Hey guys,

I just got the Torch yesterday and so far I'm loving it. However I do have a question for current or previous Bold 9700 owners. Do you find the keyboard on the Torch much softer to press than the 9700? I'm not sure if it's my Torch. Whenever I'm typing, I notice random keys don't make the clicking noise or have that clicky feel to it. So I end up hitting the key twice. I don't have this issue on my 9700. Is it my Torch or is it a matter of getting used to the keyboard? I have 12 days left to to test it out.

I have searched the forum and only found one thread in regards to this. But there was no comparison thread with the 9700.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    01-09-11 11:00 PM
    I feel the same way having come from a 9700. However I find that some keys just make a softer click than others. Mine almost always clicks whether its a distinct noise or feeling or a lot softer click
    01-09-11 11:04 PM
    Thanks for responding. So, should I exchange it for another one or give it a few more days and see if it gets worse? I still have my 9700 and 9000. It seems to me, RIM is getting somewhat worse with their keyboards. I really like the keyboard on the Torch. But the keyboard on the 9700and 9000 is way better. Just my opinion.
    01-09-11 11:10 PM
    I would take it back just as a precaution and exchange it. See if the the new one they bring out has the same feel to it as yours as it might just be how they are. Just mine has a click but my Torch keyboard creeks alot, just don't want to send it out for repair with Bell as I don't want to be without a phone for a few weeks. Its better safe than sorry at a later date. I agree but after a few months with the Torch I have gotten use to the Torch's keyboard
    wirelessgal likes this.
    01-09-11 11:14 PM
    Yea that's what I was thinking too. I don't want to regret it later on down the road. The BB (menu) button on your Torch, does it make a clicking sound when you hit it, like the 9700?
    01-09-11 11:21 PM
    Not really its very very soft sound more like a creek than a click like most of the other things on my Torch
    01-09-11 11:24 PM
    Mine is similar to yours but I can barely hear or feel anything when I hit the menu button. So I end up hitting it twice for the most part. Okay, more reason to exchange it for another one.
    01-09-11 11:28 PM
    Mine is similar to yours but I can barely hear or feel anything when I hit the menu button. So I end up hitting it twice for the most part. Okay, more reason to exchange it for another one.
    The bottom row of keys on my Torch (left caps, 0, space, sym, right caps) is a bit softer than most of the other keys on the upper rows, however it hasn't really bugged me and I've for the most part gotten used to it.

The issue you have to look at is that the thickness of your Torch with the screen -closed- is the same of the 9700 and a wee bit thinner than the 9000, when we look at actual space the engineering team had to work the keyboard into things, it's the smallest of any device made to date, as if you did away with the screen, The Torch would be the thinnest BlackBerry model RIM has made, and to try and stiffen things up, there is a piece of stainless steel behind your keyboard, something they didn't have to do with the 9000/9700.

If it's really bugging you, I'd suggest following the advice aznlgcy and using your right to an exchange, something I may end up doing with my Torch for another one (or possibly a different device).
    01-10-11 04:40 AM
    Hey guys,

I just got the Torch yesterday and so far I'm loving it. However I do have a question for current or previous Bold 9700 owners. Do you find the keyboard on the Torch much softer to press than the 9700? I'm not sure if it's my Torch. Whenever I'm typing, I notice random keys don't make the clicking noise or have that clicky feel to it. So I end up hitting the key twice. I don't have this issue on my 9700. Is it my Torch or is it a matter of getting used to the keyboard? I have 12 days left to to test it out.

I have searched the forum and only found one thread in regards to this. But there was no comparison thread with the 9700.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    The keyboard was the major reason which made me return the Torch after not being able to get used to it! I was always pressing 2 keys at the same time and the keys were like silent so you don't feel that you're really typing or not.

I returned it and actually got a 9700 again as I simply hated the virtual and physical keyboard, and the battery life was not up to my expectations.

I then upgraded to the 9780 and have been totally satisfied ever since then.
    01-10-11 04:47 AM
    I had the 9700 and have the 9800. Typing a lot and I have no problems with the keyboard. Tried to type on the 9700 again and it felt strange. So I guess it is all a question of getting used to. But my 9800 KB is very crisp and responsive. No problems so far..
    01-10-11 04:58 AM
    The bottom row of keys on my Torch (left caps, 0, space, sym, right caps) is a bit softer than most of the other keys on the upper rows, however it hasn't really bugged me and I've for the most part gotten used to it.

The issue you have to look at is that the thickness of your Torch with the screen -closed- is the same of the 9700 and a wee bit thinner than the 9000, when we look at actual space the engineering team had to work the keyboard into things, it's the smallest of any device made to date, as if you did away with the screen, The Torch would be the thinnest BlackBerry model RIM has made, and to try and stiffen things up, there is a piece of stainless steel behind your keyboard, something they didn't have to do with the 9000/9700.

If it's really bugging you, I'd suggest following the advice aznlgcy and using your right to an exchange, something I may end up doing with my Torch for another one (or possibly a different device).
    Yes I factored in the thickness of my Torch compared to my 9700 and 9000. RIM did a great job at the keyboard, no doubt. I compared my Torch to my brother's and his has a more "clicky" feel to it. I can "feel" all the letters as I type.

I'm going to give it a real good test today and see if it still bothers me. Everything else is perfect with my Torch. I would hate to exchange it for another problem. But the bottom line is I'll be using the keyboard a lot. I love Blackberry too much to leave them completely. Plus, I'm loving the Torch so far. I hope I get one with a better keyboard.
    01-10-11 11:56 AM
    The keyboard was the major reason which made me return the Torch after not being able to get used to it! I was always pressing 2 keys at the same time and the keys were like silent so you don't feel that you're really typing or not.

I returned it and actually got a 9700 again as I simply hated the virtual and physical keyboard, and the battery life was not up to my expectations.

I then upgraded to the 9780 and have been totally satisfied ever since then.

I'm glad you're loving your 9780. I thought about getting the 9780 but I don't plan on selling my 9700. It doesn't make sense for me to get the 9780 since they both look the same. Plus, I'm really enjoying the bigger screen on the Torch and the touchsceen is really nice. The keyboard on my Torch is not silent. I can hear the clicking noise, but random keys at times don't. That's the weird part is it's random keys and not the same keys.
    01-10-11 12:00 PM
    I'm glad you're loving your 9780. I thought about getting the 9780 but I don't plan on selling my 9700. It doesn't make sense for me to get the 9780 since they both look the same. Plus, I'm really enjoying the bigger screen on the Torch and the touchsceen is really nice. The keyboard on my Torch is not silent. I can hear the clicking noise, but random keys at times don't. That's the weird part is it's random keys and not the same keys.
    glad you are enjoying your Torch, I didn't say it's a bad BB. Just not my flavor
    01-10-11 12:07 PM
    glad you are enjoying your Torch, I didn't say it's a bad BB. Just not my flavor
    Thanks! Oh I wasn't implying that. If the Torch didn't exist, I would get the 9780. I still love my 9700!
    01-10-11 01:06 PM
    The Torch keyboard definitely has a different feel than the 9700 or the 9000. I've had all three. I still carry my 9700 as my work phone but I upgraded my personal phone to the 9800. I think there are two of my keys that don't click as loudly as the rest but its really no big deal, at least no for me. I love the larger screen and I'm actually getting pretty decent with virtual keyboard.
    01-10-11 02:22 PM
    it took some time for me to get use to the 9800 keys, definitely i love 9700 keys better, but meh!
    01-10-11 02:28 PM
    The Torch keyboard definitely has a different feel than the 9700 or the 9000. I've had all three. I still carry my 9700 as my work phone but I upgraded my personal phone to the 9800. I think there are two of my keys that don't click as loudly as the rest but its really no big deal, at least no for me. I love the larger screen and I'm actually getting pretty decent with virtual keyboard.

The annoying thing about my Torch is it's not specific keys that's not "clicky". It's random keys as I type. It could be the m, n, p, c or other keys. I love the larger screen too! Makes responding to a large email easier and faster!
    01-10-11 02:34 PM
    The annoying thing about my Torch is it's not specific keys that's not "clicky". It's random keys as I type. It could be the m, n, p, c or other keys. I love the larger screen too! Makes responding to a large email easier and faster!
    More proof that us crackheads are passiomate about our phones! I actually prefer the keyboard on my Torch over my 9700. It has a softer, more uniform feeling to it across all the keypad.
    I'm even typing this on the onscreen keyboard. Imagine that...choices! If you give in to the predictive text, it's actually pretty speedy.

IMHO the secret to success with this phone is to never look back. You married the gal/guy, now quit comparing her/him with the next-door neighbour or you'll be forever conflicted. ;-)

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-10-11 07:38 PM
    More proof that us crackheads are passiomate about our phones! I actually prefer the keyboard on my Torch over my 9700. It has a softer, more uniform feeling to it across all the keypad.
    I'm even typing this on the onscreen keyboard. Imagine that...choices! If you give in to the predictive text, it's actually pretty speedy.

IMHO the secret to success with this phone is to never look back. You married the gal/guy, now quit comparing her/him with the next-door neighbour or you'll be forever conflicted. ;-)

I'm a very proud crackhead! The Torch's keyboard is growing on me. It didn't take much time for me to fall in love with the 9700's keyboard. RIM's keyboard layout and design is by far the best in the industry!
    I was using the onscreen keyboard for a bit. Yes the predictive text does make typing faster!

I'm married to Blackberry forever.
    01-10-11 08:17 PM
    Love the Torch keyboard as well, found it a pretty simple transition. Sometimes, however, when I nake a "typo" I find myself placing in just the most obscure symbols ever. No idea what I have been accidently hitting to make this possible?

01-10-11 08:22 PM
    Does anyone here work for Best Buy in Canada? I called them not too long ago and they told me the exchange policy is 14 days or 30 mins whichever comes first. I've purchased many phones from Best Buy outright and was told 14 days and no limits on calls. Can anyone confirm this? I'll call another Best Buy location tomorrow.
    01-10-11 08:32 PM
    My Best Buy receipt says 14 days, no mention of minutes. Bought my Torch from them in Nov/2010.

Keyboard is different from the Bold, no doubt about that. I definitely type cleaner on the Bold, but I'm in agreement with Webmaster, no looking back. I'm using both virtual and physical keyboards, thumbs with the slideout, and the old two index finger method in landscape mode with the phone laying flat. Lots of options with this device.
    01-10-11 10:14 PM
    My Best Buy receipt says 14 days, no mention of minutes. Bought my Torch from them in Nov/2010.

Keyboard is different from the Bold, no doubt about that. I definitely type cleaner on the Bold, but I'm in agreement with Webmaster, no looking back. I'm using both virtual and physical keyboards, thumbs with the slideout, and the old two index finger method in landscape mode with the phone laying flat. Lots of options with this device.

That's what I thought too. I was told many times it's 14 days up until now. I'll raise some **** tomorrow. I just want to exchange it if I have to. The more I use the Torch, the more I'm getting used to the keyboard. But there's the occasional keys that don't click. I'm trying not to stress over it and enjoy my Torch. I agree with you. I was using the onboard keyboard just now. I love having more than one way to type. Also loving the touchscreen, especially if I'm responding to a long email. Love that I can scroll down quickly to read the contents on a previous email.
    01-10-11 10:38 PM
    Good luck with BB (BestBuy) and the Torch. You're warming up to it faster than I did! I still have a bit of a hate on with touchscreen devices, but this one delivers the larger screen with more options, and I'm finding my groove. And it just plain looks pretty sweet!
    01-10-11 10:44 PM
    Thank you! I'm gonna need it, esp. with Best Buy. Yea surprisingly I'm warming up to the Torch a lot faster than I thought. It took me awhile to warm up to the Bold 9000, but literally a couple of hours with the 9700. The Torch is completely different, so I thought it would take me longer. I've used touchscreen phones before, so it didn't take long before I got used to it. The Torch is the best of all worlds!
    01-10-11 10:48 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD