thursday, yippie.
    08-07-10 08:37 PM
    Keep the Samsung Galaxy S Capitave. It is a much better smartphone. People on here bash Android and iOS platforms saying that it is only for games and fart apps, but in reality, the apps on Android are leaps and bounds ahead of the lackluster apps on the BlackBerry, and the AMOLED screen on the Captivate, especially at 4" is better than anything you are going to get on a BlackBerry. It is also faster because of its 1 Ghz processor, and it will be more up-to-date as you go through your contract due to its high-end specifications. The Torch will launch outdated.
    08-07-10 08:43 PM
    Jesus fat-fat, did you read any of this thread? ****, even if you read most of what the OP said in his first post you would realize he had the phone and is in a dilemma because he enjoys the BB OS....also nobody said on this specific thread that Andriod or iPhone were only good for "fart" apps or "games."

Read the thread....

Me, BB jusy works for me and can't wait to test drive the 9800, but unfortunately for me I am under contract for 14 more months and if I want it will have to go with ATT....or buy it outright and to do that, have to wait for TMobile. To get it....

I envy a lot of you guys right now.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-07-10 09:58 PM
    Early terminate TMO and move over to AT&T.
    08-07-10 10:09 PM
    I got the Captivate Thursday and used it extensively for two whole days. I am taking it back on Thursday to either get the the 9800 or just return it.

The screen is gorgeous without a doubt but many of the productivity tools I use regularly are just too cumbersome and the reception and voice quality not as good as my 9700.

I think the last straw for me was that I had to hit menu, more, new window, to get to the browser home page from another website. On my 9700 it is hitting *h*.

The dismal battery life added to that as well.

Just my 2 cents.

08-07-10 10:32 PM
    Your posting this on a CrackBerry forum where these addicts are on their BB's more then their wives. Of course were going to suggest the 9800...
    08-07-10 10:34 PM
    JC, I had ATT's horrible service once, don't really want that experience again,not to mention I don't have the funds to cancel our family plan as it would cost quite a bit to opt out...plus I have had better service with TMobile over any of the big 4...eventually it will hit Tmobile.

Also Andrew are you new here or just don't post much? Because as much as this is Crackberry and more geared for BB, there are many different users on here than you would think...we have the people who carry more than one phone, also have people that are interested in other platforms due to RIM not moving fast enough and are getting impatient and then the haters, which there are a ton on here as of late....I actually see as many people recommend Andriod or iPhone over Berries, heck is right here in this thread...kind of a shame, but competition is good....we need to step it up though.

08-08-10 06:33 AM
    I've never used a captivate before but from what the bb 9800 offers, its the best of both worlds. it has the communication tools, call quality and for the most part, really great battery life.

It was the internet and multimedia capabilities that really let itself down but was never something that really got to me because of the efficiency I got from blackberry's. OS 6 has changed all that for the better. I've heard the 9700 will also get the update and that something to consider as well when comparing the touchscreen hybrid of the 9800 torch to the touchscreen only captivate.

The internet browsing experience really tempted me away to something that android offered but i have never really been a fan of onscreen keyboards as I just type horribly on one but the browsing experience on a touchscreen in such a small device was something i liked.

I have dedicated devices such as a vado HD pocketable, netbooks etc and so when it came down to choosing a phone it the priority for me was down to communication such as call quality, reception and efficiency and as such i found using physicals key so much easier.

If you find the 9800 meeting your expectations and your happy to return the captivate, return it.. I know it has bothered me but the efficiencies and bbm outweigh the cons :P
    Last edited by zensen; 08-08-10 at 08:21 AM. Reason: added os 6 to clarify
    08-08-10 08:08 AM
    Personally, I would keep the Captivate.

Honestly, I think the 9800 looks like a nice phone. The problem is I've always thought of BlackBerry as a premium high end device and that just isn't the case here. At best the 9800 is a nice mid level device marketed as a premium device. Since I'm a car guy, I'm going to try and relate it to cars...

Let's say you've always been driving a Mercedes S Class, you love them, they're premium luxury cars and fit your lifestyle. But then as time goes by Mercedes just isn't making premium models like the S Class and has slipped to more run of the mill cars. Not bad cars, just nothing that really "wows" you. Maybe the S Class is now at the same level as a Honda Accord except priced as a Mercedes. Sure it's a good car, but it's no S Class and it's not marketed and priced accordingly.

That's the 9800. It's a Honda Accord from a manufacturer that used to build the S Class. IMO.

Rim needs an "S Class" and they don't have one. Now is the time when they need to hit a home run, not just second base.

So there you have it. I like the 9800 I'm just not impressed by it. Maybe I would have been last year or the year before, but not now. The Samsung Galaxy series on the other hand, has impressed me. And if you're pleased with them then I say stick with them. Android 2.2 is going to rock the Captivate too.
    I liked the way you compared them to cars because I totally got it.
    08-08-10 08:40 AM
    Yeah it was a pretty good analogy.

08-08-10 09:31 AM
    Jesus fat-fat, did you read any of this thread? ****, even if you read most of what the OP said in his first post you would realize he had the phone and is in a dilemma because he enjoys the BB OS....also nobody said on this specific thread that Andriod or iPhone were only good for "fart" apps or "games."

Read the thread....

Me, BB jusy works for me and can't wait to test drive the 9800, but unfortunately for me I am under contract for 14 more months and if I want it will have to go with ATT....or buy it outright and to do that, have to wait for TMobile. To get it....

I envy a lot of you guys right now.

I am not suggesting you get the phone, if you like BlackBerries good for you. I read the thread also. You all are riled up about there being much better options available for the price point (Captivate, iPhone 4, etc). You don't even have AT&T at that, so stay in your lane.
    08-08-10 02:53 PM
    Keep the Samsung Galaxy S Capitave. It is a much better smartphone. People on here bash Android and iOS platforms saying that it is only for games and fart apps, but in reality, the apps on Android are leaps and bounds ahead of the lackluster apps on the BlackBerry, and the AMOLED screen on the Captivate, especially at 4" is better than anything you are going to get on a BlackBerry. It is also faster because of its 1 Ghz processor, and it will be more up-to-date as you go through your contract due to its high-end specifications. The Torch will launch outdated.
    And if we are bashers for liking RIM on Crackberry forums, what does that make you? a troll?
    08-08-10 03:16 PM
    Parting Note OnThe Blackberry Torch 9800:Blackberry (RIM) knew what the other teams had in their play book, they knew what type of screen, Camera, and processor each had, Blackberry had this information up front well before they rolled out the Blackberry Torch 9800. I love my Blackberry Bold 9000, but you must ask why didn't Blackberry Upgrade the Torch 9800 to at lease match what was out there on those other Smart Phones
    I believe that RIM will match the other smartphones with their next Storm release, and they just wanted to introduce OS6 to the world with this phone first. I see the Torch as nothing more than a Bold with a full size touchscreen and updated OS. I think RIM wants the Storm to be their flagship device, and I think we will see hardware to match the iPhone and Android phones with the Storm 3 later this year or the Storm 4 in 2011. Will it be too little too late? Time will tell.
    08-08-10 09:16 PM
    Not everyone does. I love the Picanto and if you ever drove one you know what it's like to drive with 3 other passengers in it on level ground. Still, I would never give it up for another car. *shrug*
    08-08-10 09:39 PM
66 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD